Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

36K time for new tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my car back form Service #3. Tire wear report show 3 tires at 3/32 & one at 2/32 after 36K and rotating these Primacys every 5K. I have an 85S so probably going to go with Cinturato P7 Plus. Car is generally not driven in snow, so all I care about is wet/dry.

The Michelin Primacy MXM4 is actually a superb grand touring tire -- quiet, handles well, and probably the most efficient tire you can put on the Model S.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus is an extremely highly rated tire and would serve you well. It's likely to have the longest tread life, but may be a bit noisier than the Primacy, a bit less efficient, and some people have mentioned that it can have some traction issues on launches.

Other choices for 19" Grand Touring all-seasons:

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus
GoodYear Eagle Touring T0 Tesla (with sound reduction foam)
Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP (run-flat version)
Kumho Solus TA71 (good ratings, least expensive)

Anyone know what the loss in efficiency would be to go with the Michelin Primacy MXM4 ZP with run flats? I know my current BMW chews through P7 Cintuartos run flats every 30k or so, even with rotation.

I don't know that you'd lose too much efficiency. You're more likely to have increased road noise, harsher ride, and lower tread life.

Where you'd lose efficiency is if the ride is too harsh and you lower the tire pressure to try to compensate.

There's roughly a 5-6 lb difference per tire. That wouldn't decrease efficiency?

Weight matters, but not as much as rolling resistance, which is a function of the internal construction of the tire and the rubber compound used.

That said, I don't know that anyone has reported on this forum how well the Primacy MXM4 ZP version has worked for them. Theoretically I would not think there should be too much efficiency loss (compared to say, a max performance summer tire), but the reality is that no one has confirmed this.

Thanks for the replies. I'm getting what I think to be a great deal on the Perilli's ($169 each) so I'm going to give those a shot. I don't launch so that shouldn't be an issue for me.

I want more treadlife, father. (edited for TV :))

I will never stray from the Primacies. I took a chance and switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, worst decision ever. They lasted only 15,000 miles despite having the same tread rating as the Primacy and caused my energy consumption to increase by at least 5%. Stick with the Primacy, it's the best all around tire for the Model S.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I took a chance and switched to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, worst decision ever.

It's unfortunate that you ended up with the A/S 3 instead of the more recent A/S 3+. The 3+ is a totally different tire and you would have had a much different experience with it. (The 3+ may not have been available yet when you bought the 3's).

Does anyone have any real data on energy consumption between the Primacies and the stock Goodyear tires on 19" wheels?

The Primacy's are a low-rolling resistance tire, while the GoodYears are not listed as such. However, Tesla would not have selected the GoodYears as the current OEM tire if they did not have good energy usage characteristics. I would wager that they're close to the Primacy's in efficiency, but reports on this forum as well as my own experience suggest that the Primacy MXM4 remains the king.

• Informative
Reactions: SpoolUp
The Primacy's are a low-rolling resistance tire, while the GoodYears are not listed as such. However, Tesla would not have selected the GoodYears as the current OEM tire if they did not have good energy usage characteristics. I would wager that they're close to the Primacy's in efficiency, but reports on this forum as well as my own experience suggest that the Primacy MXM4 remains the king.
I'm still undecided on if I will get another set of Goodyears when my current set is worn out. I have never had good luck with Goodyears in the past and I will be satisfied if I get 20k out of them. They are still holding strong at 18.5k and that is better than any set of tires I have had on any EV I have had so far.

Only had them a week, but so far the Pirelli's are doubleplusgood. Hopefully I still feel the same way 36K miles from now. :)

Just got mine put on this am. They said to give them about 1,000 miles to really settle in before making any strong judgement calls on them.

They are definitely quieter than my winter tires (Nokkian R2s) but hard to remember vs the Michelins.

Time will tell on how they do. If they don't get at least 50K miles out of them i'll go back to the Michelins next time.