Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

370 miles of range!!!!!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asking the important questions! Also, I wonder if the new control arms and wheel bearings can be swapped in.

I only recently just bought a used Model S 75D, I love it, bu with refreshes coming thick and fast and the uk about to get the model 3, the residual value of my Model S might drop significantly, tempted to take a small loss now and upgrade to a new 100D!

Before anyone says, i know all cars lose value! i'm just trying to reduce the amount!

I only recently just bought a used Model S 75D, I love it, bu with refreshes coming thick and fast and the uk about to get the model 3, the residual value of my Model S might drop significantly, tempted to take a small loss now and upgrade to a new 100D!

Before anyone says, i know all cars lose value! i'm just trying to reduce the amount!

I wouldn't necessarily trade in your 75D based on these upgrades. Keep in mind, that this is very normal for Tesla and you could just as likely run into this same problem with whatever new-shiny gets added to the Model S next week.

Mass produced EV is still relatively new. I am wondering will the S made in the past few years in a decade still have options to replace the battery, drive trains, etc ... much like replacing an iphone 3 battery, screen will be hard to come by or not cost effective.

Well the 370 range is huge to some people. Wife drives her X100D about 200 miles each way routinely. She drives fast, and rolls into town with 30 miles left. Which is some but not a lot. X had 295 range advertised, so an extra 75 range (maybe 50 real world her speed) means she gets into town with 80. Thats a big big difference. And makes other trips for us doable as a family.

Reactions: thisisdiddy
Well the 370 range is huge to some people. Wife drives her X100D about 200 miles each way routinely. She drives fast, and rolls into town with 30 miles left. Which is some but not a lot. X had 295 range advertised, so an extra 75 range (maybe 50 real world her speed) means she gets into town with 80. Thats a big big difference. And makes other trips for us doable as a family.

It is a big difference, to be sure. This is why I am wondering if we can get a hold of upgraded wheel bearings. If those were to buy us older cars 2% and swapping to new tires gets us another 2%, we could be looking at 12-15mi additional range without taking a depreciation hit.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I refuse to give up free Supercharging - The only thing I'd trade my 2015 Model S for would be a pre-owned Model X, when prices drop below $50K.

are you sure free SCing is so valuable? I too was worried about having to give up free SCing for life as i've recently been doing a lot of SCing, but the good folks at TeslaFi showed me that I wasn't doing quite as much SCing vs Level 2 charging as I thought, and i'm would basically be spending under $300/year (rounding up, not down) if I had to pay for SCing vs it being free now.. which certainly doesn't change the math that much. even if I kept my car for 5 years, that would only be $1500 in SCing costs... or an extra $25/month on my monthly payment... free SCing certainly "feels" more valuable to me than that.. but when you see the cold hard math, you realize the "free" part might be making you think irrationally.

I agree.. in some ways, the extra 35 miles in not that much.. but in other ways, it is a game changer.. like your wife, I like to drive my Model S FAST.. it's nice to be able to do long trips, and not have to worry about having a lil juice for unforeseen errands after a long trip.

these are exciting times.

now if only I could convince Tesla to install a Pano roof on my next Model S... the I would be golden.

I charge about 1500 miles a month via superchargers. At 3 miles per kilowatt thats 500 kWh, for 24p (UK) per kWh thats £120. Thats effectively a 15% discount per month which is what put the MS into my price range as a personal car used for work as that drops the per month costs to £700.

The only reason I see they won't transfer the supercharging is to get people off free SC pronto. If it's not that then what does it matter whether I use it in a new or used Model S.

So the inefficient yet punchy rear induction motors stay for S and X?

For the less punchy Standard Range, could the Model 3 motor not only be placed in the front but also as a rear? Wouldn't that improve track-ability (overheating under hard loads), efficiency at >75mph, etc?

• Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
There were reports of a larger PM motor and that may still happen.
S/X seem to be come FWD car with an auxiliary hooligan drive unit on the rear axle for atypical torque demand. If you are to make a car that goes far and does well at the traffic light, it's the way to go.
To sell more Model S, they should just bite the bullet and make a wagon with towing. And a RWD PM version. Or just that PM motor front and rear. I've heard that can't be done but not clear as to why. For hooligans, why not two of those PM motors on the reat axle for staggering extended track performance?

Awesome news!! I still wish that Tesla would announce some of this stuff in advance. The upgrade path is a big deal to many car buyers and it makes people mad who just bought a car last week. Many argue it would destroy the value at year end, but I argue that they discount inventory cars all the time just like every other ICE car dealer does... I would just love to plan ahead and get the latest and greatest!! Still waiting for HUD, blindspot, topview camera, new interior, CarPlay (or similar)...

Reactions: Macbest and Inside
Awesome news!! I still wish that Tesla would announce some of this stuff in advance. The upgrade path is a big deal to many car buyers and it makes people mad who just bought a car last week. Many argue it would destroy the value at year end, but I argue that they discount inventory cars all the time just like every other ICE car dealer does... I would just love to plan ahead and get the latest and greatest!! Still waiting for HUD, blindspot, topview camera, new interior, CarPlay (or similar)...
The items on your list would indeed be great to have and so long as the new interior wasn't model 3ish would have me seriously consider upgrading. Hopefully soon and not Elon soon. However I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: Inside
The drive train and battery charging improvements sound like impressive technical achievements, and I expect they will improve the owner experience. The new air suspension also could be an impressive improvement, if Tesla has done it well. But I do not think any of these changes will increase the (lagging?) sales. I doubt many people have been hesitating to buy a Tesla over a range difference of 25 or 30 miles. What I think would possibly improve sales is an interior that makes the cars look and feel like the competition, with better materials, better fit and finish, and so on. More options for colors, materials, finishes and features might help as well. But I also think Tesla sales are probably suffering because so much of the recent Tesla news is so negative, with the chaos in pricing, uncertainty about stores, terrible used car delivery stories, and reputation for poor reliability. The early adopters put up with a lot of uncertainty and what they deemed minor crap. But the competition is revving up and Tesla needs to step up its game across the board to improve, or even hold, its place in the market for high-end cars.