Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, I had problems for the first time in a while yesterday. I had to re-boot the centre console because 3G was down in my car all morning. This was with Energy Savings OFF and Always Connected unchecked.

This, however could have been related to the wonky sound volume and Range Assurance behaviour my wife was experiencing the day before as she drove home from Huntsville.

I went for my 2nd annual inspection over a week ago and this is one of the tings I asked them to look into and this is what was written in the repair doc ...

Verified MCU for poor 3G connection . No trouble found. Proactively performed a gateway,
MCU and cluster reset. Also put the MCU energy saving mode OFF and always
connected

since then it has been behaving without issue. Will report back if it rears its ugly head ...

This is just getting ridiculous. I've been dealing with this issue since last year too and they just keep saying it'll be fixed in the next update, and we've had several since then. Who's with me in putting together a petition requesting a refund on our Tech packages if we don't get a fix soon?

I've had recent trouble where the car says I have a decent/good 3G connection, but Slacker won't play any tracks. In the past I did a full reboot, but today I went into app settings and hit "Restore" under the Slacker section of the Media Player App. Slacker came back to life almost instantly. I do find though that if I drive through even a small area that loses cell reception it takes the car a long time to restore the 3G connection....like 3-4 minutes sometimes.

This is just getting ridiculous. I've been dealing with this issue since last year too and they just keep saying it'll be fixed in the next update, and we've had several since then. Who's with me in putting together a petition requesting a refund on our Tech packages if we don't get a fix soon?

I up for that.

- - - Updated - - -

I went for my 2nd annual inspection over a week ago and this is one of the tings I asked them to look into and this is what was written in the repair doc ...

since then it has been behaving without issue. Will report back if it rears its ugly head ...

but it should work in energy savings on always connected and it doesn't.

I heard informally that they are still working on this (Canadian) problem. There is a test mule up in Canada and I believe they are testing a software fix - so far successfully. No word on a potential release date but I have 249 and its not in there.

Is anyone else still having this issue? My latest software update was installed on Sunday but I still have random 3G outages in areas that have perfect cell signals - yesterday I had about a 10 minute outage from the time I left home until it kicked in.

Nothing has changed for me -- the issue is still an issue.

Ditto for me, except the opposite: no issue. The exception to this is if I happen to park and later start the car in a low signal area. Then I have, on rare occasions, experienced the drop out. But at home and work where I normally park, no issues at all... even when it flips back to 3G from WiFi parked in my garage. I can't help but wonder if this issue is somehow exacerbated by being in a weak signal area.

I have the issue when moving from an area of a weak signal (like the parking garage at work) but it most often happens when leaving the wifi connection in my garage at home.

Interesting. The only thing I notice when leaving the WiFi from home is that Slacker will pause for about 5 seconds when I'm about a block away. I assumed it was because the buffer had to catch up on the 3G from where it left off on WiFi. No issue with the maps or any other aspect of the 3G connection though. Certainly not the drop out as being discussed here. I know @Duckjybe has this problem big time, and his car and mine are very close in manufacturing dates (mine is Feb 2013), so a hardware difference seemed unlikely. And the fact that newer cars are still seeing the problem points to something else as well. Very odd indeed.

I have the issue when going from an area of no service as well. I didn't realize it for a while because of the cashed maps. It takes about twenty minutes to connect again (or a power cycle). New behaviour in 6.x.