Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. It's like the connection 'crashes' and then takes some time to reconnect. It started for me, right after a recent software update.

Glad your resurrected my old thread because I still have problems. After three inspections where I flagged the issue with no permanent resolution. 3 weeks ago, I put my "energy savings" to ON and "always connected" unchecked since I noticed it was draining my battery 10-12 km per night. But I'm now back to the /G connectivity crashing either at the beginning of the drive or right in the middle with minutes (5-30) before it comes back. Awfully annoying.

Spoke with SC again yesterday about the Software update requirement prompt; they again suggested to keep off WiFi and let the update come on its' own on 3G. Don't want to be negative, but I'm not optimistic that this will help. Will update later this week.
That seems counter intuitive and contrary to what I've heard before. Was this suggestion AT LEAST prefaced with "I have no idea if this will help, but perhaps..." to make it clear what the value of their comment is? One of my pet peeves is when people instantiate misinformation and pass if off as fact.

That seems counter intuitive and contrary to what I've heard before. Was this suggestion AT LEAST prefaced with "I have no idea if this will help, but perhaps..." to make it clear what the value of their comment is? One of my pet peeves is when people instantiate misinformation and pass if off as fact.
Unfortunately we've seen this behaviour a LOT from Tesla service people. Tesla really needs to teach it's people that it's ok to say "I don't know" and then look up an answer.

Unfortunately we've seen this behaviour a LOT from Tesla service people. Tesla really needs to teach it's people that it's ok to say "I don't know" and then look up an answer.
Completely agreed! There's no shame in saying, "I don't know". In fact, I respect those kind of people the most (provided there are some things they do know, or they make an effort to figure out the correct information).

I was in the Vancouver SC yesterday. They FOR SURE know about the problem - they're taking the brunt of it because we're all complaining! I was told it's an issue with the roaming we do between the three main carriers up here - not a big issue down south, because they all tend to lock to AT&T (I think).

Their understanding is that the fix is being worked on, but we won't see it until sometime on or after September 25th, because that's when the portion of the firmware affected is next scheduled to be rolled into the big package.

Or so I was told. I'll be interested to see if the fix appears that far out, or sooner. But bottom line, they know and are working on a fix... so there's nothing to be gained by teeing off on them.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
On our recent "Lake Huron tour" 1200 km road trip in Ontario we experienced lost 3g a dozen times. We switched to our 4g LTE smart phone hotspot to maintain connectivity when 3g failed, and went back to 3g when it became available again. A Tesla without internet is a lot less fun!

I explained the situation to my wife, and then said there is a $500 upgrade to 4g LTE available, and she said "get that done, it will be better for resale anyway, and we can enjoy it now". My wife loves her Tesla, and wants the best for it. ;-)

• Funny
Reactions: Lon12
My 3g has been acting up alot. Even driving the 401 I am loosing signal. Might be time to upgrade to LTE!

Same here. I just contacted service to arrange an appointment.

I was not experiencing the issue since I had the LTE Retrofit done (which wasn't $500 btw it was around $700 CAD now)... but I had a loaner earlier this week and it was really bad. Dropped every 15-20minutes of driving

Was the loaner LTE or 3G?

I was in the Vancouver SC yesterday. They FOR SURE know about the problem - they're taking the brunt of it because we're all complaining!

Do you know if it's only a 3G problem only ? Is your car 3G?

Do you know if it's only a 3G problem only ? Is your car 3G?
It wasn't stated specifically, but I inferred clearly that it was a 3G issue, as that's what I have in my car. The loaner I had for the afternoon (P90D) had LTE and I saw no dropouts in the two to three hours I was driving around. I also didn't see much noticeable speed improvement with the LTE for web browsing. I know others would dispute that observation, but that was my honest impression. I had been pondering an upgrade to LTE and frankly the same-old, same-old slow browser cured me of that. In reality, slacker loads in the background, so the potential LTE speed improvement is irrelevant, so it's only the browser that would benefit IMHO. And the browser we're stuck with is so lousy, I'll pull out my phone if I want to do something that requires a full browser experience. So what would upgrading do for me? In suggest - 'nothing'...

I will be interested to see if there is an update at the end of September that solves this problem.