Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G connectivity issues since V6.xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so 2.34.100 has no more 3G drops outs, yay, but on my trip from Calgary to Vancouver, when I went to reverse into the Revelstoke and Hope supercharger, my center console screen froze up. Thats never happened before. I felt vulnerable and exposed without my backup camera as the large gray Tesla logo appeared when it self-reset.

Okay, so 2.34.100 has no more 3G drops outs, yay, but on my trip from Calgary to Vancouver, when I went to reverse into the Revelstoke and Hope supercharger, my center console screen froze up. Thats never happened before. I felt vulnerable and exposed without my backup camera as the large gray Tesla logo appeared when it self-reset.

My policy is to always manually reboot the center screen after all software updates. There always seems to be some glitchiness after the update happens, and a reboot clears it.

Does the 3G connect any faster after a reboot? That's always been the painfully slow one for me (10-20 minutes). On 7.0 I don't have any issues with dropping, it's just the eons it takes to connect in the first place really.

Mine used to be like that. After the update that caused the frequent dropouts (2.24.78) I noticed something strange. While the frequent dropouts were annoying, it did re-connect a lot faster. Prior to 2.24.78 it would take forever: first you'd see the signal bars, then an eternity would pass before the 3G light came on and service was restored. Lately, the signal bars and 3G light come on simultaneously.

My policy is to always manually reboot the center screen after all software updates. There always seems to be some glitchiness after the update happens, and a reboot clears it.
I probably should have done that, but I figured the auto reboot after a crash counts? In any case, my car is now updating to 2.34.115.

my 3g "light" and signal bars come on at exactly the same time... 20 minutes after I reboot the centre console. how long after a reboot before you have connectivity?
I'll reboot after I get my car back and try to time this for you, unless someone else beats me to it.

Interestingly since 6.2 I only have to hold the scroll buttons for 5 seconds to reboot the center console. It use to be 20.
It took 2 reboots to clear the problem that the media playback position button was not moving during USB media playback

For the first time today I saw an E (Edge) above the bars on the screen, while driving far from town. So they've definitely made some improvements to the cellular firmware.
I've seen that in fringe coverage areas quite often in the past. I have the .100 version and saw it flip to Edge this evening.

I was hoping the update had solved the 3G issue, but after I drove through a dead area today, it didn't reconnect where it should have. Maybe it's more reliable than it was the past few weeks, but still not 100%.

my 3g "light" and signal bars come on at exactly the same time... 20 minutes after I reboot the centre console. how long after a reboot before you have connectivity?

The longest I've had to wait is sub-10 minutes. Usually, it would cut out every 20 minutes or so, but be back in around 5 minutes. Prior to the firmware that introduced the bug, it would take a LOOOONG time to come back.

For the first time today I saw an E (Edge) above the bars on the screen, while driving far from town. So they've definitely made some improvements to the cellular firmware.

I get "E"dge quite a bit over the years when I'm down in the Niagara region. It is next to useless at those speeds.

Problem seems to be gone now since last patch. Good.

Except a new problem has been introduced: Every time I start the car, the main headlights flash before the DRLs come on. This is not good for HID bulbs and will shorten their life. I hope Tesla fixes this soon!

i am still waiting for the software update, i seem to consistently be one of the last to receive OTA updates. any idea how one gets boosted up the priority list for software updates (other than calling each time)?

I'm not sure about this but I noticed long ago that I would receive updates very late if the car was connected to my house's Wifi. I deleted it so I'm always on the car's 3G connection and I consistently get the updates within a few days of them being released.