Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Pricing - Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, I went for my long drive and I do feel a lot better. But guess what, during my nice long drive in the canyons, in an area that I haven't been before, the stupid Screen went black except for the pointer. No 3G, no maps, no way to know where I was going. This is pure crap. I am not bothered by paying for 3G. I am horrified at having to pay a monthly charge OF ANY AMOUNT for something I for which I have already paid! I bought GPS and Nav and I expect it to work all of the time. I shouldn't have to carry a hand held GPS to correct for the operational gaps in this system - monthly charge or not.

Assuming you have the tech package, you need to have the GPS up on the dash to keep getting navigation when offline, IIRC.

What exactly is dependent on the 3G?

- Google maps
- Slacker, which is also going to cost more as well when the basic service that came with the car expires, right?
- Internet radio (called Tune-In, I think?)

Anything else?

I'll miss Slacker somewhat, but given it'll cost at some point regardless of the 3G I wasn't going to rebuy it anyway. Now, if the monthly fee includes Slacker then that does add a little bit to the value.

I can't really get upset with Tesla for whatever the final cost is if all they're doing is passing it along. I may not find value in it at the tentative $30 price point, but there's not much point in yelling at Tesla. As someone else noted, if Tesla were to eat the 3G cost for the life of the vehicle that'd be a huge hit to their profit margins.

Since we all seem to be chiming in, I'll add my 2 bits...

I think that if someone wants 3G/4G/LTE as a complete stand alone then $30 isn't terrible. Hard to get any device with 3g without paying at least that much if it is a stand alone device.

I think that 95% of us should be allowed to add on 3G/4G/LTE in our Tesla to our existing cellular account--which for most of us would be an additional $10/mo.

I think the option of tethering with no imbedded 3G should be available, but, IMO, this is less than ideal, my wife's phone doesn't tether, I'd like the car to be able to receive updates and to be able to access the various app functions at all times. it is not the option I would choose, but can understand that for some it would be adequate.

Finally, if we are forced to pay the $30 rate it is inevitable that someone is gonna hack this thing, figure out where the SIM is located and we're all gonna be replacing the SIM with a much cheaper option, probably an add on to our cellular accounts or Straight-Talk or something like that.

Since we all seem to be chiming in, I'll add my 2 bits...

I think that if someone wants 3G/4G/LTE as a complete stand alone then $30 isn't terrible. Hard to get any device with 3g without paying at least that much if it is a stand alone device.

I think that 95% of us should be allowed to add on 3G/4G/LTE in our Tesla to our existing cellular account--which for most of us would be an additional $10/mo.

I think the option of tethering with no imbedded 3G should be available, but, IMO, this is less than ideal, my wife's phone doesn't tether, I'd like the car to be able to receive updates and to be able to access the various app functions at all times. it is not the option I would choose, but can understand that for some it would be adequate.

Finally, if we are forced to pay the $30 rate it is inevitable that someone is gonna hack this thing, figure out where the SIM is located and we're all gonna be replacing the SIM with a much cheaper option, probably an add on to our cellular accounts or Straight-Talk or something like that.

I agree with everything (although I'm not interested in removing panels to add my own SIM)

I should add, that if I can buy a hotspot device that can be left in the car and I can add it to my plan for an additional $10, then that would work as well.

I know. It's terrible. This was from the rooftop of a parking garage in the Chicago area. I think it's just very congested.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Kevin, how do we most easily measure the speed?

- - - Updated - - -

The title of this thread is quite misleading. There's nothing remotely official (even 1% official, whatever that means) about it. For all we know, some developer pulled a placeholder number out of their proverbial a** and put it in their code and moved on.

Refreshing. Thanks, Cinergi. Heard there will be battery exchanges for the Model S on the highway, right?

Not an owner (yet), but two related thoughts...

1) Currently, the $30 plan sounds like the month-to-month that an iPad can have. If you were able to add this to an existing account, you may need to pay an activation fee.

2) Also, once this gets associated with a contract/account, you would be looking at a 2-yr minimum. If Tesla was to offer upgrades to 4G/LTE, you may need yo either wait for your current contract to end or pay an early termination fee.

Let's be real here. I paid the better part of $4000 for a Nav system package. I EXPECT to get a Nav package that WORKS without additional fees, just like every other car brand on the planet...(edited for the sake of digital storage worldwide) ... these are ancient technologies we are talking about and there should be no problems at least matching equivalent cars.
Damnit, I'm going to go drive somewhere.

I give Gtimbers an A-plus for effort and style as well. Content, dunno, but you got style, Kid. Hope that drive "somewhere" went well. And you have a point about the Tech Package Nav and connectivity charge being separate costs.

If Tesla is really paying $30 per month per car for the service, then really, they need a new Sourcing/Procurement department. Honestly, any schmo off the street can get 3GB of 4G bandwidth for that price. Tesla, making an exclusive deal with them, couldn't do any better?

I am seeing a whole lot of this! I mean think about how much you pay for your cell/smart phone now. Mobile communications are EXPENSIVE in the USA.

This is EXACTLY what I expected. I mean look at ATT pricing for data. Why would they give Tesla a price break? I bet Tesla at least negotiated for 'unlimited' data.

ATTDataPlan.png

And I fully expect for Tesla to keep your 'data' connected if you don't purchase the data agreement. That means your phone app will work, and you will get updates remotely. I don't expect google maps, or slacker, or the internet to work. I also hope that they have WiFi working by then. So I can just put my phone on the floor, on top of a NFC sticker under the carpet and my phone automagically turns on WiFi sharing.

This is EXACTLY what I expected. I mean look at ATT pricing for data. Why would they give Tesla a price break? I bet Tesla at least negotiated for 'unlimited' data.
Yep, the problem is a car doesn't really fit the usage profile of any of those items. You use a phone, tablet, gaming item very frequently and for the ubiquitous always-with-you nature of the device. You only use the Tesla while you're driving it, barring rare occasions where you'd be browsing while parked at a supercharger or some such. The usage model just doesn't fit the pricing plans. And the usage profile is very restricted, basically Google Maps and streaming music.

I'm sure the plan on paper looks fine for $30/month, but when compared to how it's going to be used, that's expensive. Who'd spend $30/month for Google Maps?

Tesla NEEDS to keep Google maps operative regardless if we sign up for the added charge or not. They are OBLIGATED to meet their commitment for Nav and GPS for owners who paid for it up front. Web, Slacker, traffic data and all of the other 3G related services are certainly not Tesla's responsibility for free. That has been understood from the very beginning.

Tesla NEEDS to keep Google maps operative regardless if we sign up for the added charge or not. They are OBLIGATED to meet their commitment for Nav and GPS for owners who paid for it up front. Web, Slacker, traffic data and all of the other 3G related services are certainly not Tesla's responsibility for free. That has been understood from the very beginning.

They really don't (unfortunately). The nav "works" without Google maps. In a no 3G situation you can enter an address, and the instrument cluster nav screen will come up and properly direct you to your destination. They are currently meeting their obligations in this regard.

That said, the nav in this situation sucks. No destination by name, no full screen map, no zooming in/out, no visual route overview.

Last edited:
Yep, the problem is a car doesn't really fit the usage profile of any of those items. You use a phone, tablet, gaming item very frequently and for the ubiquitous always-with-you nature of the device. You only use the Tesla while you're driving it, barring rare occasions where you'd be browsing while parked at a supercharger or some such. The usage model just doesn't fit the pricing plans. And the usage profile is very restricted, basically Google Maps and streaming music.

I'm sure the plan on paper looks fine for $30/month, but when compared to how it's going to be used, that's expensive. Who'd spend $30/month for Google Maps?

The same people who pay $15 a month to browse the internet on their iPad at a coffee shop that probably has free WiFi, and has a $30 a month data plan on their phone in their pocket at the same time.

I would contend that the Tesla would use MORE data than a tablet. I don't really stream music on my phone, I doubt many people do it on a tablet. And a daily constant streaming of music, and maps would be a good bit of data. Lets take Slacker for an instance. They stream 128kbps. Which ends up being a little under 1MB a minute of playing. Lets say you stream music on your commute say an hour a day for 20 days a month. You are at 1GB of data, with nothing but Slacker. So while the use is way different than a iPad, I would say the potential to use data in to the GB range is quite high. Certainly over the 250MB you get with a tablet.

And I pay $120 a month for two phones, unlimited text/calling, with 5GB and 2GB data plans (that get 'throttled' sometimes but still work for email after their caps) with tethering. I think that is expensive, so yes I think $30 a month for Google maps, and slacker radio, is expensive. I was NEVER planning on paying for monthly data. If it was sub $10 I probably still wouldn't.

No. They sold offline navigation, if you got the tech package, and it is what is displayed on your dash screen. It works without signal. So no they are NOT OBLIGATED to give you internet.

Large screen aside, why would anyone pay the thousands for NAV then when my 300 dollar stand alone GPS will do the job better and I get lifetime updates included? I don't see the point of having the big screen if you can't use it for anything.

Large screen aside, why would anyone pay the thousands for NAV then when my 300 dollar stand alone GPS will do the job better and I get lifetime updates included? I don't see the point of having the big screen if you can't use it for anything.

The "big screen" controls the whole car! Just b/c the google maps is gone doesn't mean you will stop using it!!! And I much prefer the navigation directions popping up in easy view on the gauge than almost every other car out there where you have to look at the screen in the center console!

Personally I think everyone is doing waaaaay too much bitching about this! If you don't want to spend $30/month....DON'T! I'm not going too!

Use Bluetooth streaming and player slacker, or tunein, or pandora, (or your own music library) from your phone.

As far as navigation...the Navigon is fine! It's turn by turn directions and (again) you have your phone to check traffic on google maps. Or use WAZE app which uses social crowding to give you the most up to date traffic info. (Actually better than googles traffic reporting if you would believe it!!!).

Also the tech package included loads of other stuff...not just the navi.

I hope they either allow tethering...or someone figures out how to hack it....since that would solve the problem for most people. If they announce tethering I think people would stop bitching (and then the "oh joy!!!" Posts will start!). :)

El Supreme, I believe those prices are for 4G/LTE, not the slow 3G we would be getting. Not all bandwidth is created equal. I pay more for a faster tier of cable modem service, even though it might have the same cap on the total amount I can download in a month.