Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Pricing - Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I fully expect for Tesla to keep your 'data' connected if you don't purchase the data agreement. That means your phone app will work, and you will get updates remotely.

They've committed to software updates as long as you pay for service, though it's not clear they'll push this over 3G if you're not paying for connectivity. As for the mobile app, I don't see why they would allow you to use that if you don't pay for connectivity. That feature seems like a very likely candidate for the connectivity package.

Has Tesla said the mobile app will work without the connectivity package?

Don't think Tesla has said word one about the connectivity package...

- - - Updated - - -

... and to add my 2 cents, yeah $30 is excessive and a bad idea. I think around $10 would be the sweet spot where every customer would sign up and smile when they use their car. Maybe add a few bucks if the customer wants Slacker.

I was around when the tech package was announced and remember the rage back then. That has subsided. It's a one-time (big) fee that people can pay and then try to forget they paid (while enjoying a reverse view in HD). I think this is different. Here you will get a $30 monthly reminder to ask you again and again if you really like your google maps that much. It's going to wear thin real soon. I personally think TM is watching this thread closely and are (re-?)considering their options.

Considering they just now released the service options sign-up, also something that drew anger from the community, they should probably hold off a bit before hitting us with the connectivity package. Get some room between the blows, so to speak. (Unless they decide to release it at $10/month and give us some good news for a change. Hint hint...)

The "big screen" controls the whole car! Just b/c the google maps is gone doesn't mean you will stop using it!!! And I much prefer the navigation directions popping up in easy view on the gauge than almost every other car out there where you have to look at the screen in the center console!

Personally I think everyone is doing waaaaay too much bitching about this! If you don't want to spend $30/month....DON'T! I'm not going too!

Use Bluetooth streaming and player slacker, or tunein, or pandora, (or your own music library) from your phone.

As far as navigation...the Navigon is fine! It's turn by turn directions and (again) you have your phone to check traffic on google maps. Or use WAZE app which uses social crowding to give you the most up to date traffic info. (Actually better than googles traffic reporting if you would believe it!!!).

Also the tech package included loads of other stuff...not just the navi.

I hope they either allow tethering...or someone figures out how to hack it....since that would solve the problem for most people. If they announce tethering I think people would stop bitching (and then the "oh joy!!!" Posts will start!). :)

I'm not going to pay for 3G either, but a disagree about the nav. The point is that I don't want turn by turn all the time. I want a map overview like every other nav system provides (I can't believe you actually suggested that somebody use their phone to check a map while driving). Basically Tesla will have the shittiest expensive nav system available. And my company provided phone plan doesn't allow tethering, so that's no help.

There have been a number of folks claiming that the dash displayed navigation view is good enough to meet Tesla's obligations for navigation, to which is say, utter BS!

I've owned many handheld and auto GPS receivers over the years, and ALL of them have basic features that are NOT available through the horribly limited Navigon implementation Tesla has foisted upon us for high dollar.

1. Ability to display the region around the current position, whether a destination / route is planned or not
2. Ability to zoom map in / out at will
3. Ability to pan map left / right / up / down at will
4. Ability to display points of interest on the map, with controls to filter what specific categories are shown

There are many more features it is lacking, primarily due to the Navigon being bound to the left dashboard display, rather than also having output to the touchscreen, where it could be operated interactively just like ANY GPS receiver currently on the market!

While the google maps app on the touchscreen does support 1, 2 and 3, it doesn't support 4.

All of these features should be available on the touchscreen if the tech package navigation was purchased, whether there is a 3G signal or not!

I'm not going to pay for 3G either, but a disagree about the nav. The point is that I don't want turn by turn all the time. I want a map overview like every other nav system provides (I can't believe you actually suggested that somebody use their phone to check a map while driving). Basically Tesla will have the shittiest expensive nav system available. And my company provided phone plan doesn't allow tethering, so that's no help.
Agreed -- for the tech package, if there's no 3G signal (either because you didn't buy 3G or you're out of range), there needs to be a fall-back displayed on the main screen built on the Navigon maps. This overhead view should be available regardless of whether one has a route active.

So, I agree with @dflye .. all those features should be available with the Tech Package regardless of 3G access.

There have been a number of folks claiming that the dash displayed navigation view is good enough to meet Tesla's obligations for navigation, to which is say, utter BS!

I've owned many handheld and auto GPS receivers over the years, and ALL of them have basic features that are NOT available through the horribly limited Navigon implementation Tesla has foisted upon us for high dollar.
All of these features should be available on the touchscreen if the tech package navigation was purchased, whether there is a 3G signal or not!

I agree the current non-3G nav sucks but it is beside the point.

Navigation system with seven years of free updates

That's it... all the detail there is, and it has been provided. There's no fine print specifying features or stating that is must meet some perceived minimum standard.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that Tesla leaving the nav system "as is" is acceptable from a keeping customers happy standpoint. It wouldn't be in their interest as a company to do so. What I am saying is that they are not legally obligated to provide any more than they already have, as has been suggested here.

Tesla is not stupid... they're going to try to make people happy. But that can't happen overnight, and I guarantee you they will announce their 3G plan pricing before the nav system receives any sort of major overhaul. People should be prepared for that, with an understanding that there will be improvement as time goes on. Tesla, so far, has shown a commitment to the idea of an evolving car. Elon has already talked about ideas like taking topography into account in future nav updates. They've added creep mode. They've added charge timers. They'll get there.

I hope they'll make some commitments for future improvements before they announce pricing, but I'm not holding my breath.

As dflye has kindly pointed out, Nav is not necessarily Nav. I realize that Tesla just said they would provide a Navigation system with the purchase of the Tech package, but who among us expected anything significantly different (read worse) than what is usual and customary? I don't believe a detailed listing of what the system could and couldn't do without a 3G connection was or is available and who in their right mind would expect it to do Nothing on the main screen and nothing if an address is not input. This is just not how Nav and GPS systems work. I doubt that you could even buy a system that is so limited if you try (other than the obvious). I strongly feel that Tesla does not have a clear leg to stand on in this regard in view of the system being so far out of the norm. They need to make the monthly charge reasonable (say $15) until such a time as they can make the system self sufficient without 3G. By self sufficient I mean work on the main screen (at least half of it), display continuously updated maps without a destination being input and have legible street names. All of this needs to be accomplished without 3G as 3G has too many dead spots. You wouldn't pay $50 for a 3" screen handheld that did less than that. Otherwise, Tesla should kick back a couple of grand to each of us who bought the Tech package to compensate for a grossly misrepresented Nav system and let us apply that money to the soon to be on going monthly charge.

My concern about the current state of the stand-alone nav software isn't about the "I don't want to pay" but rather "many places I go don't have usable cell coverage". We drive a lot in northern New England, and between thin population and mountains, there's no such thing as reliable cell coverage.

As some wag said (in relation to the climate control woes of the Model S), everything that needs improving in the Model S is because it was built by Californians. In this case, they clearly had trouble contemplating that not everywhere is saturated by cell coverage.

My concern about the current state of the stand-alone nav software isn't about the "I don't want to pay" but rather "many places I go don't have usable cell coverage". We drive a lot in northern New England, and between thin population and mountains, there's no such thing as reliable cell coverage.

As some wag said (in relation to the climate control woes of the Model S), everything that needs improving in the Model S is because it was built by Californians. In this case, they clearly had trouble contemplating that not everywhere is saturated by cell coverage.

You know, California has mountains and thinly populated areas, too. And, in fact, we have areas without cell phone coverage, like large sections of Highway 1.

So you want it for free? For the life of your car?

$30 a month for one year is $360 a year
8 years of $360 is $2800

That seems like a reasonable amount for Tesla to absorb?

Now take that $2880 times this year's production only:
$2880.00 times 20,000 cars is 57 million dollars ($57,600,000) annually for Tesla.
To complete that thought, 8 years times $57,600,000 is more than $460 million dollars.
You know, that is an awful lot of money for a corp to just absorb. But then again, $2880 is alot for an individual to just absorb. You can think of it as being required t pay $2880 more for a nav system that one thought was already paid for.

I'm still not advocating it be free. Just in line with reasonable pricing. $10 per month? Fair. $30 per month? Robbery.

I'll actually be glad to be free of the 3G so I stop browsing the web while driving!!! Highly impressive to be able to have the web on the touchscreen but also plain stupid!

Its actually safer to use my phone (since I don't have to lean over to the right to use my phone!!!).