Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G Pricing - Speculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they are doing a great job overall. Let me be clear on that. If you knew all I have had to go through and am still going through to get this car, it would be obvious I feel that way. (But you don't so, you'll just have to trust me on it.) You dont need to preach to me. Heck, I just threw them another $750 for full mat set and extra J1772 adapter for a car they havent even started building for me yet.

That said, I'm not going to give them a pass on everything. $21 shipping for a small adapter? Outrageous. And if $30/mo for 3G is what they ask? Ridiculous. And those jagged pills just amplify other shortcomings like the firmware issues/delays.

Sorry, the preach comment was one of those that didn't translate well through the internet as I read it again. No offense/accusation intended. It was meant in the friendly "preach to choir" expression tone...

No official delivery window yet. Last I talked to my IDS 4/22 was his estimate of when it would be ready off the line. He asked me to call him tomorrow or Friday and he might have a more definite estimate. I really hoped/thought and feel I was led to believe it would be by end of March. I think it was, until the reaction to the Q4 results, Elon's guarantee, and the resulting resequencing of orders to prioritize 85s. And yes, this "perceived delay" has also amplified the smaller shortcomings in my mind.

I hadn't looked at the Tesla forums in a while, but here's a reminder of what they are saying re tethering:

We originally planned to announce a standard connectivity plan as well as a smart phone tethering plan for Model S in December. We have made a lot of progress in designing our connectivity plans and are happy to announce that the option to tether your smartphone device to Model S will indeed be possible.

I'm hotter for the opposite. I just want the MS to be WiFi capable so it can connect through my iPhone. Then I wouldn't need to pay for the direct network connectivity from the MS. Of course it remains to be seen if the iPhone app functions will work if the MS doesn't have such direct network connectivity itself.

I'm hotter for the opposite. I just want the MS to be WiFi capable so it can connect through my iPhone. Then I wouldn't need to pay for the direct network connectivity from the MS. Of course it remains to be seen if the iPhone app functions will work if the MS doesn't have such direct network connectivity itself.

yes, I wonder if they meant it the other way round? I get why someone might want to tether a tablet to the Model S, but a Smart phone would have it's own data plan which most likely would be much superior anyway.

so I'm guessing it's just a terminology thing

yes, I wonder if they meant it the other way round? I get why someone might want to tether a tablet to the Model S, but a Smart phone would have it's own data plan which most likely would be much superior anyway.

so I'm guessing it's just a terminology thing

I'm sure they mean using the cell phone plan. If you look around the web it's very common to see sites that refer to tethering your phone to your laptop.

I'm sure they mean using the cell phone plan. If you look around the web it's very common to see sites that refer to tethering your phone to your laptop.

Not sure if I understand your comment. My read of the Tesla-attributed statement a few posts back is to allow you to connect WiFi devices to your Model S to share its connectivity, not the other way around as I'd prefer. The reason I say that is because why would a plan be needed to enable what I want? There use of plan is a 'subscription plan', not a 'design plan'. I shouldn't need a subscription plan of any kind for my MS for it to share my phone's data connection. I would just need WiFi in the MS.

Bt to allow what they seem to be saying, then the car would need to allow connections via Bluetooth or WiFi. If its WiFi, then I should be able to tether through the phone. Just wonder how long that will take to do given firmware issues current and past.

Not sure if I understand your comment. My read of the Tesla-attributed statement a few posts back is to allow you to connect WiFi devices to your Model S to share its connectivity, not the other way around as I'd prefer. The reason I say that is because why would a plan be needed to enable what I want? There use of plan is a 'subscription plan', not a 'design plan'. I shouldn't need a subscription plan of any kind for my MS for it to share my phone's data connection. I would just need WiFi in the MS.

Bt to allow what they seem to be saying, then the car would need to allow connections via Bluetooth or WiFi. If its WiFi, then I should be able to tether through the phone. Just wonder how long that will take to do given firmware issues current and past.

I really doubt they will allow connecting wifi devices to the Model S to share it's connectivity (why would anybody want to do that with a smartphone?). They almost certainly will be doing it the other way around. They didn't actually say it was part of the plan, it was just part of the progress they had made in designing them (i.e. figuring out whether to allow connectivity without purchasing a plan).

I really doubt they will allow connecting wifi devices to the Model S to share it's connectivity (why would anybody want to do that with a smartphone?).

If I could tether wifi devices to the Model S then that would be great for two reasons:

1) There are LOTS of other types of wifi devices out there that are not smartphones. I have 2 wifi-only iPads in my household that my kids would LOVE to connect to the data connections on the Model S.

2) I don't want to have to activate the tethering option on my iPhone because AT&T charges quite a bit more money for tethering and I'd have to give up my unlimited data plan with AT&T (I'm Grandfathered in from the original iPhone but that goes away with ANY changes to my plan).

I really doubt they will allow connecting wifi devices to the Model S to share it's connectivity (why would anybody want to do that with a smartphone?). They almost certainly will be doing it the other way around. They didn't actually say it was part of the plan, it was just part of the progress they had made in designing them (i.e. figuring out whether to allow connectivity without purchasing a plan).

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Cuz, as SuperCoug says, there are reasons why people would want to tether TO and THROUGH the MS data plan. Just not me. I think it's pretty clear what the Tesla comment means. But as I said, if they are envisioning a data plan tier that enables the MS to be a WiFi hotspot, then it implies WiFi is working, which means I'll be able to do what I would prefer to do.

I think they are doing a great job overall. Let me be clear on that. If you knew all I have had to go through and am still going through to get this car, it would be obvious I feel that way. (But you don't so, you'll just have to trust me on it.) You dont need to preach to me. Heck, I just threw them another $750 for full mat set and extra J1772 adapter for a car they havent even started building for me yet.

That said, I'm not going to give them a pass on everything. $21 shipping for a small adapter? Outrageous. And if $30/mo for 3G is what they ask? Ridiculous. And those jagged pills just amplify other shortcomings like the firmware issues/delays.

Cancel your orders from them. I got the full Matt set from Lloyd's Matt's for $175!!! (They are the luxury ones and are fantastic!!!).
The $575 you save can go towards your 3G service!

Seriously ...I do want tesla to succeed...but you can't bitch and moan about being nickeled and dimed to death and then also throw them tons of dough on items you can get elsewhere (of similar or better quality) for much cheaper.

You may not have a choice with the 3G service...but you do with the floor Matt's!!!! As a paying customer you are sending very mixed message. (On 1 hand you are bitching about having to pay for 3G service while other hand you are paying $750 for floor Matt's as if that's a reasonable price.....). In my opinion you got it 100% backwards. The Matt's SHOULD come with the car and shouldn't be an added expense (as is with any other luxury manufacturer). 3G service SHOULD be a charge as it is a service and in this world of spectrum and data becoming more and more valuable it is ridiculous to think that Tesla should give it out for free!!!

I KNOW EVERYONE IS A LITTLE FIRED UP ABOUT THIS TOPIC....BUT AM I WRONG IN WHAT I AM SAYING?!?!?

First of all, it is not 750 for the mats. That includes a J1772 adapter. So the difference would only play for about 13 months of 3G service. Second, as I noted in the mats thread, I cannot deal with the reported chemical smell of the ones that come from Lloyd. I have no place to air them out as I live in a high-rise condo. With 2 kids under 3, and my own sensitivity to smell, I'll pay a premium to avoid that. Sure I agree that the mats should come with the car. But it was clear to me that they didnt when I ordered. And once again, I never said the 3G service should be free.

It's all about perceived value. And each person will have their own sense of the value. No where do I say what people should or shouldn't pay, since I know everyone has different values. I perceive extra value from getting the official mats for reasons noted above. I dont perceive that the 3G pricing rumored is valuable, esp since I don't need it as I have plenty of tetherable bandwidth already in my mobile plans.

Well said Jomo25. It's all about perceived value. One other thing which may sound weird: buying floor mats from Tesla probably does a lot more for their bottom line than the 3G service which only helps ATT. I'm more than happy to give Tesla some profit on items of perceived value to me because I want them to do well. The 3G just seems like a transfer payment to a company I hate for little bang for the buck. And my perceived value may differ from others! That's what makes a market economy.

The weak link here for me is att. When I park my car at night (when I could be downloading updates) I have absolutely no service. I need the car to connect to my home wifi while parked. And quite frankly, if I could connect to my homw wifi, then it could connect to a portable mifi device - giving me 'real' 4G (LTE) as I drive down the road. My maps might actually keep up with me as I drive and my slacker might not skip and pause while it struggles to buffer. I know folks are talking about tethering to the car, but I need the car to tether to wifi via my home or portable 4G. The carrier they chose is a poor one for me, and I live in one of the 5 largest cities in America. Not being an att 'hater' but for me where I live and work the service is not as good as their competitors. I know that they all have strengths and weaknesses in their various service areas.

(snip)
Second, as I noted in the mats thread, I cannot deal with the reported chemical smell of the ones that come from Lloyd. I have no place to air them out as I live in a high-rise condo. With 2 kids under 3, and my own sensitivity to smell, I'll pay a premium to avoid that.

To be fair to the Lloyd's mats, the smell is only with the all weather mats. The carpet mats (the Ultimats) had no smell whatsoever.

Sorry to take the thread off topic, please carry on.

Personally, I'm not going to pay $30/month for AT&T 3G.
As long as Tesla allows the car to connect through my phone and through my home router, I'm not going to be upset about it.

In fact, I imagine that's why Tesla hasn't announced anything, yet. They haven't been able to work on the connectivity stuff because they've been busy trying to work on the vampire load / clean wake up stuff. and until they can offer a connectivity option that isn't $30/month through AT&T, they know that they can't charge us without us getting pissy.

My iPhone is AT&T, but I might switch over to Verizon once they allow tethering. As it is, the Google maps view is typically about half empty as it can't update fast enough while I'm driving. I live in San Jose (10th biggest city in the country, and part of Silicon Valley), so there's really no excuse for poor coverage.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. Cuz, as SuperCoug says, there are reasons why people would want to tether TO and THROUGH the MS data plan. Just not me. I think it's pretty clear what the Tesla comment means. But as I said, if they are envisioning a data plan tier that enables the MS to be a WiFi hotspot, then it implies WiFi is working, which means I'll be able to do what I would prefer to do.

Obviously we'll see. My reasoning for believing what I believe is that while there are reasons for tethering other things to use the Model S data plan, I can't see any reason to want to tether your smart phone in that fashion, only the other way around. And the quote in question only mentions smart phone tethering (if it was the way you believe I would think they would have said wi-fi enabled devices or something, not smart phones). Anyway, it will be what it will be, I'm happy to wait for the final announcement before making an conclusions about whether the announced plan makes sense or not.