Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G to LTE Update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got the LTE done I also got a new center console computer and screen replacement (for other reasons). Ranger said model S computer is same across the line. Mine was marked "premium" on the box, he said that just means it comes with Nav and maps. I guess some model S that was an option, maybe the model 60? For those they get non-premium computers.

Navigation was part of the optional "tech package" offered until sometime around the spring of 2015. Without the tech package, you still had Google Maps on the big screen, but no turn-by-turn directions. The tech package also included autopilot convenience features and some other stuff like the power lift gate. It was optional on all the cars, I think in theory you could have configured a P85D with no navigation, although I doubt many actually did. Then they reconfigured the options, moving autopilot to its own option, putting the power liftgate in the premium package, and made navigation standard.

I purchased the LTE upgrade for my Mid 2014 MS. Works great and seemingly more reliable on map updates. The Earth View load is much quicker. I am not clear on what all is involved in the upgrade but I did think it was a little pricing. In any case, very pleased with the upgrade.

I did LTE upgrade mostly as a future-proofing step... with some hope for increased performance... but really, not a huge difference. When 3G starts getting scaled back by the mobility companies... maybe I survive longer in more areas by having 4G, was my thinking.

Reactions: markn455
I had it done when it was first made available and it seemed like a noticeable difference then. Now, it's awful. If I have music streaming at 96kbps and load the map (on satellite view), it takes approximately 30 seconds to fill in. It's been that way for at least 6 months now and it sure seems like they're capping the bandwidth at some ridiculously low speed. If I connect via LTE hotspot from my phone, the same can be done in a few seconds.

Reactions: markn455
Comparing our 3G S P85 with our LTE S 100D, really don't see any noticeable difference in performance between the two - in both, the maps display slowly, filling in blocks, when changing the zoom level or scrolling to a new area.

This is probably due to poor software design - and not a performance limitation on the processor or 3G/LTE connection - so both could get faster through a software update, without upgrading to LTE.

However, one feature that could make the LTE upgrade more worthwhile would be turning on the car's LTE hotspot. This was a feature originally promised for the Model S, but a 3G hotspot wouldn't have had much value.

The LTE upgrade with hotspot would bring not only better performance (when the software is fixed) but also support other Internet for other devices.

However, one feature that could make the LTE upgrade more worthwhile would be turning on the car's LTE hotspot. This was a feature originally promised for the Model S, but a 3G hotspot wouldn't have had much value.

The LTE upgrade with hotspot would bring not only better performance (when the software is fixed) but also support other Internet for other devices.

I see this request often, but most cell phones and plans over a personal hotspot feature. I know AT&T does on my iPhone. And it works great over USB, Wifi and bluetooth (to other iDevices). I think with the proliferation of these devices, the actual need for an in-car hotspot is dwindling. Especially considering the hardware performance of the Model S/X is already very dated and slow, and the connectivity really flakey or finicky at times, even if they just enabled an in-car hotspot, I don't think it would perform up to the standards we expect these days. The tech that's currently in these cars was spec'd and designed in what, 2011/2012 with no real upgrades since (besides AP, which is a different system board).

Reactions: bmah and BrokerDon
I did it, after reading that AT&T was re-purposing 3G towers to LTE...I had a problem and was out of 3G contact once, SC couldn't get logs, I want to make sure that the car has as much coverage as possible in the future...(that incident turned out to be a complete outage of all Tesla cell contact for a few hours, so nothing would have helped, but I'm happy I did it anyway).
Are things faster? Really hard to tell without putting two cars next to each other and doing a test...anybody able to do that?

I really thought hard about this upgrade and in the end chose not to do it. Most people say there isn't a noticeable difference. For my situation I prefer having a high speed always on internet hotspot to serve my car camera and the toddler's tablet . Of course it can also provide a 4g LTE connection to the Tesla.