Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3G to LTE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news when Tesla will catch up with the other big car makers or show up in this decade and get rid of 3G for LTE?

I have LTE also, all June 1st after should have it. Few notes though:

1. It actually gets a really good signal, better than a phone.
2. Tesla doesn't have a hotspot feature yet which is what you may be referring to. Negotiating a pay per use or monthly plan is something they could implement by software and then create a wifi hotspot with the wifi hardware built-in also. I bet we will see this within a year-ish.

-T

Any news when Tesla will catch up with the other big car makers or show up in this decade and get rid of 3G for LTE?
Tesla is far ahead of the other automobile manufacturers in many of the significant areas of vehicle design. It's the other manufacturers that have to catch up with Tesla.

It seems clear, based on recent reports on these forums, that the Model S is now being built with LTE. But that is a relatively minor detail compared to the many far more important and critical features of the Model S. In general, 3G works fine for Nav and downloading new firmware to the car.

Yeah I am interested in finding the SIM location as well so I can do a test with a LTE card...

I saw a Russian video on this. Tesla doesn't have official support for that part of the world so their data connection don't work limiting the features of the car. In order to fix that they have to replace the sim cards with the local ones. They said that in order to get to the sim card holder they had to get the main screen out and it was a BIG job. In the end everything was put back together and it works 100% but it's not something you should attempt at home.