Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd A/C failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Service update ...My super manifold replacement has now turned into, “we think you have a slight leak from your radiator” A new radiator and cooling fan module is now on the way.
I was cautiously optimistic but losing some faith. Considering the number of folks with intermittent A/C issues that have either been repaired or in process of repair with the new super manifold I remain skeptical. What are the chances I actually have a different issue ? The reasoning is that the small leak from the radiator disrupts the ability to maintain pressure needed for cooling. However, I can’t seem to rationalize why it would ever work then once the leak continued? When the A/C actually worked it would be frigid for as long as I had the car on. Any thermodynamic mechanics out there ?

Service update ...My super manifold replacement has now turned into, “we think you have a slight leak from your radiator” A new radiator and cooling fan module is now on the way.
I was cautiously optimistic but losing some faith. Considering the number of folks with intermittent A/C issues that have either been repaired or in process of repair with the new super manifold I remain skeptical. What are the chances I actually have a different issue ? The reasoning is that the small leak from the radiator disrupts the ability to maintain pressure needed for cooling. However, I can’t seem to rationalize why it would ever work then once the leak continued? When the A/C actually worked it would be frigid for as long as I had the car on. Any thermodynamic mechanics out there ?

Well, I was also told something about a possible leak somewhere and I fully agree with your logic. BUT I was also told supermanifold, like you. They allegedly now have all my parts in though my car remains in service since Wednesday 7/22, so I Have a feeling you and I are in the exact same position. I’m really hoping to get it back this week, and will report though of course given the intermittent nature of the issue it will take a while to see if it’s truly resolved. I haven’t seen the original thread starter of this thread in a while, Jusbechillin — you out there? Hope for us that maybe he got it fixed....

Have you been working with Tesla in Milwaukee? Have they been able to resolve? Our Just over 1 week old Y has all of these same issues. The first issue showed up within 5 min. *as were in the car for the first 5 minutes* taking delivery - no A/C. We Waited 4 hrs. In Highland Pk IL (where we needed to go to pick it up) while Service was replacing fan and sensor. We were assured they had fixed the issue but we are back for more service work.

Have you been working with Tesla in Milwaukee? Have they been able to resolve? Our Just over 1 week old Y has all of these same issues. The first issue showed up within 5 min. *as were in the car for the first 5 minutes* taking delivery - no A/C. We Waited 4 hrs. In Highland Pk IL (where we needed to go to pick it up) while Service was replacing fan and sensor. We were assured they had fixed the issue but we are back for more service work.

I’m sorry to hear you have experienced issues as well. The 4hr wait on new car pickup hurts the new car excitement to say the least.
Yes, I’ve been to Highland Park once for repair and now at Milwaukee service center for the second time. My Y is in service now with expected completion this Weds. Tyler has been very nice and supportive it’s just challenging to maintain any type of dialog with the random texts. I will post as soon as I have any more updates. As I mentioned in prior posts, sometimes cranking the heat for a few mintiest and then turning A/C back and bringing the temperature down has helped with getting the A/C to kick back on. Another Y owner, Fred, has posted about just using manual A/C and leaving at 62. The Lo setting seems to be a problem. I hope this helps. Report back as well.

I’m getting a new super manifold as well. The parts catalog lists a 1547595-00-B, and they ordered 1547595-00-C so it's clearly a revised unit. Hopefully this is the issue and they got it worked out.

Okay -- mine is finally done and ready for pickup. Here is the part repair description for others in case helpful (no promise yet that everything is fixed, of course, only time will tell):

upload_2020-8-10_16-49-48.png

• Informative
Reactions: jbcarioca
I’m sorry to hear you have experienced issues as well. The 4hr wait on new car pickup hurts the new car excitement to say the least.
Yes, I’ve been to Highland Park once for repair and now at Milwaukee service center for the second time. My Y is in service now with expected completion this Weds. Tyler has been very nice and supportive it’s just challenging to maintain any type of dialog with the random texts. I will post as soon as I have any more updates. As I mentioned in prior posts, sometimes cranking the heat for a few mintiest and then turning A/C back and bringing the temperature down has helped with getting the A/C to kick back on. Another Y owner, Fred, has posted about just using manual A/C and leaving at 62. The Lo setting seems to be a problem. I hope this helps. Report back as well.
8/11 Update. We are working with Tyler in Milwaukee as well. He has had our 1 week old MY since Sat. We just learned they are replacing our fan module and sensor. This is the 2nd time they are replacing the same two items (as we were accepting the car in Highland Park the A/C was not working and they placed our fan module and sensor). We have the feeling they do not know at all what is wrong here. I wonder if I can write to Elon???

After 6 days at the service center due to complete AC failure, I got my model Y back yesterday with a new compressor and supermanifold (-C version). The AC seemed OK on the way home. Tonight it's back in the shop, blasting out coolish (not cold) air at fan speed 9, but unable to cool the cabin below 87. My enthusiasm for this car is starting to fade a bit. I hope they get this figured out soon.

So JustBeChillin how has your A/C repair worked out? I've been having very similar A/C issues with my Y to what you describe. I've taken it in twice, and both times they said the refrigerant was low (the second time I was pretty incredulous and asked whether they'd checked for a leak, they said they had and couldn't find anything). Over the weekend it started acting up again, blowing only moderately cold air, running full blast the whole time this time over a 125 mile trip (not great for gas mileage, the temperature only got down to the upper 70s in the car in over 2 hours of driving despite me setting the A/C to max). Anyway, how's yours looking? Mine would work well for a bit after each recharge, only to re-emerge. Also it's tough for me to convince the people at the service center that something is wrong because if you put your hand up to the vent the air feels "cool" (note, every try this with a fan? It feels cool too), but there is a clear difference when the A/C is working. I feel like I'm being made out to be crazy, but i've owned a bunch of cars, and all have had working A/C I'm pretty sure I know what it feels like. Super frustrating and I'm nearing the point of getting rid of the car or making a lemon law claim (technically in Maryland if they haven't fixed a problem in 3 tries it becomes subject to lemon law), but other than this and a few minor cosmetic issues I love the car, so i'm really torn. Also thinking about maybe just going for an S as they likely have more of the issues worked out over there given how old the car is (though I'm certainly aware from the message board that issues still exist).

Hard to stomach a $60K+ car without properly functioning A/C.

Sorry for the delay. I’m so irritated with Tesla.
They did in fact replace a part this last time and it’s worked pretty well.
But today my ac won’t cool below 84 degrees. Now to be fair, that’s 99% better than the 120+ I would experience prior to this. At least it’s still cooling somewhat.

mom a side note my friend has a model S and he went to the service center and told them his wheel sounded like it was going to fall off. They went for a test drive and said “your wheel is not going to fall off”. They scheduled him for service but it was about 3 weeks out. Well, a couple days later the whee in fact did fall off. Oh Tesla....

After 6 days at the service center due to complete AC failure, I got my model Y back yesterday with a new compressor and supermanifold (-C version). The AC seemed OK on the way home. Tonight it's back in the shop, blasting out coolish (not cold) air at fan speed 9, but unable to cool the cabin below 87. My enthusiasm for this car is starting to fade a bit. I hope they get this figured out soon.

this is what my car is doing now. It is cooling, just not below 85+/-.

it’s all good, they can get me back in for service IN SEPTEMBER!

this is what my car is doing now. It is cooling, just not below 85+/-.

it’s all good, they can get me back in for service IN SEPTEMBER!
Wow this is very disappointing. My MY is supposed to be getting a super manifold tomorrow. I guess I will force them to put it in the sun with the climate on and monitor the temp for an hour before excepting it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

For those not cooling under 85 - 89 degrees, do you have it in the Lo setting? I found that if you set it to Lo it will shutdown. Reset the car and this time set it to 62 degrees only and not Lo. Also turn off Automatic and turn on recirculate. Give that a try and write back.

Fred

• Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW
For those not cooling under 85 - 89 degrees, do you have it in the Lo setting? I found that if you set it to Lo it will shutdown. Reset the car and this time set it to 62 degrees only and not Lo. Also turn off Automatic and turn on recirculate. Give that a try and write back.

Fred
I’ll try it next time my ac isn’t working. It started again last night like it’s fine. Dumb thing. And, I had it in the LO setting for about 20 minutes when the issue was happening. I did not turn off automatic or on recirculate. But I’ll try next time.

My AC was fine until the last 2 updates so I am guessing software in my case. Issue is it will just start randomly blowing warm air. Solution is turn off climate control then turn back on to auto. However sometimes it wont turn back on at all for several minutes. And then a new issue yesterday, it was blowing cold air but suddenly started sounding like a jet engine spooling up. Very loud like I have never heard before. I am shocked at these AC problems. How is it Nissan Leaf's and Chevy Bolts work fine? Come on Tesla, you can do better.