Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd A/C failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m super frustrated. I picked up my model Y in March. My air conditioning broke soon after. After the nightmare of trying to get someone at Tesla on the phone and a super rude person on their chat, I finally called the roadside assistance number and got ahold of a real person. She was super nice and very helpful and arranged for Service quicker than the 10 days the app scheduled me for. Service said there was some sort of known issue and that they were waiting for a firmware update but they didn’t have details on when. But they assured me that doing a hard reset on the car fixed the issue (even though I tried that 3 times before service). So I went to pick the car back up a few days later and when I got in the car, it still didn’t work. I refused to take the car home to wait for the fix since it’s over 100 degrees in Phoenix and I left the car and said I’d pick it up only after the air conditioner worked. A couple days later they said they got the firmware update and it was good to go. Now, it’s a month or so later and it’s broken again. Hard reset, no effect.

Plus I’ve had other annoyances. One of the windows occasionally won’t auto roll up or down, you have to hold the button (they couldn’t find an issue). I’ve had the window not roll down when opening the door causing the window to get stuck on the gasket (probably what’s causing the auto roll issue to happen). There’s defects under the paint where you can tell they painted over something. I love the technology but after paying $75k I’m disappointed for sure. Especially with trying to get customer service when you need it.

I’ve seen other people with model 3’s with a/c failures. Am I the only one with a Y doing the same thing?

Attachments

• D94AA631-FF33-49C9-BDC8-329908BBC71D.png
    D94AA631-FF33-49C9-BDC8-329908BBC71D.png
    705.6 KB · Views: 597
I’m super frustrated. I picked up my model Y in March. My air conditioning broke soon after. After the nightmare of trying to get someone at Tesla on the phone and a super rude person on their chat, I finally called the roadside assistance number and got ahold of a real person. She was super nice and very helpful and arranged for Service quicker than the 10 days the app scheduled me for. Service said there was some sort of known issue and that they were waiting for a firmware update but they didn’t have details on when. But they assured me that doing a hard reset on the car fixed the issue (even though I tried that 3 times before service). So I went to pick the car back up a few days later and when I got in the car, it still didn’t work. I refused to take the car home to wait for the fix since it’s over 100 degrees in Phoenix and I left the car and said I’d pick it up only after the air conditioner worked. A couple days later they said they got the firmware update and it was good to go. Now, it’s a month or so later and it’s broken again. Hard reset, no effect.

Plus I’ve had other annoyances. One of the windows occasionally won’t auto roll up or down, you have to hold the button (they couldn’t find an issue). I’ve had the window not roll down when opening the door causing the window to get stuck on the gasket (probably what’s causing the auto roll issue to happen). There’s defects under the paint where you can tell they painted over something. I love the technology but after paying $75k I’m disappointed for sure. Especially with trying to get customer service when you need it.

I’ve seen other people with model 3’s with a/c failures. Am I the only one with a Y doing the same thing?
Hello, I had this glitch while on the early delivery firmware. Never had it again after they started rolling out the 3rd firmware update for Y. Are you caught up with latest one that rolled for the Y 2020.16.3 ? Windows had the same issue till I did the reset( push down all thee way wait a few seconds while pushing down and the pull for upon and same hold). That fixed it for me, as well as the firmware update. Windows had a bug in the Y as well. Paint is the only thing I can't do anything(and Currently they aren't seen motivated to do anything, as long as we accept the vehicles they will not change, I included myself in enabling this by them). It's either paint coreection and ppf or just wrap it in vinyl. I'm gonna go for vinyl as the cheaper option.

I’m not sure if resetting the car multiple times flags it for a fresh software upload or not... but I did the hard reset a bunch of times, and all of the sudden a software update showed on the app. After the update, ac is working again. I’m glad it’s working, but wish I had confidence it wasn’t going to malfunction again.

I’m not sure if resetting the car multiple times flags it for a fresh software upload or not... but I did the hard reset a bunch of times, and all of the sudden a software update showed on the app. After the update, ac is working again. I’m glad it’s working, but wish I had confidence it wasn’t going to malfunction again.

Yeah... that was by chance. When you open the vehicle settings and click software the vehicle calls home to check for updates and hey! there was an update. There is no way to force an update to come to your car, even Tesla doesn't like to reach out and do this, it's all run by the mothership (servers). Glad you got the update and everything is good to go.

If you have problems again, windows or A/C, press the microphone button or press/hold the right steering wheel button and say "Bug report windows are acting up again" or whatever but say "Bug report" then the problem. That time stamps the issue and saves it to your car for about 5-10 days. Then reach out to Tesla and they'll be able to see exactly what you're talking about. The faults in the car only stick around for about 5-10 days because being wiped and Tesla only knows about stuff when you reach out via the app or chat.

Did you do the level of hard reset that involves in part using a wrench and pulling off your rear seat to access? The Model 3 has this, I assume there's the equivalent on the Model Y?

• Helpful
Reactions: Berkshire1
I'm in the same shoe as you are. I took delivery of my Y in late March before their factory shutdown. Immediately after delivery, my A/C failed. Tesla took more than a week to replace a wiring harness and said it was fixed. 2 days after taking the car back, autopilot camera failed; another 2 days at service center. 1 week after, the A/C failed a second time, Tesla took several days to replace a computer and assured me the problem had been remedied. Then a week after, A/C failed again. This time, SC kept my car for more than 2 weeks, and they said they had to replace another wiring harness. And in the process, they broke all the clips of the interior panels where they reran the wires. I picked up my car last Friday and found all those issues that they were trying to hide. Now I'm waiting for them to order the replacement panels. Tbh, I have zero confidence at this point that the A/C has been fixed.

I'm in the same shoe as you are. I took delivery of my Y in late March before their factory shutdown. Immediately after delivery, my A/C failed. Tesla took more than a week to replace a wiring harness and said it was fixed. 2 days after taking the car back, autopilot camera failed; another 2 days at service center. 1 week after, the A/C failed a second time, Tesla took several days to replace a computer and assured me the problem had been remedied. Then a week after, A/C failed again. This time, SC kept my car for more than 2 weeks, and they said they had to replace another wiring harness. And in the process, they broke all the clips of the interior panels where they reran the wires. I picked up my car last Friday and found all those issues that they were trying to hide. Now I'm waiting for them to order the replacement panels. Tbh, I have zero confidence at this point that the A/C has been fixed.

It may be a hassle, but you may want to check your state's lemon law and take steps towards utilizing it. Each state is different, but a problem they can't fix after repeated attempts seems like a good candidate.

Reactions: Dk2112 and teko
Yep, had similar issues about climate control and window won't go down. Both issues are firmware issues per service consultant. For the climate control issues, you have to leave your car and let it go to sleep for 20 min or so. Then go back and the system will reset itself (solution suggested by Tesla technician via phone app). I tried rebooting MCU and car, but they didn't work.

As for the window, just take photos of the damages and setup a service appointment. Make sure you attach the photo when doing so. For me in Los Angeles, it took them a week to get the part and the repair is a day. It seems to happen when you wake up the car from deep sleep. Now when I open the door, I press the button and wait before I pull the door handle...very annoying and not nature. Sure, I can keep on scheduling services but I'm tired of going back to the service center. The first 5 weeks of ownership, my car was in the service center for 3 weeks. Technicians drove more miles on the car than me!

What a pain. Everything seems to be a “firmware” issue. And of course everyone is using COVID as an excuse to provide even worse customer service.

leaving the car for 20 minutes doesn’t do it for me. All three times this has happened to me way more than 20 minutes lapsed before getting it to work again.

Yep, had similar issues about climate control and window won't go down. Both issues are firmware issues per service consultant. For the climate control issues, you have to leave your car and let it go to sleep for 20 min or so. Then go back and the system will reset itself (solution suggested by Tesla technician via phone app). I tried rebooting MCU and car, but they didn't work.

As for the window, just take photos of the damages and setup a service appointment. Make sure you attach the photo when doing so. For me in Los Angeles, it took them a week to get the part and the repair is a day. It seems to happen when you wake up the car from deep sleep. Now when I open the door, I press the button and wait before I pull the door handle...very annoying and not nature. Sure, I can keep on scheduling services but I'm tired of going back to the service center. The first 5 weeks of ownership, my car was in the service center for 3 weeks. Technicians drove more miles on the car than me!

here’s the response from Tesla today. They canceled my upcoming service appointment and said this. Of course, the first two times I went for service they said the firmware update would fix it and it didn’t. Fingers crossed!

“We understand. Up until firmware version 2020.20, all Model Ys have been experiencing intermittent problems with the AC compressor turning off prematurely. This was especially evident in much warmer climates (such as Arizona right now) however, the engineering team verified 2020.20 addressed this concern. We do not see a need for the appointment as your AC is now functioning as designed. Before cancelling, we just wanted to verify with you. Do you give us permission to move forward with the cancellation?”

here’s the response from Tesla today. They canceled my upcoming service appointment and said this. Of course, the first two times I went for service they said the firmware update would fix it and it didn’t. Fingers crossed!

“We understand. Up until firmware version 2020.20, all Model Ys have been experiencing intermittent problems with the AC compressor turning off prematurely. This was especially evident in much warmer climates (such as Arizona right now) however, the engineering team verified 2020.20 addressed this concern. We do not see a need for the appointment as your AC is now functioning as designed. Before cancelling, we just wanted to verify with you. Do you give us permission to move forward with the cancellation?”

Pretty much the same response I received about a month ago

What a pain. Everything seems to be a “firmware” issue. And of course everyone is using COVID as an excuse to provide even worse customer service.

leaving the car for 20 minutes doesn’t do it for me. All three times this has happened to me way more than 20 minutes lapsed before getting it to work again.
Everything in the car is controlled by firmware. They know about the issues and are working to resolve them. It won't be immediate, but the fixes will come.

On the 3 they had a long ramp-up, and were able to fix most issues by the time deliveries started in earnest in fall of 2018. Even so my Aug 2018 delivery vehicle couldn't do bluetooth calls without severe echo. The evening of delivery I received a software update that fixed it.

The ramp-up on the Y is much quicker, but it will still take about a year to iron out all the bugs. Enjoy your car, and remember that it gets better every month.

Reactions: empiredown
Well, that was short lived. Left the car in the sun for 30 short Arizona minutes (I normally park in a garage or under shade) and guess what doesn’t work now... MY AC! Temp won’t go below 101 in the car. This is better than before because in the past not only would it not blow cold air, it actually blew hot air. Now it just circulates my 101 degree air.
And in the past when the ac failed, a warning would come up. Now it acts like it’s working and has no warning, but it doesn’t actually cool.
When standing outside the car you can hear the fan cycle on and off over and over again. Hard reset, no change.

Also my frunk latch is malfunctioning.

maybe I should call and talk to Tesla customer service for help? OH WAIT! You can’t call them!

Attachments

• 0B16072E-7D31-4694-A744-4EC746977B9D.png
    0B16072E-7D31-4694-A744-4EC746977B9D.png
    707.1 KB · Views: 355
Last edited: