Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3rd party HUDs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried installing an aftermarket heads-up display on a Tesla? I heard the OBD-II port doesn't actually provide any information such as speed which would make the HUD pretty useless. I am on the pre-order list for NAVDY (which sadly has been delayed longer than my MX was) but it was originally meant for my ICE car.... There is also the new HUDLY coming out "soon". Was wondering if any of these HUD options would work as I'd love to be able to see my speed without looking down (especially given how fast the thing can accelerate).

IMHO, all these aftermarket HUDs are a gimmick. Don't waste your money on it. The only HUD I would get is one that is specially designed and integrated into my vehicle.
Exactly.

If the M3 2nd reveal introduces an HUD that is awesome, OEMs will roll them out like a tidal wave within a couple of years. Just sit tight.

We all know Elon Musk was "trolling" everyone with the bland M3 interior at the 1st reveal. Can't wait to see what the "spaceship" design looks like.

IMHO, all these aftermarket HUDs are a gimmick. Don't waste your money on it. The only HUD I would get is one that is specially designed and integrated into my vehicle.

Spot on.

Just wait for Tesla to come out with their own. I'm sure it will be better than those available now and it will obviously be made strictly for Tesla vehicles.

@pingc315 as far as I'm aware, the obd2 port does not output any signals that would be useful for a 3rd party HUD, only power and ground. No actual CAN bus pins are connected to the port

Is the OBD2 port on the Tesla different than other cars? There's the standard OBD2 down in the drivers foot well and the non-standard connector to the center stack in the space under the center screen. Standardized OBDII will provide voltage and ground, as well as CAN high and CAN low. At a minimum, there should be some diagnostics signals (DIDs, DTCs, etc) that you can get but I would be surprised if you couldn't parse the speedo info.

I may be wrong, however from my research i believe at no point are any can systems connected to the obd2 connector. Only the non standard connector under the 17" screen. The reasoning behind this is its federal US law to have a obd2 port in the vehicle. However it doesnt state it has to pass SAE generic diagnosis code that a HUD would work on. This is something that doesnt exist in the EU or Oceania product market.

In saying that, it may be posible to grab the data from under the cubby, feed into something like a raspberry pi to transcode to something the HUD can read. There is several long threads on Can bus logging and decoding. I haven't had a chance to go through them

I just peeked into the rabbit hole that is the Tesla Diagnostics Connector (TDC) that resides under the center screen. It's definitely possible to get battery info, motor RPM, charging state, HVAC info. Tons of info available. This being said, the drivers side OBDII connector is not connected to CAN. I didn't know that BEV manufacturers weren't beholden to OBDii standards, and don't have to use it (lol). I'll go as far to say that any aftermarket HUD available on the market right now won't work with a Tesla since the CAN message addresses aren't standard.

Both Navdy and Hudly use secondary glass. It makes a bit chunky on dashboard i think. I was looking for the HUD directly on the windshield. Most of them are so blurry. I was told friend of mine from South Korea that this device projects on the windshield. Plus it ain't blur. The device is called APROVIEW. It shows things like speed, RPM, battery voltage, temperature of intercooler, etc. This device connects to ACC power source and shares OBD information wireless. I'm not sure it offers in US now.