Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$4,600 for burned out headlights, any alternatives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the past month both of my headlight bulbs have burnt out. Quote from Tesla $4,600....is there no way just to replace the bulbs versus entire assembly?

VUJF5XKH7DgTqDzzoYRhb59AfvxkW-Om0UlpvOBkk5BPjXo-z_K8Os3Qdix5ys2QPiZ_41BW7uKumlmkLuxaL_nC-hDgjgt7hBK9cGSNCcEuZkBVAgNQKnRYRVXxQp80m7WisaOpNql63thedzBRkjUOZt-3-bj3U8x7Ek70D58ScBbnpJYcRhDBSYGgFJAjwXP6kbanFAa9WccONvoWaAju4eIG4LbYMjIOX6wOGqgnnO76u3YPRTiqI_WM8Z0Z2aPBqH5S7uiPSF1hqkAL5Qp0ew6wsjgMMJiaTcgqtnPWGkLJfcGbnkqCJJd_9XzS8h-qN98KkjnnrRS6Eu6QO8z8-bjk6mpDwjMtx5FTD0f94XhdB75zXcPevGGF6ns0MLrqZVjU2iXxL-R-k9cyAB5DhI8qQCgWLbRgo9dVNtKdGV4Vy-WtpBaglclek5Ywjwrbt6B68RtxxUCAzh7C34XsRqGMP1tFwjMWszUGHKPre91nRmbXm2zVK2HfeOKWZoQjc8ubb_HS5otvF-BJb3iOpf_BAamLPjK1aSkupqULFBSVt771IrpmMALDVfHkdv6WBrqcGBD6Tdw8Vmnc1QOE03hMOPBNVB6TPJQdBPE8XXFiDhY85CIBm7dIxz9aWgwBMNFkcjVxBP0tCb_fibcCwxQEFxrAV_cvGWOy59PCTWUvIIXDaqlXMA1syhyXNN9plzPBGByrIMifOfHj9dQR=w694-h898-no

Did the DRL LEDs also burn out or just the main driving light?

From your signature I believe you have a Model S with the nosecone. Those use HID headlights instead of LED for the main beam. That should just use a standard D2S bulb Which can be purchase for MUCH less than what you’re being quoted to replace the entire assembly.

If it’s your DRL LEDs that are burnt out then those are part of the sealed unit. You will probably have to look to buy a used set of headlight assemblies locally or from ebay or something.

In the past month both of my headlight bulbs have burnt out. Quote from Tesla $4,600....is there no way just to replace the bulbs versus entire assembly?

VUJF5XKH7DgTqDzzoYRhb59AfvxkW-Om0UlpvOBkk5BPjXo-z_K8Os3Qdix5ys2QPiZ_41BW7uKumlmkLuxaL_nC-hDgjgt7hBK9cGSNCcEuZkBVAgNQKnRYRVXxQp80m7WisaOpNql63thedzBRkjUOZt-3-bj3U8x7Ek70D58ScBbnpJYcRhDBSYGgFJAjwXP6kbanFAa9WccONvoWaAju4eIG4LbYMjIOX6wOGqgnnO76u3YPRTiqI_WM8Z0Z2aPBqH5S7uiPSF1hqkAL5Qp0ew6wsjgMMJiaTcgqtnPWGkLJfcGbnkqCJJd_9XzS8h-qN98KkjnnrRS6Eu6QO8z8-bjk6mpDwjMtx5FTD0f94XhdB75zXcPevGGF6ns0MLrqZVjU2iXxL-R-k9cyAB5DhI8qQCgWLbRgo9dVNtKdGV4Vy-WtpBaglclek5Ywjwrbt6B68RtxxUCAzh7C34XsRqGMP1tFwjMWszUGHKPre91nRmbXm2zVK2HfeOKWZoQjc8ubb_HS5otvF-BJb3iOpf_BAamLPjK1aSkupqULFBSVt771IrpmMALDVfHkdv6WBrqcGBD6Tdw8Vmnc1QOE03hMOPBNVB6TPJQdBPE8XXFiDhY85CIBm7dIxz9aWgwBMNFkcjVxBP0tCb_fibcCwxQEFxrAV_cvGWOy59PCTWUvIIXDaqlXMA1syhyXNN9plzPBGByrIMifOfHj9dQR=w694-h898-no
The automotive industry in general long ago switched from headlights where the bulb could be replaced to complete assemblies with non-replaceable bulbs. It is very annoying. The only good news is that modern LEDs have very low failure rates, but as @Tony_YYZ notes your S70D uses HID bulbs.

Reactions: cdswm3
Update...after talking to Tesla Service again they were able to replace just the bulbs. Final cost $593...not cheap but a lot better than 4.6k

View attachment 741438
Holy moly that’s super expensive for two bulbs. You probably could have bought some Morimoto 4300k bulbs from TRS for like $100/pair and Installed them yourself or pay any other shop an installation fee. They are nothing special really.

Lesson for next time I suppose.

We’re you charged twice for labour? I don’t believe you should be paying for diagnosis as well as labour, which curiously are a multiple of each other
I was charged diagnostic fee too for my most recent out-of-warranty repair. When out of warranty, the diagnostic fee is not waived if you approve the actual repair, it's an extra charge. Some other shops/automakers may waive the diagnostic fee for such situations.

OK for full disclosure while not going too off-topic, I was billed the standard diagnostic fee even though they knew what was wrong when I went in (they had already remotely looked at the logs). Then I show up, they look at the car, put together the quote to replace the battery heater, I agree to replace the battery heater and diagnostic fee. They proceed to change it but then things went sideways. Long story short the high voltage junction box had failed, and some fuse in the battery, plus the battery heater. They had my car for nearly 2 weeks... I was able to negotiate the removal of the diagnostic fee because they misdiagnosed when I first took it in. But I don't think that's normal LOL... maybe it is??

According to the posted picture of the invoice $ 210.00 was charged for labour. Half of that was the diagnostic fee. Extremely high price for the D3S "bulbs" when they are less than $ 50.00 a pair on Amazon. That's what I purchased when I had to replace one last year.
Any issue with using aftermarket D3S Bulbs so far?