Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4,700 miles on my Model 3 and my tires are on the wear bar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is toe-in from the factory. The car doesn't need it, we've tested everything from 2mm in per side to 3mm OUT per side, and the car tracks and has great stability no matter what the rear toe is. I feel 1mm of toe per side is more than acceptable and will extend tire life.

However, if you're flooring it from every stoplight there's simply no getting around the fact that you're wiping rubber onto the road and it's not going to stay on the tire :) RWD EV's with a lot of torque and regen are going to go through rear tires quickly with any kind of spirited driving. But 5000 miles is pretty impressive! Nice work!

There is toe-in from the factory. The car doesn't need it, we've tested everything from 2mm in per side to 3mm OUT per side, and the car tracks and has great stability no matter what the rear toe is. I feel 1mm of toe per side is more than acceptable and will extend tire life.

However, if you're flooring it from every stoplight there's simply no getting around the fact that you're wiping rubber onto the road and it's not going to stay on the tire :) RWD EV's with a lot of torque and regen are going to go through rear tires quickly with any kind of spirited driving. But 5000 miles is pretty impressive! Nice work!
Tesla just called me and said I need two back tires 7k miles. Too many donuts and drifts I guess;)

Updating now 5 months later; sitting at over 24,500 miles, tires have been rotated 3 times and due for a fourth. Still okay, but will need new ones by summer is my guestimation. No change in driving habits since August when first reported. Car is still ******* amazing!

What is your tread depth measuringn now? In your first post you said "half"... does that mean 5/32" left?*

Just rotated mine a second time (18" Aero, MXM4) at 10,500 miles. First rotation was around 4,800 miles. Tires are all even at 5/32".

*I'm calculating as: { [8/32" new tread depth] - [2/32" legal minimum] } x 50% = 3/32" of tread wear or 5/32" tread depth remaining.

What is your tread depth measuringn now? In your first post you said "half"... does that mean 5/32" left?*

Just rotated mine a second time (18" Aero, MXM4) at 10,500 miles. First rotation was around 4,800 miles. Tires are all even at 5/32".

*I'm calculating as: { [8/32" new tread depth] - [2/32" legal minimum] } x 50% = 3/32" of tread wear or 5/32" tread depth remaining.

I have:

P3D+

Just over 8/32 front
Just under 8/32 rear

1800 miles

Lifetime Wh/mi is 297Wh/mi. I am in SoCal so only make modest use of cabin heat. I try not to use the brakes or regen.

3/32 left on all 4. Very even wear. So back in August at 17.5k they were at about half (4/32). You at 10.5k and sitting on 5/32 sounds like we’ve got very similar tire wear (and have similar driving styles) and both of us should expect about 30k miles on them.

Reactions: DR61
3/32 left on all 4. Very even wear. So back in August at 17.5k they were at about half (4/32). You at 10.5k and sitting on 5/32 sounds like we’ve got very similar tire wear (and have similar driving styles) and both of us should expect about 30k miles on them.
That's not half of life left. You shouldn't ride them down to the cords [for street tires]. :p At 2/32" Tesla service will recommend tire replacement, incessantly. And they'll put the "recommended tires" on the service page you sign. Exact laws will vary by jurisdiction but at that point in tire wear you risk the grooves getting overwhelmed and losing traction, with even very modest amounts of water/rain. I know you're SoCal, but still.

BTW I've reduced my tire
pressure to 41 PSI cold, 44 PSI operating. Not for road noise but 45PSI cold is too much I think, I'm getting a bit of uneven center wear.

P.S. Pretty sure my factory front passenger toe was completely out of wack. Way above spec and it ate that tire up on the inside. Got Tesla to fix it.