Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Stall Megacharger Installed in Sacramento

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 11.33.09 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 11.34.29 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 11.35.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 11.37.06 PM.png

Last edited:

View attachment 885216
View attachment 885217
View attachment 885218

View attachment 885220

Is that 8 cabinets for the four stalls? Funny how one stall in the video is ICEd:)

It looks like the video actually shows the truck plugged in, so now we know that the charge port is in the middle of the vehicle:

1671129539830.png

Which means there is almost no possibility of the Semi using a normal Supercharger site, at least not without blocking 4+ stalls even when there isn't a trailer hooked up.

It looks like the video actually shows the truck plugged in, so now we know that the charge port is in the middle of the vehicle:

View attachment 885376

Which means there is almost no possibility of the Semi using a normal Supercharger site, at least not without blocking 4+ stalls even when there isn't a trailer hooked up.
Unless there are drive-thru V4 stalls. Then it would work.

A normal Supercharger site doesn't have drive-thru stalls... (They are currently very rare, at least in North America.)
I just saw pictures of it a couple of days ago. Cabazon, CA has biiig pull-through stalls.

so...these Mega chargers...you disconnect the trailer and back in? why?

i kinda thought pull thru would be a no brainer for Tesla Semi...or at least a mega charger nearest the loading dock so, it charges whilst loading.

what am i missing here? you back into the loading dock (both tractor and trailer), disconnect, take the tractor over to the Mega charger and back in? gots to be a more efficient way to do this, right?

i kinda thought pull thru would be a no brainer for Tesla Semi...or at least a mega charger nearest the loading dock so, it charges whilst loading.

what am i missing here? you back into the loading dock (both tractor and trailer), disconnect, take the tractor over to the Mega charger and back in? gots to be a more efficient way to do this, right?
I don’t think that’s a design that they’ll be using for all.

This looks like a depot where they pick up and drop off so the trailer would be parked at a bay or designated staging area.

Last edited:

Because charging is separate from loading and unloading activities. Putting a charger at the loading dock would mean that dock should be reserved for EV use. Putting the charger in a separate location means an EV truck can drop a trailer off at any dock space, charge, then pick up a trailer from somewhere else. It's rare for a fleet truck driver (such as Pepsico) to pull up to a dock with a trailer, wait for it to get unloaded, then leave with that same trailer. They drop a trailer, then grab a different one and hit the road again.

A little more information on the charger installs in this article: Exclusive: PepsiCo to roll out 100 Tesla Semis in 2023, exec says

PepsiCo Inc (PEP.O), which ordered the big trucks in 2017, is purchasing them "outright" and is also upgrading its plants, including installing four 750-kilowatt Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) charging stalls at both its Modesto and Sacramento locations in California

He said Tesla did not help pay for the trucks' megachargers but provided design and engineering services for the facilities, which come with solar and battery storage systems.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I’d love to see that charging curve but that seems like it falls short of the 1MW claim.

Pepsi may have only had 3MW of power available and wanted to split it over 4 charging stalls. (Which is why the stalls are 750kW/each.)

Or it could be that they didn't want to pay more to get the 1MW+ charging speed. (Maybe a ~40 minute turn around is fine for their purposes. Or they only make one trip per day, and then are charged overnight.)

Is it possible that Pepsi is taking shorter range (300mi) semi’s? (Probably 550kWh pack)
Nope. The article says that they are currently only getting Semis with 500 miles of range. But they want 300 mile ones too as soon Tesla starts making them.

Pepsi may have only had 3MW of power available and wanted to split it over 4 charging stalls. (Which is why the stalls are 750kW/each.)

Or it could be that they didn't want to pay more to get the 1MW+ charging speed. (Maybe a ~40 minute turn around is fine for their purposes. Or they only make one trip per day, and then are charged overnight.)

Nope. The article says that they are currently only getting Semis with 500 miles of range. But they want 300 mile ones too as soon Tesla starts making them.
Looks like 8 cabinets and a Megapack.
If Megapack outputs a compatible DC bus, two V3s per pedestal can put out well over a megawatt. This configuration would explain the additional cabinet behind the Megapack (DC disconnect and distribution).

Reactions: ElectricIAC