Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 cell implications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's amazing to me that, in the aftermath of Battery Day, no one has really focused on the charging implications of the new cell design. The chart presented, if accurate, would indicate that the 4680 cells should take almost no time to fully charge. If that is the case, the bottleneck will move to the charging infrastructure itself and the amount of energy it can transfer. The fact that the CyberTruck and the Semi would be the only vehicles (initially, at least) to receive the new cell design also makes me wonder if Elon has something else up his sleeve for the rest of the fleet, that will still use the 2170 and the 18650 cells. If I were a betting man, I would put some money on the integration/use of supercapacitors.

Few believe supercaps have any place in the power electronics. They capture and release bursts of energy, so maybe regen and ludicrous mode helpers.

My question is, if the new cells are not ready when Cybertruck starts production, will early Cybertrucks be orphans with lower spec batteries?

• Funny
Reactions: S3XY and Watts_Up
Few believe supercaps have any place in the power electronics. They capture and release bursts of energy, so maybe regen and ludicrous mode helpers.

My question is, if the new cells are not ready when Cybertruck starts production, will early Cybertrucks be orphans with lower spec batteries?

That's a good question. I'd be inclined to delay purchase a bit to get the new batteries. Seems to be a non trivial upgrade so worth the wait. My presumption is that the ranges quoted for the CT, especially the tri motor, are dependent on these new batteries.

Reactions: CyberGus
Clarify the “almost no time” deduction.

(I’m still trying to wrap my head around the battery chemistry. Didn’t occur to me to consider time factors yet.)

The actual amount of time has not been revealed, but this image gives you some idea of the drastic reduction in time to charge.
2020.09-tesla-battery-day-elon-musk-drew-baglino-4680-cell-jelly-roll-supercharging-thermal.png

I won't buy a CT unless it has the newer cells, I will gladly wait a bit longer for that improvement, if needed.

Few believe supercaps have any place in the power electronics.
They capture and release bursts of energy, so maybe regen and ludicrous mode helpers.

My question is, if the new cells are not ready when Cybertruck starts production,
will early Cybertrucks be orphans with lower spec batteries?
You can still use it down the hill.... unless Nikola Motors patented it and would sue Tesla !!!

The chart shows that it is actually slower. Just not as slow as sizing the "tabbed" design up to 46x80.
It goes a bit against reason that even though the tabless cells don't have the same heat mgmt issues that the existing cells have, they would take longer to charge. Having many points of contact (being tabless) and thus reducing the distance the energy has to travel would also make you think: this should charge faster than existing cells. The way the current packs are charged, once they are above ~75% charged the charge rate slows to help manage the heat to protect the pack from damage, something that the new cells reportedly won't have to do. Any thoughts as to why all of this would result in a slower charge for the new cells?

It goes a bit against reason that even though the tabless cells don't have the same heat mgmt issues that the existing cells have, they would take longer to charge. Having many points of contact (being tabless) and thus reducing the distance the energy has to travel would also make you think: this should charge faster than existing cells. The way the current packs are charged, once they are above ~75% charged the charge rate slows to help manage the heat to protect the pack from damage, something that the new cells reportedly won't have to do. Any thoughts as to why all of this would result in a slower charge for the new cells?

The chart is normalized to make the 21mm speeds identical for the twp types. It's purpose is to show the relative impact on charge speed vs diameter for each specific type, not to compare the speeds of the two types. Otherwise, a 15mm tabbed would extrapolate to be faster than a 15mm tabless.

I think this chart shows that while a tabless battery charges much faster than a battery with a tab, doesn't it also show that a larger diameter battery takes LONGER to charge. This difference is greatly minimized because it is tabless, but it is still a longer amount of time. The bigger battery suggests slower supercharging, not faster. Maybe this is offset by the energy capacity, but without units I don't think you can draw the conclusion that the new batteries will charge faster, and if anything they might charge slower.

The chart shows that it is actually slower. Just not as slow as sizing the "tabbed" design up to 46x80.

Well, it's slower to charge a cell, but if the cells allow for significantly increased energy density, increased power density and are much cheaper, then you'd be paying the same amount for more range and faster charging, or paying much less for about the same charging but with more range, or somewhere in between.

Personally, I'll take a cheap long-range electric that's a bit slower to charge.

Yes. This graph is saying charge times increases on the new tabless cells are decoupled or virtually independent of the cell size.

I think charge times on the tabless cells will be faster for the same amount of energy (100 kWh). I expect them to be able to sustain higher charge rates for longer.

The chart is normalized to make the 21mm speeds identical for the twp types. It's purpose is to show the relative impact on charge speed vs diameter for each specific type, not to compare the speeds of the two types. Otherwise, a 15mm tabbed would extrapolate to be faster than a 15mm tabless.

Reactions: S3XY and mongo
It won't. I can see them using the existing proven chemistry and sizing up the cells to get significant immediate benefits on existing products.