Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any chance the new Model Y delivered in February will have the new 4680 Battery pack. I am tentatively scheduled to receive my car between February 7th and March 7th 2022. I can't seem to get anyone who can give me an answer.

Disappointed in big product roadmap call yesterday. Didn't answer major question regarding Model Y and 4680's. How will Austin and Fremont differ? Produce two entirely different cars? Shift Fremont to M3/S? How do you know where your car is coming from if you order? Nobody wants the older battery technology when ordering today. Would be like ordering an iPhone 13 and they send you the 12.

Disappointed in big product roadmap call yesterday. Didn't answer major question regarding Model Y and 4680's. How will Austin and Fremont differ? Produce two entirely different cars? Shift Fremont to M3/S? How do you know where your car is coming from if you order? Nobody wants the older battery technology when ordering today. Would be like ordering an iPhone 13 and they send you the 12.
I think you'd be surprised how little a lot of people care or even know about the new 4680 roadmap. I for one would 100% wait until I knew for sure I was getting the 4680s, but most people will the the Y as a Y regardless of battery tech.

Once you get a Vin# you will know which factory

After the call last night, if it comes from Austin, there is a good chance it will
You are assuming Austin can just turn on and start producing at max capacity. This is very unlikely. Chances are, production will be low and slow initially. Most MY in the next quarter will still be from Fremont. Shanghai took times to reach full capacity. It may be quicker for Austin since they learned from Shanghai, but it'd still take time.

You are assuming Austin can just turn on and start producing at max capacity. This is very unlikely. Chances are, production will be low and slow initially. Most MY in the next quarter will still be from Fremont. Shanghai took times to reach full capacity. It may be quicker for Austin since they learned from Shanghai, but it'd still take time.
Of course not full capacity at start, but after Biden had meeting with everyone but Tesla, I am sure he will be churning out even more so. Still has a good chance(better than yesterday lol) to possible get one, Vin# will tell

I'm on the fence. Don't even have my car yet. So you say it is a noticeable improvement in acceleration? Not just a subtle change? I have a friend who has driven a MY with it installed and said the boost is negligible at best and to save my money????
If your friend said it’s not worth it he is not being honest with you there is a big difference in passing and the pull after 20 mph. Maybe he just didn’t drive it enough? also the speed stays with the car longer with a lower SOC. Meaning it’s faster at 50 percent that a non ab At 85 percent. Or so. There is a big difference between the two. Try it for a day they let you For free. Good luck

Last edited:
I'm on the fence. Don't even have my car yet. So you say it is a noticeable improvement in acceleration? Not just a subtle change? I have a friend who has driven a MY with it installed and said the boost is negligible at best and to save my money????
It is noticeable, moreso than putting an intake and exhaust system and chip on a 4cyl ICE car. It puts you up to speed with the Model 3(unless they also have AB)...If they didnt offer i might have gotten the P...right now I would for sure since the price is soooo close.

It is noticeable, moreso than putting an intake and exhaust system and chip on a 4cyl ICE car. It puts you up to speed with the Model 3(unless they also have AB)...If they didnt offer i might have gotten the P...right now I would for sure since the price is soooo close.
Apologizing in advance to the OP for off topic discussion, but about AB, I was wondering how does it exactly deliver a .5s 0-60mph (~50hp) advantage? Is the motor in default config that detuned? Also other than the cost, any disadvantages? Any potential post warranty issues due to higher load on components?

Apologizing in advance to the OP for off topic discussion, but about AB, I was wondering how does it exactly deliver a .5s 0-60mph (~50hp) advantage? Is the motor in default config that detuned? Also other than the cost, any disadvantages? Any potential post warranty issues due to higher load on components?
Under warranty. The motor can easily handle its software, same way the old 980 LRs could ghost upgrade(3rd party) to P speed, no disadvantages unless you dont like speed and want to save the 2k.

• Informative
Reactions: leaftoy
"We're beginning production of Model Y's with the new 4680s and structural pack in Austin, but everybody just please keep buying the ones coming out of Fremont. Those use the existing 2170 pack that we want to stop making as soon as we can. Don't worry about the battery warranty, because you can always trust us to do the right thing by our customers."

Reactions: leoita
"We're beginning production of Model Y's with the new 4680s and structural pack in Austin, but everybody just please keep buying the ones coming out of Fremont. Those use the existing 2170 pack that we want to stop making as soon as we can. Don't worry about the battery warranty, because you can always trust us to do the right thing by our customers."
Makes ya wonder if a 2170 pack goes back in a year or two if they will put 4680s...