Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don’t know if the “new” Model Ys will be lighter. They might ship with LFP batteries which eliminate the weight savings from the castings and the 4680 cells. Tesla has said they are going to prefer using the LFP cells over nickel where it’s possible.
I'm presuming a RWD Model Y with LFP 4680 batteries will have an acceptable range of 260+ EPA miles, and that might be the most important consumer benefit to the deployment of 4680 battery format.

Hoping the AWD version will get 15% range increase too.

I'm presuming a RWD Model Y with LFP 4680 batteries will have an acceptable range of 260+ EPA miles, and that might be the most important consumer benefit to the deployment of 4680 battery format.

Hoping the AWD version will get 15% range increase too.

Tesla has mentioned there will not be LFP versions of the 4680 size cells. New chemistry only going forward. There is rumored to be a 2170 structural pack, and those could conceivably be LFP's for a SR+, if they ever make a SR+ again.

Tesla has mentioned there will not be LFP versions of the 4680 size cells. New chemistry only going forward. There is rumored to be a 2170 structural pack, and those could conceivably be LFP's for a SR+, if they ever make a SR+ again.
I haven't seen that comment, but it doesn't surprise me they'd initially focus on just one battery chemistry to get the 4680 battery into production.

But it would surprise me if that continued to be the case, since LFP is a better cost for the SR+ ranged vehicles.

Upd: Not successful in finding any comments from Tesla about LFP and 4680, but did find a Panasonic comment about not building 4680-format batteries with LFP chemistry, but Tesla are building their own 4680 batteries, so that doesn't matter.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that comment, but it doesn't surprise me they'd initially focus on just one battery chemistry to get the 4680 battery into production.

But it would surprise me if that continued to be the case, since LFP is a better cost for the SR+ ranged vehicles.

Upd: Not successful in finding any comments from Tesla about LFP and 4680, but did find a Panasonic comment about not building 4680-format batteries with LFP chemistry, but Tesla are building their own 4680 batteries, so that doesn't matter.
LFP is less energy dense so why use it in a battery format that is being designed to reduce weight/size per comparable physical size? To be clear, NCM 4680 is not more energy dense than NCM 2170. The packaging/format means less non-power producing material in an entire pack.

LFP 18650 - 1800mah
NCM 18650 - >2500mah

1644850417482.png

LFP is less energy dense so why use it in a battery format that is being designed to reduce weight/size per comparable physical size? To be clear, NCM 4680 is not more energy dense than NCM 2170. The packaging/format means less non-power producing material in an entire pack.

LFP 18650 - 1800mah
NCM 18650 - >2500mah

View attachment 768867
Yes LFP is less energy dense than L-Ion, but a lot cheaper.

It fits in the SR+ models for Tesla, while they use the more dense, more expensive on LR

Yes LFP is less energy dense than L-Ion, but a lot cheaper.

It fits in the SR+ models for Tesla, while they use the more dense, more expensive on LR
Honestly, they could even do it on the LR, just a lesser trim that isn't all that fast. Keep the Lion for the Performance models and high-end trim LR.

SOOOO many people could have slower Teslas that wouldn't care. I for one want a Tesla because its fast and wouldn't be interested at all if it wasn't... but I know I'm in the minority.

They’ve said they are using the blade batteries right now, but never said expressly that they wouldn’t also do a 4680 LFP cell at a later date.

That is future though. The initial 4680s going into the Model Y will be nickel only.

Honestly, they could even do it on the LR, just a lesser trim that isn't all that fast. Keep the Lion for the Performance models and high-end trim LR.

SOOOO many people could have slower Teslas that wouldn't care. I for one want a Tesla because its fast and wouldn't be interested at all if it wasn't... but I know I'm in the minority.

They can't currently do an LFP LR because they can't get enough capacity.

But I think Tesla has shown the way, and with a number of LFP patents expiring this year, I expect that within a few years the other manufacturers will follow, with the small battery option being LFP and the larger capacity battery being NMC.

They can't currently do an LFP LR because they can't get enough capacity.

But I think Tesla has shown the way, and with a number of LFP patents expiring this year, I expect that within a few years the other manufacturers will follow, with the small battery option being LFP and the larger capacity battery being NMC.
Oh no doubt, I don't think its something they'll do anytime soon regardless. I was however under the impression that LFP LR was feasible, just that it would make for an overly heavy vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

The LFP batteries are too bulky to provide LR range in a Model 3 or Y. Just don't fit.

That's why:
LFP -> SR+
L-Ion -> LR

Reactions: Mrbrock and WhiteWi
The LFP batteries are too bulky to provide LR range in a Model 3 or Y. Just don't fit.

That's why:
LFP -> SR+
L-Ion -> LR
I just watched this very technical video that goes into great detail about the technical challenges and possibilities of a 4680 LFP cell. It is not impossible to achieve a decent range, but it will require some development to get there, mostly silicon in the cathode.

I just watched this very technical video that goes into great detail about the technical challenges and possibilities of a 4680 LFP cell. It is not impossible to achieve a decent range, but it will require some development to get there, mostly silicon in the cathode.
So, Tesla should spend millions developing LFP 4680 so they can get less range? They already have LFP that works and gives less range. And being prismatic, they are already way larger than 4680 so have even more benefits than a 4680 would have.

Tey
o, Tesla should spend millions developing LFP 4680 so they can get less range? They already have LFP that works and gives less range. And being prismatic, they are already way larger than 4680 so have even more benefits than a 4680 would have.h

Telsa already sell models with less range than others.

Using LFP on the lower range variants reduces cost, compared to the same capacity in L-Ion.