Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 on Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your friend said it’s not worth it he is not being honest with you there is a big difference in passing and the pull after 20 mph. Maybe he just didn’t drive it enough? also the speed stays with the car longer with a lower SOC. Meaning it’s faster at 50 percent that a non ab At 85 percent. Or so. There is a big difference between the two. Try it for a day they let you For free. Good luck
They still have the try it out feature, that you can get your $ refunded? Is it 24hrs ?

Reactions: whisperingshad
If your friend said it’s not worth it he is not being honest with you there is a big difference in passing and the pull after 20 mph. Maybe he just didn’t drive it enough? also the speed stays with the car longer with a lower SOC. Meaning it’s faster at 50 percent that a non ab At 85 percent. Or so. There is a big difference between the two. Try it for a day they let you For free. Good luck
Is it a 24 hr. period that they let you try? Then they will refund your credit card charge?

At the end of 2021 everyone was trying to put their orders on hold hoping for the BBB to pass. Now everyone's going to be putting their orders on hold waiting and hoping for the 4680 battery packs. You wonder why the legacy manufacturers make all their changes at once when releasing new model year cars. I know people like the fact that Tesla makes changes throughout the year, but it would be less confusing to just make hardware changes once a year. At least consumers would know what they're getting and you'd think it would make manufacturing less confusing as well.

At the end of 2021 everyone was trying to put their orders on hold hoping for the BBB to pass. Now everyone's going to be putting their orders on hold waiting and hoping for the 4680 battery packs. You wonder why the legacy manufacturers make all their changes at once when releasing new model year cars. I know people like the fact that Tesla makes changes throughout the year, but it would be less confusing to just make hardware changes once a year. At least consumers would know what they're getting and you'd think it would make manufacturing less confusing as well.
meh.. i have a 2012 model S and a 2021 model y... they honestly are not that different except the 2012 cruise control maybe works better

Reactions: Evthusiast
meh.. i have a 2012 model S and a 2021 model y... they honestly are not that different except the 2012 cruise control maybe works better
Other than the ridiculousness of comparing two different models, comparing them 9 years apart is even more ridiculous. Other than the Tesla badge, there is nothing similar between a Model S and Y. Even my 2019 Model S is vastly different than a 2012 Model S. From the nose cone, to the seats to the processor.

Other than the ridiculousness of comparing two different models, comparing them 9 years apart is even more ridiculous. Other than the Tesla badge, there is nothing similar between a Model S and Y. Even my 2019 Model S is vastly different than a 2012 Model S. From the nose cone, to the seats to the processor.
But they both have wheels, and can drive, and are even steerable via an in-cabin wheel. Indistinguishable. Checkmate.

• Funny
Reactions: Kairide
They both have similar torque and similar interfaces.. I don't see the front end from the driver's seat... They feel more the same than my f150

I guess what I'm saying is that even after 9 years of technology advances I don't feel any FOMO if I only had the 2012 which is a testament to how awesome over the air updates are

Last edited:
Wow, so many people have said differently.
Maybe its different expectations, no sure.
For me anything to with signing paperwork, payment etc was all remotely handled out of state, Nevada in my case. The service center folks went out of their way not to touch any paperwork. But taking delivery was at the Service Center.
I have also volunteered at several end of qtr/year delivery days where local Tesla owners club members help new owners learn about their new delivered cars.

Maybe its different expectations, no sure.
For me anything to with signing paperwork, payment etc was all remotely handled out of state, Nevada in my case. The service center folks went out of their way not to touch any paperwork. But taking delivery was at the Service Center.
I have also volunteered at several end of qtr/year delivery days where local Tesla owners club members help new owners learn about their new delivered cars.
The point of contention is that some say , that vehicles made in Texas must be shipped out of state, before they can be sold in Texas. Where as current situation doesn't require that since the vehicles do come from out of state anyways.

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
The point of contention is that some say , that vehicles made in Texas must be shipped out of state, before they can be sold in Texas. Where as current situation doesn't require that since the vehicles do come from out of state anyways.
see what you mean. That would be annoying if we can't get locally built cars, especially when the Fremont cars won't have the structural battery and 4680.
I suppose the next question will be, when will Fremont get structural battery packs?

Reactions: Terminator857
see what you mean. That would be annoying if we can't get locally built cars, especially when the Fremont cars won't have the structural battery and 4680.
I suppose the next question will be, when will Fremont get structural battery packs?
On a lighter note: Have you seen a fortune teller by the name of Elon M. regarding Fremont?