Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

50 miles of Loss in Parked Garage in 5 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps I should rephrase that to say I don’t understand people who have third party crap communicate with their car and then blame Tesla for having so much vampire drain.

The owners manual does say Tesla does not support any apps communicating with the car other than the Tesla app.

Teslafi can be managed well if properly setup and still allow the car to sleep with minimal impact on vampire drain. I had the same issue until I turn the settings on to allow the car to sleep.

Exactly. The most important thing to stem range loss is to make sure the car can sleep.

A few notes from a year and half of ownership/testing:
1) make sure always connected is off
2) don’t use the app to check on your car. Everytime you open it, it wakes up the car. Check on teslafi instead
3) make sure your teslfi settings allow the car to sleep. This usually means set it to not poll for ~15mins after parking.
4) if the car is downloading an update, it will not sleep (and will use a lot more power)
5) on occasion, one of the systems will get “stuck on”. Rebooting resolves this. If your car is not sleeping per teslafi, try this.

Last edited:
You have dash cam, pinging the car, and it must be hotter in that garage during the day then 85 outside. We were 95 outside here last week and my car used 20 miles per day outside to keep it at 104 or less. What temp is your AC last set to as you leave the car? It uses that last setting I think, turn it to 77-78 degrees and fan to 4-5 perhaps. It may take longer to cool the car while unoccupied, but the wattage to achieve maintain less colder setting may be less. Either way in the airport setting the car will stop using energy to keep it under 104 if the battery gets below a certain %( I forget right now what that level is). You better hope a supercharger is close at hand or a great level 2 high wattage and you have large charger onboard to take 80 watts with 100Kwh bat.

Just a quick followup. I arrived back yesterday from vacation after being gone for 16 days and only experienced 24 miles of loss. I'm very pleased with this. I think the big thing was changing my settings in TeslaFi and allowing my car to sleep and not checking my app every 15 min while I was gone. Thanks for all the help.

Reactions: oneday
You answered your own question. I don’t understand people who have third party crap communicating with their car and then wonder why they have so much vampire drain.

Yep, although I love the features of TeslaFi and other apps like it, my car just doesn't stay asleep when using them, and I've heard that the 12V battery can take a beating because of this as well (need source). My car sleeps like a baby now that I've stopped using TeslaFi.

Teslafi can be managed well if properly setup and still allow the car to sleep with minimal impact on vampire drain. I had the same issue until I turn the settings on to allow the car to sleep.

allowing the car to sleep requires you to put energy saving mode on right? I don't want to use energy saving mode while driving the S but without it, it seems teslafi cannot get the car to sleep?

Energy saving mode doesn’t impact the car while it is driving, it only has an impact after you lock the car. If it is in, more of your computer turn off so less energy is used while parked. It takes a few seconds to wake up when you get to the car and the phone app can take 30 seconds to connect if car is asleep. It is different than range mode, which impact how the car functions.

This is the essence of leasing, vs buyout at the end perhaps vs owning vs maybe owning for a long time. We are all coming at this from different angles perhaps with our own set of prescribed actions to meet an end.

Make sure cabin overheard protection is off. That was a big source of drain for my model S for months, before I realized it.

Overheat is very important though if you plan on keeping the car as it saves your interior. Yes, if you need the range on a trip and your parked for 8 hours(no charge in sight the rest of your day, then you may need to turn it off and find some shade to park. If your being thrifty on daily drives, I see no reason to not use it. In the end the cost of what your using is minimal.

Energy saving mode doesn’t impact the car while it is driving, it only has an impact after you lock the car. If it is in, more of your computer turn off so less energy is used while parked. It takes a few seconds to wake up when you get to the car and the phone app can take 30 seconds to connect if car is asleep. It is different than range mode, which impact how the car functions.

I use both and its a minor inconvenience daily and I'm hopeful on long drives the range mode helps a bit, I have no measuring stick to track that.

None of it is any good if you have a lead foot. Your wasting your time using all of it if your heavy footed. Just mash the peddle and get some more juice.

Where it makes sense on long trips is time, no amount of recharging is worth waiting for, if your using more juice to get to the charger quicker and have to wait double time to make up for it.