TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

500,000 M3's, but Where Do They Go?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Quietninja22, May 16, 2016.

1. Quietninja22

Quietninja22 Member

I understand that there are currently at or above 400k M3 reservations and that Tesla wants and needs to produce them as quickly as possible, but with Musk's plan to build 500k per year, where will the cars go? I know relatively little about S demand currently, but I assume it has varied since launch. In a perfect world, everybody who saw the car would want the car and order one, but you and I both know that there will be those that wish to hold on to their souped up gas-guzzlers until it is illegal. So my question to you is, where does Musk plan for the M3's to go?

2. eloder

eloder Member

Look at the number of Model S's shipped yearly compared to initial reservations/pre-orders.

There's your answer.

3. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

It doesn't work the way you think. The M3 would be a competitive value in the market and popular on that basis.

4. Colsla

Colsla Member

About 100 million cars are sold per year world wide. There are many countries Tesla hasnt been introduced, but 500k cars a year is a drop in a bucket at 0.5% ish of the total market with 50 countries Tesla will sell their cars to. (50 comes from the dropdown list of Model 3 Reservation page. It may be 49.. but you get the idea)

Edit: 500k cars arent Model 3's. It will be the combination of Model S, X and 3. In addition, according to rumors, Tesla will introduce new Roadster in 2019

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

Off-hand, to the same place the other 14 odd million new cars go each year in the US: towards replacing the fraction of the fleet lost.

WAG: A car has ~ 3 owners through its life

6. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Also, the ramp up just means that they get to a point where they CAN produce 500,000 cars annually, not that they have to. If for some reason the demand scales back then they can limit production as needed.

Dan

7. proven

proven Member

From a anecdotal, non scientific perspective, I've talked to so many people who are interested in the Model 3 and they haven't put down a reservation (yet). Once the car is out there and people get to see it I think demand will only go up.

• Like x 1
  8. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

If Elon was really holding back something awesome about the Model 3 that won't be revealed until the second reveal then I can see demand going up even more.

At this point in our society I don't know if a more advanced autopilot is enough of a selling point to cause the increase in demand he's expecting. People would be too cautious to get terribly excited besides us geeky folk. I'm sure they'll have no trouble selling as many as possible for the foreseeable future.

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

To customers who pay for them.

• Like x 1
  10. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Increased range on single charge would be the biggest selling point.

Secondary to that, imo they need to sort out the kludgy protruding lcd screen.

• Like x 1
  11. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I'm worried about kicking it (the corners) by mistake...

12. deonb

deonb Active Member

Uhh...

You might want to have the ergonomics of your seating posture re-evaluated.

• Funny x 1
  13. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

Seems the likelihood of this would depend on the passenger's seating position. But yes I can see it getting kicked.

Here's wishful thinking and plot twist: the panel's base mount can accept a variety of display types and form factors.

14. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I have dogs, and the wife and I have hinted that at some points, our romantic evenings may be for more than just recreational purposes.....

I'm worried about the dogs and/or the result of our serious evenings kicking, pulling, or otherwise snagging themselves on that screen.

Of course, once it's shipped off to military school, I'll only have to worry about the dogs.

15. Zarwin

Zarwin Member

[​IMG]

16. proven

proven Member

The screen on the X prototype was also sticking out above the dash. I imagine the production version will be different.

17. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

That is how they do the Alpha cars. The X was the same way. That way they can change out components quickly. No doubt production 3 will be the same as production X and S.

18. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

*sigh*

Yet another item for the owners manual FAQ

[​IMG]

" Tesla does not recommend the Legs Akimbo driving position since this can interfere with your ability to take control of the vehicle from the Autopilot. In addition, you may accidentally kick the LCD screen with your other foot if the Autopilot brakes suddenly and manage to sound the horn using an unapproved method"

• Like x 1
  19. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Imagine the punch you'd get if the airbags deployed in that scenario......YIKES!!! :eek:

20. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

I would think they are doing something novel and don't want to give competition ideas at this point. However, at demo//launch they already stated it would be what goes into production. So how to reconcile unless that too is an option?