Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why can't there be wheels on the range extender? If it just rolls on and off of the bed and onto a concrete garage floor they wouldn't have to be very big. The whole thing could be clamped into place, possibly resting on the wheels or they could, possible retract. All part of the details but I don't see it being too much worse than handling a big piece of cargo.
With the Model S battery swap, they had to fit the battery between the wheels. This required a vertical lift which isn't very feasible for home use. The GM EV1 was originally designed to have its T-shaped battery slide in and out through the rear of the car in hope of avoiding the need for a hoist - that didn't work out though but the shape persisted and the later Volt had the same T-shaped battery.

The extra Specific Energy (aka Gravimetric Energy Density - Wh/kg) of batteries compared to gasoline or diesel ICE. One of the challenges to designing a vehicle is that as the Specific Energy decreases, the mass of carried energy increases, which increases the required structural mass to carry it which requires more energy to handle it. This spirals back on itself. At some point, there is a limit to the amount of energy one can carry which is proportional to the Specific Energy of the energy source. This is a huge problem with aircraft design but it applies to cars as well.
The original idea of the exoskeleton was to increase the load-bearing strength without increasing the structural mass to leave more mass for the batteries. Its a big reason that Tesla has made such aerodynamic vehicles - so they don't have to carry as much battery. Trucks hauling or towing can't cheat that way.
It isn't clear from anything I've seen whether the CT has actually overcome this limitation. There is indication that this limitation may have been reached at about 300 miles of range with the standard I-beam structure of body-on-frame.
Although the haters are patting themselves on the back, I don't think the last word has been spoken.
Do you seriously believe this garbage? Spouting off a bunch of theoretical and irrelevant (as it pertains to trucks) physics doesn’t make you sound smart. Think about this, A bare bones cummins diesel semi frame is ~800-1k lbs, a that is a truck that has a GVWR of 35k lbs.

For EVs the Silverado EV is rated to 450 miles with a body on frame.

For aerodynamics. the CT is less aerodynamic then the Rivian. And Tesla is not an innovator in aerodynamics, 2023 Tesla Model s has about the same aerodynamic drag as a 1951 Saab 92.

As for the movable 600+lb battery…. Tesla has already released that it is a permanent installation that will have to be done at a service center. I don’t know how many 600 lb bricks you have moved in and out of a truck bed in real life, yes it is possible but I’m betting much more complex (and expensive) then it is worth.

and another consideration, if the range extender is for towing. Think of this, range extender+spare tire+WD hitch will put you at at least 1k lbs. A 25-28’ bumper pull camper will be 8-10k loaded and will give you 1k-1500 lbs of hitch weight. Now you are approaching or exceeding The CT GVWR without accounting for passengers.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I was in the same boat. I needed it to be able to tow my camper reliably at least 200-250 miles at a stretch. Canceled my CT reservation and hoping the 450 mile Silverado will get me there.
iffy. You’ll likely need 600 mile range to reliably tow 250. EVs are not meant for heavy towing. If you’re towing route is remotely hilly add more range.
After sleeping on it last night I've come to realize Tesla threw the towing crowd under the bus. They must have figured it wasn't profitable enough to build the truck with all the batteries needed for towing, so they didn't. The range extender is just a half-baked attempt to make it seem like they care about towing.
It’s not just Tesla. It’s EVs in general. Look how much battery the Semi needs for 500 mile range.
So we basically got an X with a stainless body.

Wonder if I could mount a generator on a front hitch and get 500 miles of range. I really miss those wing doors in the bed for tools. Did the ramp disappear too? Looks like the ATV vaporized as well..
If you don’t mind stopping to charge. Tesla doesn’t allow you to drive while charging currently. They would need to change the software to allow this.

So we basically got an X with a stainless body.

Wonder if I could mount a generator on a front hitch and get 500 miles of range. I really miss those wing doors in the bed for tools. Did the ramp disappear too? Looks like the ATV vaporized as well..

A lot vaporized. Onboard air compressor, solar panel cover option, we got no info on the UI but I imagine all the cool stuff Elon touted isn't there, they didn't confirm dynamic height adjustment (i.e. if you're loading in the bed, the rear height will drop), 6 seater is gone it seems, the laser blade lights on top were supposed to come standard, is the glass resistant to all of the 1kg steel balls thrown my way daily?

This from the company that says they want their production cars to be better than the show car. Embarrassing.

Do you seriously believe this garbage? Spouting off a bunch of theoretical and irrelevant (as it pertains to trucks) physics doesn’t make you sound smart. Think about this, A bare bones cummins diesel semi frame is ~800-1k lbs, a that is a truck that has a GVWR of 35k lbs.

For EVs the Silverado EV is rated to 450 miles with a body on frame.

For aerodynamics. the CT is less aerodynamic then the Rivian. And Tesla is not an innovator in aerodynamics, 2023 Tesla Model s has about the same aerodynamic drag as a 1951 Saab 92.

As for the movable 600+lb battery…. Tesla has already released that it is a permanent installation that will have to be done at a service center. I don’t know how many 600 lb bricks you have moved in and out of a truck bed in real life, yes it is possible but I’m betting much more complex (and expensive) then it is worth.

and another consideration, if the range extender is for towing. Think of this, range extender+spare tire+WD hitch will put you at at least 1k lbs. A 25-28’ bumper pull camper will be 8-10k loaded and will give you 1k-1500 lbs of hitch weight. Now you are approaching or exceeding The CT GVWR without accounting for passengers.
Finally; facts, logic and reason!

More on this, for those few that may be interested…

Reactions: jsmay311 and jebinc
My re re refreshed Model S Plaid is really a “Polished turd”. After 2.5 years of ownership, it still vibrates like a MoFo. Tesla now claims it’s normal as they all do it! Seriously, that was the final answer in writing!
but which refresh do you have? because if all of the refreshes are refreshes then another refresh comes out then which one is the ****ing refresh ?!?!?!??!?!?! IT MAKES NO ****ING SENSE OMFG