Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• 1701532730024.gif
    1701532730024.gif
    2 MB · Views: 42
I won’t execute my order till tesla offers the 500 mile battery.
I think towing with the 300 mile battery will “damage” the battery due to the every large sustained load. So life won’t be great. Then tesla will start denying claims because people didn’t buy the range extender.
Do you tow 10,000 lbs daily? This is like suggesting Tesla will deny warranty claims for people who drive at 80mph every day vs those who only drive at 40mph. If they would deny claims for towing, they wouldn’t support towing. And they would limit the rate of discharge to protect the battery that way.

As far as executing your order, you should ask for a refund now. You won’t be able to hold until the 500 mile version comes out. When your place comes up, you will have to convert or cancel.

As far as a version with 500 mile primary battery, it would need to have 60-70% more capacity than the current one due to the increased weight so it won’t be just 50% more than the current one. There isn’t physical space for that much battery under the bed without making the truck taller/wider/longer. Thus the only way they can get this without a completely redesigned truck is with a 50% increase in energy density with the current cell format and even the most optimistic 4680 predictions will only unlock maybe 20% more. That means 340 becomes 408.

Reactions: jebinc
Battery chemistry just isn’t there yet for heavy duty / long distance towing in a pickup form factor, and probably isn’t gonna be for another decade at least.

I’m really liking the Ram Charger approach. Big enough battery to cover all light duty / around town trips purely electric. Gas v6 generator to enable long range and towing capability. That’s as good as it’s gonna get for the foreseeable future.

Battery chemistry just isn’t there yet for heavy duty / long distance towing in a pickup form factor, and probably isn’t gonna be for another decade at least.

I’m really liking the Ram Charger approach. Big enough battery to cover all light duty / around town trips purely electric. Gas v6 generator to enable long range and towing capability. That’s as good as it’s gonna get for the foreseeable future.

Yeah, I agree for towing that is a sound concept.

Unfortunately it's a RAM/Stellantis product which means it will spend half its life broken down.

Reactions: Yelobird and jebinc
I'm surprised no one has tried a thin, long square (or octagonal) cell design yet.
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but this is a prismatic cell which is in use in many applications. I don’t follow what passcar does enough to know if they are used in cars in North America or Europe but I know cars in Asia use them. This cell structure is common in the LFP chemistry which is more common in heavy duty trucks which I know have been using it for a long time.

BYD also has the blade cell which is a much thinner and longer cell form factor which has a lot of advantages over the current prismatic cell factor. The blades have isolated connections on each end and much more surface area available for cooling.

This isn’t my area of expertise and the LFP is moving into the passcar sector so maybe there are a lot more prismatic cells in use. Someone can point out if I am wrong! The key point I wanted to make is there are a lot of options that are not cylindrical cells.

Reactions: jebinc
Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but this is a prismatic cell which is in use in many applications. I don’t follow what passcar does enough to know if they are used in cars in North America or Europe but I know cars in Asia use them. This cell structure is common in the LFP chemistry which is more common in heavy duty trucks which I know have been using it for a long time.

BYD also has the blade cell which is a much thinner and longer cell form factor which has a lot of advantages over the current prismatic cell factor. The blades have isolated connections on each end and much more surface area available for cooling.

This isn’t my area of expertise and the LFP is moving into the passcar sector so maybe there are a lot more prismatic cells in use. Someone can point out if I am wrong! The key point I wanted to make is there are a lot of options that are not cylindrical cells.
Was a serious question. Seems like that form factor would be optimal; more so than the 4680. But, this is not my area of expertise.

And? They have always offered a loyalty type discount. Why would this be such a holly cow unreal statement. lol. Seems like you are hunting for something to complain about.
No need to "hunt;" it's just all there - clear as day. 👍

Tell me (and others here) that you think the launch day event/Product details released was/were Stellar, and that you are not disappointed at all. Please....

No need to "hunt;" it's just all there - clear as day. 👍

Tell me (and other's here) that you think the launch day event/Product details released was Stellar and that you are not disappointed at all. Please....
Absolutely loved it and they will sell a ton. Maybe not to you but that’s your choice granted you will continue to pound on anyone with a different opinion.

Absolutely loved it and they will sell a ton. Maybe not to you but that’s your choice granted you will continue to pound on anyone with a different opinion.
We agree, they will sell a ton the first couple of years. But, like the X, and to some extent the S, after the initial "loyalists" orders are filled, demand would drop, followed by prices.

Me? Oh, I was a "loyalist," once - stayed up on that faithful November 2019 evening and was one of the earliest pre-orders. Burnt twice by Tesla and decided shame on me," if I let them do it a third time. I canceled that "day zero registration," one that many would kill to have, on Thursday (Day of that stellar Elon performance) and partial release of specs.

Man, why did Elon always call it a car and call the vault a "trunk" so many times during that "shorter than the wait was" presentation? Stoned, perhaps?

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
We agree, they will sell a ton the first couple of years. But, like the X, and to some extent the S, after the initial "loyalists" orders are filled, demand would drop, followed by prices.

Me? Oh, I was a "loyalist," once - stayed up on that faithful November 2019 evening and was one of the earliest pre-orders. Burnt twice by Tesla and decided shame on me," if I let them do it a third time. I canceled that "day zero registration," one that many would kill to have, on Thursday (Day of that stellar Elon performance) and partial release of specs.

Man, why did Elon always call it a car and call the vault a "trunk" so many times during that "shorter than the wait was" presentation? Stoned, perhaps?
Sell “a ton” is also a moving goal post. Goldman Sachs is estimating 50k in 2024 which is just shy of what Rivian will sell this year. Hardly a “ton”.

Sell “a ton” is also a moving goal post. Goldman Sachs is estimating 50k in 2024 which is just shy of what Rivian will sell this year. Hardly a “ton”.
Come on, I was trying to be a little positive about last week's, "roll out"... 🤣

Edit: P.S. Don't underestimate the blind that live on Elon's every breath - It's quite a large following, I hear/see....

Sorry in a way you had a bad experience given millions have had a great experience. Everyone has different expectation, sounds like yours weren’t met. Good for you on canceling that sounds like the right move for you. Doesn’t however mean that others need to share/agree with your anger or views. With such distaste for this company and owner seems rather Odd you spend so much time prowling this forum. betting the Rivian forum would bring you more satisfaction granted Not suggesting you leave just an observation for you to find something positive to share.

Sorry in a way you had a bad experience given millions have had a great experience. Everyone has different expectation, sounds like yours weren’t met. Good for you on canceling that sounds like the right move for you. Doesn’t however mean that others need to share/agree with your anger or views. With such distaste for this company and owner seems rather Odd you spend so much time prowling this forum. betting the Rivian forum would bring you more satisfaction granted Not suggesting you leave just an observation for you to find something positive to share.
I was positive here for many years, as evidenced by my high post and reaction counts…

Lots of praise posts for my 3 and Y.

Hard to not feel taken on my Plaid and this Cybertruck scam Elon is running. Take care.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird