Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 hours and counting for door handle ranger repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
The newest St.Louis Service Tech was sent down right away this morning to replace all 4 of my 1st gen door handles with the new 2nd gen version after my recent door opening spontaneously while in motion issue. He started work around 1:30 pm central, it is now 7:45 pm and he's been on the line with California for the past hour trouble shooting the firmware reinstall won't take properly. I feel for the guy, this is his first week on the road alone. Won't take a sandwich, hasn't been in to pee, and I can see his frustration.

On my side, I'm missing my daughter's volleyball game due to the prolonged "3-hour repair."

My dad's got the same repair scheduled in KC this week..

He finally got back on the road for the 3 1/2 hour drive back to St.Louis after 7 hours and 15 minutes at my house. 14-15 hour day for him to fix one car. From the customer side, gotta love the ranger service. From the business side, however, it's hard to see how that's sustainable.

He finally got back on the road for the 3 1/2 hour drive back to St.Louis after 7 hours and 15 minutes at my house. 14-15 hour day for him to fix one car. From the customer side, gotta love the ranger service. From the business side, however, it's hard to see how that's sustainable.

It won't be with Gen 3 that's for sure (and probably even X--or there will be more a 'deductible').

Are they fixed?

The newest St.Louis Service Tech was sent down right away this morning to replace all 4 of my 1st gen door handles with the new 2nd gen version after my recent door opening spontaneously while in motion issue. He started work around 1:30 pm central, it is now 7:45 pm and he's been on the line with California for the past hour trouble shooting the firmware reinstall won't take properly. I feel for the guy, this is his first week on the road alone. Won't take a sandwich, hasn't been in to pee, and I can see his frustration.

On my side, I'm missing my daughter's volleyball game due to the prolonged "3-hour repair."

Alright, this post is the final straw. How is this not a major safety issue that warrants immediate recall and repair of all affected VINs as a preventative measure? You know, like every other manufacturer does?

The door handles aren't one off issues. Neither are 21 inch tires wearing down and blowing out < 10k miles. Neither are the child jump seats with handles that kids can pull and eject themselves out.

But maybe I'm going off a little half-cocked w/ my frustration. You said the doors opened while in motion? Can you describe what actually happened, maybe make me feel a little better. Having a day-nightmare about door opening while a kid is laying on it sleeping and they fall out of the car. That's what being a parent will do to you.

But maybe I'm going off a little half-cocked w/ my frustration. You said the doors opened while in motion? Can you describe what actually happened, maybe make me feel a little better. Having a day-nightmare about door opening while a kid is laying on it sleeping and they fall out of the car. That's what being a parent will do to you.
Well, I'm not sure i see it as a "major" safety issue..IF everyone inside the car is properly restrained, but it is disturbing and in a different situation could have caused damage to my and/or someone else's car.

First incident: Had just backed out of a parking spot and started pulling forward when the door swung open. There was no "door ajar" beep when I backed up or anything to suggest that the door had opened prior to my moving the car. Grabbed it, pulled it closed and moved on. Had it swung wider with a passing person or car it could have hit it.

Second incident: Was pulling forward after letting my wife out of the car (front passenger seat) when the same door (driver's side rear) popped unlocked and opened slightly. My son sitting by the door pulled it closed.

Associated issue: The night of the second incident I went out to put something in the back seat. The handles extended but the affected door handle light did not come on and I could not open the door from the outside by pulling on the handle. I was able to open the door by reaching in through the front door and using the inside release. It worked fine until replaced today.

Now, I do think Tesla should replace these handles. There's clearly something faulty and if someone does have a kid fall out or something it would be a huge problem.

Alright, this post is the final straw. How is this not a major safety issue that warrants immediate recall and repair of all affected VINs as a preventative measure? You know, like every other manufacturer does?

The door handles aren't one off issues. Neither are 21 inch tires wearing down and blowing out < 10k miles. Neither are the child jump seats with handles that kids can pull and eject themselves out.

Easy tiger.

"Major safety issue"--not even close.

__

Ok now reading what was going on--I'm definitely glad they fixed it, and yes I can now see how that could be a bad thing happening for sure!

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure i see it as a "major" safety issue..IF everyone inside the car is properly restrained, but it is disturbing and in a different situation could have caused damage to my and/or someone else's car.

First incident: Had just backed out of a parking spot and started pulling forward when the door swung open. There was no "door ajar" beep when I backed up or anything to suggest that the door had opened prior to my moving the car. Grabbed it, pulled it closed and moved on. Had it swung wider with a passing person or car it could have hit it.

Second incident: Was pulling forward after letting my wife out of the car (front passenger seat) when the same door (driver's side rear) popped unlocked and opened slightly. My son sitting by the door pulled it closed.

Associated issue: The night of the second incident I went out to put something in the back seat. The handles extended but the affected door handle light did not come on and I could not open the door from the outside by pulling on the handle. I was able to open the door by reaching in through the front door and using the inside release. It worked fine until replaced today.

Now, I do think Tesla should replace these handles. There's clearly something faulty and if someone does have a kid fall out or something it would be a huge problem.

Thanks for the detail. It's nice to read that this didn't happen while traveling at high speed.

And, I agree that everyone should be restrained properly at all times. I'm the kind of guy that buckles up in a taxi cab.

Haven’t followed this issue, but if there are defective doors that could swing open (and as I understand it there are), then I think Tesla should address this as soon as possible. If they don’t, then they increase the risk of an accident occurring. And such an accident would likely be a major PR debacle. Or? (Not to mention if someone were to get injured...)

…/Having a day-nightmare about door opening while a kid is laying on it sleeping and they fall out of the car. That's what being a parent will do to you.
[Here this post originally contained two paragraphs that were based on a misreading and/or misunderstanding of the above quote… (Post #23 below contains more context if anyone’s interested.)]

…/ Neither are the child jump seats with handles that kids can pull and eject themselves out. /…
Is this an issue? Haven’t seen anything about this. How would they be able to “eject” themselves out of the seats?

Yes - if the door opens at high speed it can be dangerous - to another vehicle coming next to you.
And possibly dangerous to any passenger/driver sitting by that door. Or?

Last edited:
Also: Anyone know at what VIN in production they switched and started installing the new redesigned handles? As I understand it there haven’t been any reported incidents involving these. Or?
…the “Similar Threads” feature below really is a handy little aspect.

It seems the new door handle design are on all cars from at least VIN 8521.

Source: New door handle design (Post #10)

Last edited: