Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 mph; excellent road markings and AP2 tried to throw the car at the median

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 17.26.76 update in July was the inflection point as far as I can tell. That's when it changed from for every one "my car is homicidal" post there were ten replies telling them to go to the SC to ten replies of "my car is also homicidal."

This was also the "silky smooth" update with the new control algorithm. I suspect that this was Lattner's work and that 17.17.4 was essentially the same algorithm as used in all preceding AP2 releases since Dec 16 and done by Anderson. I think the control algorithm may be fine, but the image processing is bad because it identifies too many things as lane lines. For instance, there are many times the IC shows tar lines as lane lines. It didn't do that nearly as often before.

The 17.26.76 update in July was the inflection point as far as I can tell. That's when it changed from for every one "my car is homicidal" post there were ten replies telling them to go to the SC to ten replies of "my car is also homicidal."

This was also the "silky smooth" update with the new control algorithm. I suspect that this was Lattner's work and that 17.17.4 was essentially the same algorithm as used in all preceding AP2 releases since Dec 16 and done by Anderson. I think the control algorithm may be fine, but the image processing is bad because it identifies too many things as lane lines. For instance, there are many times the IC shows tar lines as lane lines. It didn't do that nearly as often before.
YES! I have several newly recoated and/or repainted roads (hey its the Summer road fix season) that do exactly what you describe, showing tar lines as lane lines. No good!

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno and croman
I had a seemingly random brake episode this morning with TACC (same as AP but without lane followng, right?). I had a semi to my left slightly in front and it was like it 'suddenly' saw it to my left and ahead and kind of panicked briefly. The car in front of me was well ahead and the car was getting ready to start speeding up again to catch up.

Another weird one for me today too, not a car in sight, straight road, suddenly the car AEB (I assume) panics then clears itself again.
The only thing I can attribute it to is there was a metal sign for roadworks stuck in the median that had not been there previously so I guess the radar saw that and had a bit of a brain fart.

Starting to consider my P100D more as a temperamental thoroughbred horse, goes like hell and just about as highly strung.
Still love it though.

Can I ask what mileage people have on their cars that have random braking or swerving episodes? I know that when I first bought my car back in June '17, I had a very rough start with the AP system with my car under 3,000 miles. I think I had a random slow down, hard braking, or even a swerve at least once or twice a week. Now at 5.600 miles I have yet to have an incident that leaves me both anxious and angry for a good month at this point.

I have 16k miles now. My incident happened at about 5-6k miles. I've had a couple blips but nothing life threatening since then (a couple red hands insta-shut downs) and some erratic behavior. Mostly my issues are with other drivers who lane change without checking their blind spot and the Tesla sits there despite getting ultrasonic data that indicates an imminent collision, etc.

As a teenager, I had a horse that shied at inanimate objects without a moment's notice. With Tesla and AP2, it's like old home week. The other day we're following a truck in the right lane when the car has "a sighting" and slams on the brakes just as the car behind me accelerates to move into the left lane. He came within a couple inches of rear ending our car... through no fault of his. It was a good reminder not to use AP2 or TACC when there is congestion both in front of and behind you. It's that dangerous!

Last edited:
Reactions: dknisely
Yep, I'd say there are two different aspects of AP2 - ignoring the EAP story and development delays for a moment:

1) It has always had more ghost brakings than AP1 (which also, after the Brown incident has also gotten some). I've had one severe one that certainly could have led to a crash had someone been behind me, this was months ago now, as well as dozens of small ones. It basically ghost brakes every day I use TACC. Safe to say, this has not happened in any other car I've driven (they had maybe one ghost braking in a year or two) - and I've driven many adaptive cruises since 2006. I'm very wary before every underpass nowadays, if I use it.

2) In the recent versions at least, it has started to swerve dangerously, following tar-lines, wondering onto other lanes, etc. so something has gone terribly wrong with the auto steering as well. I've had the tar-line incident (started to steer into a concrete block until I blocked it) and the following a lead car onto another lane incident personally.

Combine these two and, yeah, it is not exactly inviting to use. Mostly I've just stopped using AP2 for anything but testing, when I'm alone in the car and can be extra vigilant.

at 10K miles on AP2 the rule I've learned is drive with your hands firmly gripped while AP the first several times down a particular stretch of road. Now on my daily commute I can reliably predict where problems might occur and it is much more comforting to use AP2 (plus perhaps it has some type of learned behavior - though it keeps making mistakes in the reliably predictable spots I've growned accustomed to on my commute) Definitely not what I thought we were getting with FSD.

Reactions: boonedocks
at 10K miles on AP2 the rule I've learned is drive with your hands firmly gripped while AP the first several times down a particular stretch of road. Now on my daily commute I can reliably predict where problems might occur and it is much more comforting to use AP2 (plus perhaps it has some type of learned behavior - though it keeps making mistakes in the reliably predictable spots I've growned accustomed to on my commute) Definitely not what I thought we were getting with FSD.

Oh come on, that's not fair. They said it depends on regulatory approval...

Once Tesla gets the regulatory approval to change those roads where AP2 doesn't work, everything will be fine.

100% agree. AP1 felt safe enough to use with my family in the car and even occasional hands free. AP2 is marginally safe for me solo and I still grip the wheel and have to watch the road more thabj if I were driving. Limited to TACC on some stretches of my commute because of known behavior, not good behavior at all.

Ok. I don't think anyone has ever said that no-one has a good experience with EAP. But if you read much, you'll see that a lot of people have concerning experiences. I hope you don't put too much trust in yours. Honestly. I don't want to read that someone has been killed with it on.

I have the 2.0 car when it first came out. From no TACC or AP to nowadays. I have experienced all of the scary versions of the autopilot. I know exactly when to take back control from the car through every single horrible version of the software. All on the same curvy and narrow Northern State Parkway and on the always traffic jammed Long Island Express way. As of right now, the current AP passed all of the tricky sections here.

As an update, I did a 300 mile trip this past weekend on 2017.34 and it was ok. All interstate. There was a bridge over a creek that was a different color concrete with poor lane markings. When the car got there, it did its "I don't know where to go!! Turn!!!" thing. It caught me by surprise because it came out of nowhere. I had my hands on the wheel though and was able to quickly wrest control back and not die. That was the first long trip after 2017.28, though, and it was at least somewhat improved.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno