Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 vs 75 options changed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if all these options are upgradeable in the future. For example, a 60 can become a 70; 75 to 85; 90 to 100? These battery sizes have all been done at one time or another except for the elusive 100. We want to upgrade so we can have AP and are hoping for AP2 to come out by the end of the year. Can't wait to see if other options become available. I'm still waiting for those fake leather seats in the X to be an option in the S.

Thanks for that info. I have an appointment at the showroom on Monday and I was most likely going to place my order for a MS 60 then. But I do need to see something in writing from Tesla when I place the order because I would not be ordering a 60 if it was not easily upgradable to a 75 in the future. An non upgradeable MS 60 is simply resurrecting a model from the past, and not something I would be interested in. I will post what I find out on Monday.
Thank you. Same here. I already ordered 6/24th and have another test drive anyway :) Tuesday 6/28th. I plan on asking the same information, I just hope their answer is a confident -- yes

I'm pretty confident it's the same 75 battery software limited to 60, simply because if it wasn't, and it was the older 60 battery, 0-60 times wouldn't still be listed at 5.2, but rather 5.8 as I believe the old 60s were, if I remember correctly. Nevertheless, I'm also phoning the store tomorrow to make sure, as I was just assigned my VIN.

The 60 will continue to have 75 pre-installed
I was just at the Tesla dealer here in Zürich and he told me that the 60 model will continue to have a 75 battery. He was prepared to give it to me in writing. He also said that they only manufacture the 90 and the 75 battery pack at this moment. Another tidbit of information was that they use the same chemistry in the 90 as in the 75: hence the 75 pack is significantly lighter. (A while back the 85 had a lower rated cell architecture as compared to the 90-using the same form factor.)

For those of you guys that are getting the upgrade in writing, are you also getting the price of the upgrade in writing as well?

I'm sure that the 75kw battery will be preinstalled, but will the upgrade still be $8000 USD? What if they decide to raise the price later?

I ordered my MS 60 today at the local showroom. I was glad to see what previous posters said about their contact with Tesla and that the MS 60 would continue to have a 75 kWh battery. My local Owner Advisor said the same thing, but she also sent me an email confirming this at my request. Her email also said that the upgrade cost is $8500, which is the difference in base cost between the MS 60 and MS 75. Maybe the 15 kWh upgrade cost in the future will decrease, but for now it shouldn't be more than $8500!

• Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
Congratulations and welcome to the loooooooooooooong wait until the S comes in. I ordered 3 days ago and already losing sleep :) I figure after driving the car a year or so I will have a good indcation whether or not the 75 upgrade will be worth it.

Congratulations and welcome to the loooooooooooooong wait until the S comes in. I ordered 3 days ago and already losing sleep :) I figure after driving the car a year or so I will have a good indcation whether or not the 75 upgrade will be worth it.

Thanks! I have been researching this car for quite some time like a lot of folks on this forum. I also had a Model 3 deposit that will now be going towards the MS.

For those of you guys that are getting the upgrade in writing, are you also getting the price of the upgrade in writing as well?

I'm sure that the 75kw battery will be preinstalled, but will the upgrade still be $8000 USD? What if they decide to raise the price later?
Locking the price in a written contract could backfire. I think the chance of a price DECREASE in the future is a lot more likely than a price increase, given the continuing drop of battery cost / kwh.

Reactions: Chopr147
Didn't really "lock" the price, per say. Just got a simple written email from their sales rep stating the car will be delivered with the 75 kWh battery software locked to 60 and that I'd be guaranteed the same upgrade price, with the company's letterhead and all. More of a one-sided advantage to the consumer if anything. If it comes down in price, one can simply forgo the pseudo lock and buy the new reduced price option.

What about lease the 60 now (ignore that it is a 75 kWh battery). Then put in a reservation for Model 3 - owners and lessees get to jump the line over non-owners. Then you can buy a Model 3 or expected lower-priced Model S in 3 years with similar roughly 50 kWh battery. Not everyone needs to use 60 kWh on a typical day. And MS 60 gets to use the Superchargers for free. I think those ideas are the point of the lower-priced Model S 60 choices today. Then when you turn in the lease, it is possible to resell as a 75 kWh CPO. Leasing also makes sure you are always covered by warranty and the bank holds the financial risks of ownership.

Thought about the lease but............1)You don't get full advantage of tax credit.
2) I don't like giving away that much money for a rental
3)Can't make owner "adjustments" Like accessories, wheels, etc....
4) Would have do do it all over again in 3 years (sometimes that's an advantage)
5) I wonder if Model S supercharging will always be free despite Elon's guarantee
6) The model S will always be an upgrade from a model 3 (Sort of like a BMW 3 vs. 7 series
But, that's just my opinion :)
In my circumstances I did not cancel Model 3 reservation because I may still get it in place of my wife's Lexus when her lease expires which is not until 2019. Though I may delay the 3 until then, so jumping the line really won't help me.

I'm not sure exactly how the tax credit works on the lease. My understanding is the leasing company gets the credit, whether the full credit gets passed down to the consumer or not I guess others here can attest to.
My personal opinion but I will pay over $30,000 in 3 years just to give the car back. I'm way too cheap to do that :)

Thought about the lease but............1)You don't get full advantage of tax credit.
2) I don't like giving away that much money for a rental
3)Can't make owner "adjustments" Like accessories, wheels, etc....
1) On Tesla leases, the full $7,500 tax credit is applied to the residual which gives the car a higher LEV and therefore a lower monthly payment than without the credit. The 'negative' is that it basically takes any potential desire to buy the car at lease end off the table due to the inflated LEV. The buyout number just wouldn’t be worth it.

2) A 36 month lease would have a much lower monthly payment than a 36 month buy (assuming similar initial out of pocket) which means you can 'save' a lot over the term of the lease compared to financing. It may or may not be as much as the car would be worth once paying it off after 36 months but you're not 'giving away' as much as you may think.

3) True, unless you decide to buy car at lease end (not likely given the 'negative' from #1 above) or can bring the car back to original condition i.e. swap back original wheels, remove accessories, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
My local Owner Advisor said the same thing, but she also sent me an email confirming this at my request. Her email also said that the upgrade cost is $8500, which is the difference in base cost between the MS 60 and MS 75. Maybe the 15 kWh upgrade cost in the future will decrease, but for now it shouldn't be more than $8500!

Hey Frankman... do you have the service center that wrote this up for you? My DS wasn't sure what the policy was, and was going to call other centers to see how to handle. Asked me for any references that he could reach out to. Thanks!