Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D/75D owners, do you regret not getting 90D for hp and torque?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is subjective. Some people are impressed others aren't. It also really depends IMO on what cars you've driven/experienced before. Everyone thought the P85D at the time was amazing and such but I was only semi impressed. Coming from driving cars similar in time and acceleration really makes the difference.

I've been driving a RRS SCV8 and the 90D was similar in feel so we went with that. the 60D/75D is similar to the 2014 Q7 we had, no bueno and not for us. I've had people think my CLS550 was insanely fast but it's also because they drove Hondas.

Totally agree with what you've driven before could make a huge experience. I'm coming from fast cars with 500+hp and afraid of 60D which I ordered will only make me satisfied for couple months. I'm pretty sure 60D is good for a daily driver but I cannot stand my car doesn't give me the extra oomph when I push down the pedal.

We started our order with a 70 and stepped up to the 90 to speed up our delivery interval. We weren't sure at first if the additional expense for the upgraded battery was worth it but now after 4 weeks of using the car, I don't regret it for a moment. As I don't have a 75 to do a direct comparison, I have put my 90 in valet mode. My understanding is in valet mode, the X adjusts from the performance given in a 90 and adjusts down to the specs of a 80 or 75. The change in speed is quite noticeable. Having the additional battery headroom is also very good convenience to have especially if you are planning longer trips.

Nope. Valet mode limits you to 80 kW and 70 mph, way below what a 75D is capable of.

An in-depth look at Tesla's new Valet Mode for the Model S

I'd also agree. We ordered the 70D, got the 75D (free upgrade) and are extremely happy with our decision. Going from a Honda CRV to this feels like we are already using Ludicrous mode!
As usual with tesla.. it seems there are two worlds:

On one side there are people who come from cars that cost half as much, on the other side people who come from cars who cost about the same. The latter category is not impressed with an $80k base car that does 0 to 60 in 6 sec.

Reactions: Ormond
Correctomundo!

Did you get yours yet, Jason?
Thanks for asking. Bad news is I am waiting on a door part with estimates of estimates missing each day (seems we've heard that tune before). Good news is I can see my new baby sitting quietly inside the enclosed service bay and not baking in our 100 degree sun. And I am not too put off driving the almost new loaner P90DL Model S, this thing is quite nice and no door problems :).

Reactions: Stasla
The battery difference between 60D/75D and 90D is not making me change the order but the additional hp and torque are. Can you really feel a huge difference in torque? If you could do it again, will you purchase 90D instead?

I just returned from my 2nd 1,000 mile road trip in my "lowly" RWD 70 and I can't imagine needing any more torque than it delivers.

Driving two-lane mountain roads at 7,000+ feet, I was able to jet around slower (60mph) vehicles - even 18-wheelers - whenever a minimal amount of open straightaway presented the opportunity. One time I passed three 18-wheelers and an SUV in one quick burst from 65mph, only to find out, upon pulling back into the right lane ahead of the lead truck, that I was doing 99mph!

Incidentally, since those winding roads kept me mostly at 60 to 65 mph and slower through the little towns, I was able to drive 226 miles on a full charge from North Lake Tahoe to the Manteca SpC with 47 rated miles remaining upon arrival.

Background: have owned SP85, XP90D, X75D... Each for at least 2000 miles.
The XP85D felt a little slower than the SP85 probably because you sit higher in the X.

The X75D, while obviously slower than the others, is still very quick 0-20. It did feel a little sluggish at about 30mph one day while entering a freeway (in comparison to my SP85).
I don't regret that we now have the X75D ... Still prefer driving that to the SP85... I don't frequently floor the accelerator for fun these days, so others may be different.

Totally agree with what you've driven before could make a huge experience. I'm coming from fast cars with 500+hp and afraid of 60D which I ordered will only make me satisfied for couple months. I'm pretty sure 60D is good for a daily driver but I cannot stand my car doesn't give me the extra oomph when I push down the pedal.

Are you a GTR owner too? 8)