Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60D vs 90D - Worth $18,000 difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because batteries degrade over time, the larger battery will last longer before it has too little range to be effective. If you are out of Supercharger range, every bit helps, and a larger battery also lets you skip SCs. In addition, when it's very cold or there is wind the range goes down so the larger battery lets you make the trip.

Maybe after 400,000 miles this might be an issue. I've lost less than 5% over 70,000 miles and I haven't lost a single mile in the last year. Degradation is a straw man.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Maybe after 400,000 miles this might be an issue. I've lost less than 5% over 70,000 miles and I haven't lost a single mile in the last year. Degradation is a straw man.
I've lost ~3% over 70K miles on my S85. A smaller battery does get stressed more doing the same driving. It will still be small because of Tesla's battery management, but it's not zero, so I would call it a straw man, just another factor to consider.

I've lost ~3% over 70K miles on my S85. A smaller battery does get stressed more doing the same driving. It will still be small because of Tesla's battery management, but it's not zero, so I would call it a straw man, just another factor to consider.

If we list every factor without providing context, then we leave a potential new owner with a distorted picture.

Can you quantify the degradation delta?

A more accurate statement would have been: "Battery degradation changes are de minimis compared to 76 miles of ranges difference between 60D and 90D."

That was supposed to be "wouldn't call it a straw man".

which car would that be? I've never had that happen in either of my teslas

There are entire threads on this. Basically the car does limit power when the state of charge gets fairly low, or if the battery is cold. The power meter will show you when this is taking place.

As to how it relates to the topic at hand it simply does not. It doesn't matter if you have a 60, 70, 75, 85 or 90. At some point you'll experience the power being limited. In terms of low battery it's just there to protect it, and that fact that it likely can't get enough energy from the battery anyways.

By the time it happens it doesn't matter because you're likely desperately trying to reach the charger always.

There are entire threads on this. Basically the car does limit power when the state of charge gets fairly low, or if the battery is cold. The power meter will show you when this is taking place.

As to how it relates to the topic at hand it simply does not. It doesn't matter if you have a 60, 70, 75, 85 or 90. At some point you'll experience the power being limited. In terms of low battery it's just there to protect it, and that fact that it likely can't get enough energy from the battery anyways.

By the time it happens it doesn't matter because you're likely desperately trying to reach the charger always.
pure nonsense, while the car will limit power initially when it is very cold I have never had it limit power because the SOC was low, and I've had the SOC as low as it could go once and under 5% many other times without any sort of power limitations.

Yet another datapoint for you. I have an original 2013 60 with 53k miles. Given that it is out of warranty and new tech like AP is out I started to look at upgraded. At first I wanted to go all out with the 90D, then dialed that back to a 75D, then a 70S. In the end, I pulled the trigger on a 60S again. :)

I've driven the 60 around the Northwest and more recently all over the Southwest. Range has never been an issue for the trips I take, but it did increase charging time.

I came back to the set of decisions I made the first time when deciding between the 60 and 85. Ultimately the larger battery will only benefit me a few times per year, which amounts to a few hours per year. If a road trip really isn't feasible, I still have a gas car, but the 60 covered 99% of my cases. For me, the extra $$ wasn't worth it, but I love the ability to upgrade the 60 range later.

Somewhat amusing is that my new 60 config was cheaper than the original. I ditched the rear facing seats, stereo upgrade and air suspension in favor of autopilot. I must be getting old.. the only thing that wowed me was AP. :)

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: GSP and callmesam
I have never had it limit power because the SOC was low, and I've had the SOC as low as it could go once and under 5% many other times without any sort of power limitations.

Our 2013 Tesla S 85 absolutely lowers the dotted yellow line on the power meter when below 10% state of charge under full throttle, and this is also felt on my butt-dyno, the car just accelerates slower. This is well documented in cold condtions as well.

Reactions: callmesam
Our 2013 Tesla S 85 absolutely lowers the dotted yellow line on the power meter when below 10% state of charge under full throttle, and this is also felt on my butt-dyno, the car just accelerates slower. This is well documented in cold condtions as well.
I've never seen that, then again I never go full throttle, especially when on a trip and trying to arrive at the next SpC with a low SOC

I'd get the biggest battery I could afford. You never know when the urge to jump in the car a take a long trip might come. This is a marvelous car & once you have it for a while you'll be looking for excuses to go places, especially if you have the time. If I had to save some $$$s, l'd forgo the Auto pilot. It's really of such limited use right now and will be for the foreseeable future. I realize that what I just wrote is heresy to some, but be honest, how often have you taken your hands off the wheel for more than a few seconds and actually relaxed while doing 60 or 70+ mph? Great for a demo, but in real life . . .

I've never seen that, then again I never go full throttle, especially when on a trip and trying to arrive at the next SpC with a low SOC
There's a video out there of an owner who didn't quite have enough range to make it home. The power restriction keeps reducing until you can't move up a hill. It does take a while to get that low. It's all in his video.
Since I have a "classic", I still have the round gauge in the center. The yellow dotted line appears if I get somewhere near 25 miles left, which is probably about 10%. It's not usually noticeable during normal driving, but it is a visual reminder that I'd better have a plan. I don't know what that looks like on an AP display.

It is quite rare I get that low, I can't remember the last time. That being said, a software limited 60 really is probably plenty for most use cases.

I would think about Charlotte. If you go west you'll burn lots of joules climbing, although there is a Supercharger in Asheville. Climbing from SC/GA mountains also presents some challenges especially in winter and in rain. I would choose the 90D if the price is not a huge inhibitor but the 75D otherwise. The AWD does better range.

That said I have a friend in the Northeast who regularly drives his 60 to Florida. No question, it can be done. It's really a question of how much planning you're willing to make.

I'd get the biggest battery I could afford. You never know when the urge to jump in the car a take a long trip might come. This is a marvelous car & once you have it for a while you'll be looking for excuses to go places, especially if you have the time. If I had to save some $$$s, l'd forgo the Auto pilot. It's really of such limited use right now and will be for the foreseeable future. I realize that what I just wrote is heresy to some, but be honest, how often have you taken your hands off the wheel for more than a few seconds and actually relaxed while doing 60 or 70+ mph? Great for a demo, but in real life . . .
I agree with getting the biggest battery affordable. It the same philosophy with memory on a mobile device, IMO. However, I think you are off on Autopilot. Autosteer is limited but TACC alone is more than worth the extra $2500.

Great thread, thanks guys.

@ K Diesel...what about leasing a 90 instead of buying? Best of both worlds?

Question for my edification.....I have a 70, with a 240 range. If I understand correctly, the batteries are really 75's with a range of 259 miles. Does that mean I can charge to 236 miles each time (259 * .90)?

I am charging my 75D to 90% and it says 234 miles range when charged.

Attachments

• IMG_9959.PNG
    IMG_9959.PNG
    266 KB · Views: 114