Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6th Annual Sound of Silence Rally - Custer SD - May 17-19

Bighorn

Top Supercharger
Jun 19, 2013
Big Horn, Wyoming
Crazy Horse
BC08951B-FD28-48B4-B348-81706FAAA405.jpeg

Randy Spencer

Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Would be kinda cool to have an Elon to go road tripping with. Drive in commuter lanes and see if anyone notices. He would show up perfectly on all traffic cams. "Don't send this guy a ticket, he had Elon onboard".

It'd be worth the $491 fine when they pull you over.

-Randy

Sew4angels

May 17, 2019
Tampa, FL
Small world. I have tons of family who have ranched near Scenic for more than 100 years. I think the population of Scenic topped out at about 200 around eighty years ago, so we are probably almost related.:)
It is a small world. My step dad has homesteaders in a Scenic for over a hundred years. I’m sure our families know each other.

SammichLover

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Yup
To answer my earlier question, Salina is mostly boned. I got about 5kWh total out of it, trying 1A, 2A, and 3B. It does the rise, 90kW ish then jumps and fairly quickly crashes.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl

PLUS EV

Running on Empty
Sep 16, 2016
Seattle
To answer my earlier question, Salina is mostly boned. I got about 5kWh total out of it, trying 1A, 2A, and 3B. It does the rise, 90kW ish then jumps and fairly quickly crashes.
Depending on how quickly it crashes, you may actually be able to get a decent charge by re-initiating a charge over and over again. I experienced this behavior in Midland Texas once and was able to stop and re-initiate over and over again from the touchscreen. Overall the charge was probably twice as slow as usual and it was annoying to have to wait in the car and manage it, but it definitely saved me a lot of time. And of course I only put up with it long enough to have enough charge to get to the next supercharger which worked better.

PLUS EV

Running on Empty
Sep 16, 2016
Seattle
At this point I believe I am "the last remaining Tesla in Custer" (sounds like a country song :). I am about to head out on a Custer->Ogallala->Colby->Shamrock->Arlington trip with a slight detour through Wind Cave National Park and a likely top off in Childress just to be safe. Somehow I don't think this is the kind of trip Elon had in mind when he dreamed up the supercharger network :)

The Colby to Shamrock leg should be a real doozy. I will probably be ready to sleep around Liberal, KS so maybe I can find some place near a hotel where I can plug in. Haven't researched that yet. Otherwise I may have to push through the night to Shamrock just to be save as it doesn't seem wise to cold soak the car overnight in the middle of a 313 mile leg. Should be an adventure!

SammichLover

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Yup
And of course I only put up with it long enough to have enough charge to get to the next supercharger which worked better.
Yeah, that’s roughly what I did, until co-pilot was done w/his pit stop. Stubbornly restarted to bump to make getting to Wichita safer. Just backed in at Wichita SC, in single digits, to charge (pictured below).

B5EA096F-151F-44C2-AF87-1A9CD07A2080.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Darren S and DavidB

PLUS EV

Running on Empty
Sep 16, 2016
Seattle
At this point I believe I am "the last remaining Tesla in Custer" (sounds like a country song :). I am about to head out on a Custer->Ogallala->Colby->Shamrock->Arlington trip with a slight detour through Wind Cave National Park and a likely top off in Childress just to be safe. Somehow I don't think this is the kind of trip Elon had in mind when he dreamed up the supercharger network :)

The Colby to Shamrock leg should be a real doozy. I will probably be ready to sleep around Liberal, KS so maybe I can find some place near a hotel where I can plug in. Haven't researched that yet. Otherwise I may have to push through the night to Shamrock just to be save as it doesn't seem wise to cold soak the car overnight in the middle of a 313 mile leg. Should be an adventure!
Now I'm seeing tornadoes in the forecast for the Shamrock area. I might have to recalculate my route! I've had horrible luck with weather on my Tesla travels for the last 8 months or so. Wouldn't mind a nice sunny day every once in a while :)

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover

SammichLover

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
Yup
Wouldn't mind a nice sunny day every once in a while :)
Ah——men.

Near catastrophe heading to Ogallala last night. Co-pilot decided had enough, turned up temp from LO without me noticing. When arrival % started dropping fast I’m not too proud to say I was puckering until I figured out what happened.

Reactions: Bighorn

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC