Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6th Annual Sound of Silence Rally - Custer SD - May 17-19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy Horse
BC08951B-FD28-48B4-B348-81706FAAA405.jpeg

To answer my earlier question, Salina is mostly boned. I got about 5kWh total out of it, trying 1A, 2A, and 3B. It does the rise, 90kW ish then jumps and fairly quickly crashes.
Depending on how quickly it crashes, you may actually be able to get a decent charge by re-initiating a charge over and over again. I experienced this behavior in Midland Texas once and was able to stop and re-initiate over and over again from the touchscreen. Overall the charge was probably twice as slow as usual and it was annoying to have to wait in the car and manage it, but it definitely saved me a lot of time. And of course I only put up with it long enough to have enough charge to get to the next supercharger which worked better.

At this point I believe I am "the last remaining Tesla in Custer" (sounds like a country song :). I am about to head out on a Custer->Ogallala->Colby->Shamrock->Arlington trip with a slight detour through Wind Cave National Park and a likely top off in Childress just to be safe. Somehow I don't think this is the kind of trip Elon had in mind when he dreamed up the supercharger network :)

The Colby to Shamrock leg should be a real doozy. I will probably be ready to sleep around Liberal, KS so maybe I can find some place near a hotel where I can plug in. Haven't researched that yet. Otherwise I may have to push through the night to Shamrock just to be save as it doesn't seem wise to cold soak the car overnight in the middle of a 313 mile leg. Should be an adventure!

And of course I only put up with it long enough to have enough charge to get to the next supercharger which worked better.
Yeah, that’s roughly what I did, until co-pilot was done w/his pit stop. Stubbornly restarted to bump to make getting to Wichita safer. Just backed in at Wichita SC, in single digits, to charge (pictured below).

B5EA096F-151F-44C2-AF87-1A9CD07A2080.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Darren S and DavidB
At this point I believe I am "the last remaining Tesla in Custer" (sounds like a country song :). I am about to head out on a Custer->Ogallala->Colby->Shamrock->Arlington trip with a slight detour through Wind Cave National Park and a likely top off in Childress just to be safe. Somehow I don't think this is the kind of trip Elon had in mind when he dreamed up the supercharger network :)

The Colby to Shamrock leg should be a real doozy. I will probably be ready to sleep around Liberal, KS so maybe I can find some place near a hotel where I can plug in. Haven't researched that yet. Otherwise I may have to push through the night to Shamrock just to be save as it doesn't seem wise to cold soak the car overnight in the middle of a 313 mile leg. Should be an adventure!
Now I'm seeing tornadoes in the forecast for the Shamrock area. I might have to recalculate my route! I've had horrible luck with weather on my Tesla travels for the last 8 months or so. Wouldn't mind a nice sunny day every once in a while :)

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover