Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6th Annual Sound of Silence Rally - Custer SD - May 17-19

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You all should be trying to avoid Murdo if at all possible.

That’s what we’ve been hearing. We’ll see how it goes with the wind tomorrow. I think I can get it close to 100% tonight and maybe keep speeds down a little (but what fun is that).

I had planned on cruising through the Badlands on the way tomorrow, hanging out in Custer on Sunday and heading down to Denver on Monday. However, if you’ve been looking at the weather, a massive storm will probably develop in the area on Monday and a Tuesday, bringing snow, thunderstorms and high winds to most of the plains states. If that forecast doesn’t change, we’ll be high-tailing it right back across South Dakota on Sunday.

218279D9-E6D2-46AE-AC4C-2F66FDD610B2.png

That’s what we’ve been hearing. We’ll see how it goes with the wind tomorrow. I think I can get it close to 100% tonight and maybe keep speeds down a little (but what fun is that).

I had planned on cruising through the Badlands on the way tomorrow, hanging out in Custer on Sunday and heading down to Denver on Monday. However, if you’ve been looking at the weather, a massive storm will probably develop in the area on Monday and a Tuesday, bringing snow, thunderstorms and high winds to most of the plains states. If that forecast doesn’t change, we’ll be high-tailing it right back across South Dakota on Sunday.

View attachment 408708
What's the reason for avoiding Murdo? Just congestion or some other issue?

What's the reason for avoiding Murdo? Just congestion or some other issue?
It's only 4 stalls and every time I've been there (3 times I think?) 1 or 2 stalls isn't working and the others are delivering 50kW or something. Maybe something has changed in the last year or so since I was last there, but it definitely seems like a potential bottleneck for an event like this. At least until Wall opens. Oacoma and Custer (and Wall eventually) have 8 stalls so shouldn't be too much of a problem there.

Unless you already are unplugged and driving 90mph on I-90, it looks like you will just barely miss me in Bozeman. I'm going to unplug in about 40 minutes or so and head east. Will just be doing quick top-offs in Billings and Sheridan. Skipping the weirdo gift shop in Big Timber altogether.

I had a nervous moment when I got a red light using 2A in Bozeman, but 1B is working fine. Not sure what the deal is there. I didn't have any stall occupancy data for Bozeman as I was approaching which made me even more nervous. I only had 8 Rated Miles remaining after my jaunt up to Kaczynski's cabin lol.
Now that is sn interesting stop! Thanks for the info on Bozeman SCd. Looks like I gotta get up early!

Murdo has been better lately with working chargers plus I can’t not go there and make Rapid City in my S. I’ve been when only one stall had been operating correctly, but speeds were decent a couple months ago. Can be a chokepoint like any of the 4 stallers if you don’t time it right around a busy event.

We’re in Rapid City, SD. The Superchargers were knocked out by the storm (while we were charging). So we’re stuck here until they come back up or we figure out somewhere else to charge. We made it from Oacama to Rapid City without stopping at Murdo with 20 miles to spare, thanks to a strong tailwind

Power is currently out at the Rapid City SD Supercharger. It went out about 15 minutes ago in a lightning storm.

Only 3 of the 4 stalls were working before it went out.

Queue is getting pretty long here...

We’re in Rapid City, SD. The Superchargers were knocked out by the storm (while we were charging). So we’re stuck here until they come back up or we figure out somewhere else to charge. We made it from Oacama to Rapid City without stopping at Murdo with 20 miles to spare, thanks to a strong tailwind

Oh, wow. Good luck over there.

Any chance any of these 4 locations still have power? All are HPWC or J-1772 connections.

Screenshot_20190517-132528__01-540x639.jpg

It looks like the Supercharger came back up (we’re eating lunch in Texas Roadhouse while waiting.)

Reactions: Darren S
I can't seem to find the event schedule anymore. Maybe it was on the registration page which is no longer up and running. Can someone remind me, we are supposed to register today at the Chamber of Commerce right? When do they close? I think it was 4pm or 4:30pm.

I can't seem to find the event schedule anymore. Maybe it was on the registration page which is no longer up and running. Can someone remind me, we are supposed to register today at the Chamber of Commerce right? When do they close? I think it was 4pm or 4:30pm.

@PLUS EV, I just arrived at the Chamber of Commerce and can find out if you won't make it by 4:30 (or can pick up your things if you want).

Edit: They are here until 4 pm but will take their stuff to the mixer at 5 pm so you can just get it then

Last edited: