Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 seat waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, i got a text message from Tesla today saying i could take delivery next week if i gave up the 7 seater option. Thats a no-go for me. Thats the major reason why i switched from a Model S to a Model Y. Can't give that up or it'd defeat the whole point. What is holding up the 7 seater configs?
Must be location dependent. I live in CA and was offered a 7seater this month. Had to put order on hold to avoid a VIN assignment.

I appear to be in a rolling 10 day EDD... yesterday it was 11-21, today is 12-22 and it just updated to 13-23. I'm probably marked as "on call" if someone cancels or rejects a VIN in my local area. I am going out of state starting in Wednesday and I don't come back until after Christmas, so we'll see what happens...

Kinda starting to have doubts about getting a VIN before January but we'll see, there's still 3 weeks left in the year.

Well, i got a text message from Tesla today saying i could take delivery next week if i gave up the 7 seater option. Thats a no-go for me. Thats the major reason why i switched from a Model S to a Model Y. Can't give that up or it'd defeat the whole point. What is holding up the 7 seater configs?
I received the same text last night. It also mentioned looking at what was in their inventory to speed up the process, but as you mentioned, all they have available at the moment are five-seaters. Some articles mentioned that they have delays due to having to bring back the USS. Whoever knows what's going on at TESLA.

I received the same text last night. It also mentioned looking at what was in their inventory to speed up the process, but as you mentioned, all they have available at the moment are five-seaters. Some articles mentioned that they have delays due to having to bring back the USS. Whoever knows what's going on at TESLA.
One can dream, no? Doubt they’ll backtrack on USS so quickly unless there was more of a public/business backlash. Radar, perhaps. Because Tesla vision gets at their core safety/marketing push for Autopilot and they probably realize without a superior autopilot system, their cars are just overpriced midrange vehicles.

Reactions: EVDeepDive
One can dream, no? Doubt they’ll backtrack on USS so quickly unless there was more of a public/business backlash. Radar, perhaps. Because Tesla vision gets at their core safety/marketing push for Autopilot and they probably realize without a superior autopilot system, their cars are just overpriced midrange vehicles.

Well if they bring back USS they better retrofit the cars without them. We were promised a fully functional park assist and we don't have that.

There is a general feeling that Tesla makes rash decisions, this isn't true. It feels like that because they change their cars on the fly/change pricing dynamically, remove models without warning. They have never reintroduced safety hardware after removing it, ever. Tesla is a hardcore engineering company, sometimes a bit too hardcore for the consumers. They are not going back to USS, its a major cost savings and parts reduction move.

Well if they bring back USS they better retrofit the cars without them. We were promised a fully functional park assist and we don't have that.
That will not happen, they will provide functionality though their cameras, I am sure they have tested this. If they haven't they wouldn't be selling you are car today, they would be out of business. If you don't want their bleeding edge, it might be worth looking into the used market. There are used Ys with radar and USS out there today.

Updated the spreadsheet with info added this weekend from:
@fonger
@shank15217
@yobigd20

If anyone else has any updates, please send them in and I'll continue to keep tracking. Hopefully they'll be more movement or texts going out this week! 🤞
So here are my texts, Initial Order April 2022, first delay October 2022 (no comms), second delay November, 8th, (great news, several weeks txt), (Dec 7th delivery soon txt), (Dec 8th, waanna change your car? txt) crickets..

In the meantime I removed FSD in October with the intention of getting it via sub because trade-in prices were dropping like a rock (I am damn sure they delayed delivery because of this)

That will not happen, they will provide functionality though their cameras, I am sure they have tested this. If they haven't they wouldn't be selling you are car today, they would be out of business. If you don't want their bleeding edge, it might be worth looking into the used market. There are used Ys with radar and USS out there today.

I don't want the bleeding edge. I want my $65k 2023 car to be capable of a rudimentary function like park assist that we were told were standard at the time of ordering. Too much to ask? All we got is "coming soon". No timeline whatsoever. This could be next month or 3 years from now knowing Tesla.

I am very doubtful they will deliver in December, I even told them I'm willing to get black seats, lets see what happens.
You could just change the interior color to black, and see what happen, if you don't get a vin by dec24 then you can switch it back to white.
I had blue/white, and as stuck on EDD of Dec for several weeks, with last text being 'several weeks away', I thought maybe some part of the color combo was causing the delay so i updated my order to MSM/black and with in 20 hours of changing the colors I got a text with my vin, followed up with a text to set delivery date, which with the earliest date being 1 week from that txt.

I don't want the bleeding edge. I want my $65k 2023 car to be capable of a rudimentary function like park assist that we were told were standard at the time of ordering. Too much to ask? All we got is "coming soon". No timeline whatsoever. This could be next month or 3 years from now knowing Tesla.
I hear you, it's what it is. There are others who get mad when Tesla updates hardware, like MCU3 in the middle of the year. It's part of journey. Watch the mayhem when Tesla drops HW4 like in mid March 2023 or some random day and people are crying their car doesn't have it. When it comes to curating customer expectations, Tesla has missed the boat.

There is a general feeling that Tesla makes rash decisions, this isn't true. It feels like that because they change their cars on the fly/change pricing dynamically, remove models without warning. They have never reintroduced safety hardware after removing it, ever. Tesla is a hardcore engineering company, sometimes a bit too hardcore for the consumers. They are not going back to USS, its a major cost savings and parts reduction move.
I agree with you. Although, as you said, Tesla likes to do what they want when they want without saying anything. USS on Teslas That's the link to the article that I saw about the FCC requiring them to put them back on their vehicles.

I agree with you. Although, as you said, Tesla likes to do what they want when they want without saying anything. USS on Teslas That's the link to the article that I saw about the FCC requiring them to put them back on their vehicles.
There is very little actual information. There are cars today that don't have USS or radar. FCC cannot/ would not compel a car maker to use a specific technology unless it's essential for vehicle safety. If Tesla decided to remove seat belts we have an issue.