Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 seat waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know
I’m looking at the X5 and Q7. Price wise, they are pretty close to each other. Advantage goes to Tesla with $7 gas prices.
Gotcha. Looking at Kia plug-in for several reasons.

1. qualify for 6500 tax credit
  2. 20k (ish) less than the Y!! holy moly
  3. Has the third row (six seater); captains chairs for the kids in 2nd row.
  4. Still has full panoramic roof option
  5. Same size (almost identical in exterior and interior dimension)
  6. Build quality vs Tesla
  7. 14 kwh battery means you're on electric for 95% of your trips (commuting/around town)
  8. Never have to wait at a supercharger with the gas motor.
  9. Somewhat of an "instant torque" feel with the electric motor. Not near a tesla of course, but its there
  10. An actual dashboard and screen behind the wheel (lol!)
  11. These are available immediately if you don't care about the color combo (4 month wait if custom order)
  12. Ride Quality is better; no harsh ride (probably, haven't tested the KIA)
  13. Apple CarPlay (this is kinda a big deal)
  14. Sirius XM (how does the Tesla not have this?)
  15. Combination of tactile buttons and screen (this is the way)
If this thing said Tesla (instead of Kia) on it, the backorder would be insane IMO

Last edited:
I was under the impression that you would pay current pricing if you bought an inventory car. Did you pay the price your original reservation was for, or current pricing?
That’s a big driver in deciding to go inventory or keep waiting.
They were able to match my RN to the VIN so I ended up paying the price at which I ordered the car.
I was under the impression that you would pay current pricing if you bought an inventory car. Did you pay the price your original reservation was for, or current pricing?
That’s a big driver in deciding to go inventory or keep waiting.
They were able to match the VIN to my RN. Luckily that meant I would pay whatever price I originally agreed to. For me that was 58990 for the base price. I added FSD back at the end of May and then removed it before my VIN was confirmed. It didn't change anything for me. The car had FSD at the dealership but when I took it there was no FSD

Reactions: Kairide
Gotcha. Looking at Kia plug-in for several reasons.
There are a few reasons I’m still leaning to the MY.

- Current gas prices. Even though this won’t be my primary car, $7 gas still makes me pause.
- Locked in price from Oct 2021.
- Resell value of Tesla. I plan on selling the car as soon as another 7 seater EV is available.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said. I test drove a 4 year old X5. It was so smooth…. It felt like I was driving in the clouds.

Be cautious with the hybrid electric motor though. I test drove a hybrid XC90, and when I had it on all electric mode, there is literally no torque. It’s like 90 hp driving a 2 ton beast. It’s very slow…. It works. But it’s very slow….

Reactions: bluewhite79
There are a few reasons I’m still leaning to the MY.

- Current gas prices. Even though this won’t be my primary car, $7 gas still makes me pause.
- Locked in price from Oct 2021.
- Resell value of Tesla. I plan on selling the car as soon as another 7 seater EV is available.

Otherwise, I agree with everything you said. I test drove a 4 year old X5. It was so smooth…. It felt like I was driving in the clouds.

Be cautious with the hybrid electric motor though. I test drove a hybrid XC90, and when I had it on all electric mode, there is literally no torque. It’s like 90 hp driving a 2 ton beast. It’s very slow…. It works. But it’s very slow….

Agree. Resale is big for the Y and i'm there with you on the locked-in price.

But again, gas prices aren't a factor for the plug-in either. Some have suggested they fill up the kia once a month. As far as your slowness concern - It seems that the electric motor won't do all of the work if you mash the throttle. The review bros like the acceleration/torque of the plug-in.

Reactions: fishy21
For anyone who has the price locked in under $60k, idk don’t think you’ll find anything close to as good as value as the 7 seater Y. Mine is locked in at 53k plus the 3k 3rd row. Nothing not comes close
Oh how I wish I could go back in time to early 2021 and order a 7-seat SR Y when it would have cost me only $43k. Forget the resale value, that build would have been perfect for our daily needs. The SR+ 3 holds its own quite well, but the extra space of the Y-7 would definitely be nice.