Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 seat waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh boy! Are some of us are going to have dose of buyers remorse?

Looks like price cuts are on the horizon but maybe only for the MS & MX.
Right won't be as high as $7.5K on the Y or 3. Feds "paying" for that. In the past they've lowered or other incentives but not as high

I'm taking the Y delivery this week regardless (unless huge fit/finish issues) and hoping I won't join the Dec. buyers club ;) Chasing car pricing is like market timing TSLA,

MYLR 7 seater, Blue on Black, std 19inch wheels, Tow hitch
Location - PA (Philly region)

Order placed : 01/16
App delivery originally : Feb 27 - March 31.
EDD updated on 02/28 to : 03/18 - 03/31

EDD updated on 03/19 to: 04/08 to 05/06 ... So pissed 😡 will now lose the Armco Feb rate !
Finally .. VIN issued this morning ! 7SAYGAEE1PFxxxxxx

MYLR 7 seater, Blue on Black, std 19inch wheels, Tow hitch
Location - PA (Philly region)

Order placed : 01/16
App delivery originally : Feb 27 - March 31.
EDD updated on 02/28 to : 03/18 - 03/31
EDD updated on 03/19 to: 04/08 to 05/06
VIN issued on 04/06

Reactions: gaur
Oh boy! Are some of us are going to have dose of buyers remorse?

Looks like price cuts are on the horizon but maybe only for the MS & MX.

Now I'm debating giving up the 7 seats for SR @ $49K

Price Details​

Model Y
$39,990.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive
$13,000.00
Seven Seat Interior
$4,000.00
Destination Fee
$1,390.00
Order Fee
$250.00
Car Price
$58,630.00

Additional Charges​

Tire Fee
$4.00
Registration Amount
$1,002.55
Sales Tax
$3,693.69

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$63,330.24​

so do I get the lower price if I pick up next week?

Price Details​

Model Y
$39,990.00
Long Range All-Wheel Drive
$13,000.00
Seven Seat Interior
$4,000.00
Destination Fee
$1,390.00
Order Fee
$250.00
Car Price
$58,630.00

Additional Charges​

Tire Fee
$4.00
Registration Amount
$1,002.55
Sales Tax
$3,693.69

Total Cost of Vehicle​

$63,330.24​

Well, if this is the numbers, you already have the lower price.

Reactions: vickh
or go with SR. I wonder why TSLA didn't allow 3rd row :(
I wonder that too. It could be it's a temporary configuration simplification, but if it has to do with the structural battery, that would be a bad thing (could spell the end of 7 seats, kind of like how eventually they were discontinued in the Model S, still not to be seen even though Elon promised it for the refresh). Hopefully the 7 seat option is popular enough though that they won't plan to do that.

I wonder that too. It could be it's a temporary configuration simplification, but if it has to do with the structural battery, that would be a bad thing (could spell the end of 7 seats, kind of like how eventually they were discontinued in the Model S, still not to be seen even though Elon promised it for the refresh). Hopefully the 7 seat option is popular enough though that they won't plan to do that.

I still regret passing on my jump seat Model S. Worried about temps w/o rear vents in AZ. Didn't help my kid started bawling when we put her there on delivery ;)

I don't think it's structural but a $ issue and maybe factory issue like @vishnumrao thinks

Is AWD LFP like 3?

Last edited:
I don't think it's structural but a $ issue and maybe factory issue like @vishnumrao thinks

Is AWD LFP like 3?
AWDs out of Austin have been configured for front and rear single frame casts with the 4680 structural battery pack integrating everything into a single chassis. No other factory is set up this way. Keep in mind, Austin has been slowly ramping MYLR (2170 config/rear cast only) and my guess at some point a MYLR7. Same happened in Fremont when MY production started end of 2019/early 2020 only MYLRs were being built and then 7 seat versions began to show up toward the end of 2020. Again, these are 2170 with rear casts not sure what the plan is for 4680 as battery production for 4680 is ramping along with vehicle production. For Austin at least, Tesla plans to manufacture 4680 in N.A. to include anode, cathode and sourced minerals.

The AWD is 4680 and has same chemistry as the 2170 battery packs. Packaging between 4680 and 2170 is the main difference along with production process geared toward simplicity and scalability. The LFPs are only on Model 3 rear wheel drive and believe things will remain that way for a while.

Currently own both 7 seat (Jan build) and AWD (Mar build). I'd say a very noticable difference between the two in terms of ride and handling. The AWD being the better from my experience. I actually enjoy driving the AWD most hands down. The 7 seat is for the wife so no complaints as she loves it.

• Informative
AWDs out of Austin have been configured for front and rear single frame casts with the 4680 structural battery pack integrating everything into a single chassis. No other factory is set up this way. Keep in mind, Austin has been slowly ramping MYLR (2170 config/rear cast only) and my guess at some point a MYLR7. Same happened in Fremont when MY production started end of 2019/early 2020 only MYLRs were being built and then 7 seat versions began to show up toward the end of 2020. Again, these are 2170 with rear casts not sure what the plan is for 4680 as battery production for 4680 is ramping along with vehicle production. For Austin at least, Tesla plans to manufacture 4680 in N.A. to include anode, cathode and sourced minerals.

The AWD is 4680 and has same chemistry as the 2170 battery packs. Packaging between 4680 and 2170 is the main difference along with production process geared toward simplicity and scalability. The LFPs are only on Model 3 rear wheel drive and believe things will remain that way for a while.

Currently own both 7 seat (Jan build) and AWD (Mar build). I'd say a very noticable difference between the two in terms of ride and handling. The AWD being the better from my experience. I actually enjoy driving the AWD most hands down. The 7 seat is for the wife so no complaints as she loves it.

Good info. Apparently the seat are right on the 4680 structural battery pack, which makes handling better, but might be harder for 7 seat/new fab process?
So I can't get 7 seat off menu.

I liked your handling comment. I imagine it to be more comfortable/less bumpy too compared to my SR 3 RWD

Is the 4680 modular/ez to replace, is it more efficient/safer too?

Good info. Apparently the seat are right on the 4680 structural battery pack, which makes handling better, but might be harder for 7 seat/new fab process?
So I can't get 7 seat off menu.

I liked your handling comment. I imagine it to be more comfortable/less bumpy too compared to my SR 3 RWD

Is the 4680 modular/ez to replace, is it more efficient/safer too?
Correct, seats bolt onto the battery pack making general assembly easier. Although, that's not the main reason for the handling being better. Handling comes from the combination of front and rear casts tied to a structural battery pack giving the chassis a single longitudinal lower mass. This in turn translates to vehicle dynamics where torsional forces are evenly distributed throughout this single piece of mass vs many individually welded and bolted components. It's definitely more pleasing and comfortable to ride in, Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) is significantly better.

I'm not familiar with how the 4680 is configured in terms of internal modules. I'm sure whatever the case maybe it's covered under the 8yr/120,000mi warranty if a replacement were required. I'm currently assessing efficiency (wh/mi) between the LR and AWD and hopefully in the near future can give more insight there.

Last I saw, all (LR, Performance, AWD) MYs qualify for tax credit up to April 18th not sure what happens beyond that date.

• Informative
Correct, seats bolt onto the battery pack making general assembly easier. Although, that's not the main reason for the handling being better. Handling comes from the combination of front and rear casts tied to a structural battery pack giving the chassis a single longitudinal lower mass. This in turn translates to vehicle dynamics where torsional forces are evenly distributed throughout this single piece of mass vs many individually welded and bolted components. It's definitely more pleasing and comfortable to ride in, Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) is significantly better.

I'm not familiar with how the 4680 is configured in terms of internal modules. I'm sure whatever the case maybe it's covered under the 8yr/120,000mi warranty if a replacement were required. I'm currently assessing efficiency (wh/mi) between the LR and AWD and hopefully in the near future can give more insight there.

Last I saw, all (LR, Performance, AWD) MYs qualify for tax credit up to April 18th not sure what happens beyond that date.

Will post the tax q. on main thread, but looks like I have to decided b/t giving up the 7 seater 1st.

NVH is terrible on rough roads/hwy on my 3 so I looked at used X air susp. Bullet dodged with X reliability but does the Y come close with NVH to air? esp. with new single longitudinal lower mass.