Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 weeks and counting since last substantial software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have 48.12.1 installed on our 2017 S 100D/MCU1 and 2018 X 100D/MCU2, and aren't seeing any major issues, so it could be the issues may not be affecting the majority of owners
Not sure where you are located Bob, but one common thing with the freezing of the screen and rebooting as I see it is these are not US based vehicles. The other thing which US customers won't experience is the hit and miss operation of Spotify, some releases break it totally, others have it sometimes working, sometimes not. Whilst these aren't mission critical they are very annoying and detract from the overall ownership experience when pretty much every other vehicle manufacturer has no problem getting the basics of the infotainment system right.

As the number of Tesla owners increases and Tesla moves beyond "early adopters", they may find customers less willing to accept software with obvious issues.
Exactly, that is a very real situation they need to consider.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
Not sure where you are located Bob, but one common thing with the freezing of the screen and rebooting as I see it is these are not US based vehicles.

This is why Tesla should have an open beta program. Things were much simpler when Tesla was selling vehicles in one configuration for use in the US, in English, with the North American charging, left-side steering wheel, …

Now Tesla has a huge (and growing) number of configurations. Not only do they have multiple generations of the S/3/X hardware as Tesla makes changes to the models, they now have many variations being produced (different languages/locations, left/right steering, different charging, RWD/AWD, different battery pack sizes, AP1/AP2, MCU1/MCU2, …).

Unless Tesla has implemented automated testing (which appears highly unlikely, because automated testing would have caught many of the obvious bugs), their small group of internal testers and small group of hand picked external beta testers can only test a very small fraction of the total number of potential configurations - and that fraction gets increasingly smaller as time goes on.

Tesla can do better. And they have a lot of owners (with considerable software experience) ready to help...

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
This is why Tesla should have an open beta program.

Tesla can do better. And they have a lot of owners (with considerable software experience) ready to help...
Open beta would be very nice (the MCU GUI etc being open sourced would be even better!), I'm over being told they are a tech company yet software update procedures do not reflect how that is normally done with 'tech companies'.
They could easily choose a very good pool of beta testers outside the company to help them get things sorted before making all owners beta testers. As I mentioned in another post, the update 2018.48.12.1 I knew within 2 minutes of installing it they had broken Spotify (again) and within 10 minutes how bad the freezing screen situation was. If I was an external beta tester I could have reported that right away before they deployed it and upset owners that just want things to work.
I'm not on Twitter but that seems to be the only way to get your message through to the big boss, someone maybe needs to point out to Elon that their software validation before deployment is broken and they should seriously consider setting up some external beta testing for owners willing to be part of that.

Well, Musk mentioned that the advanced summon is going to beta testers in a few weeks. So it is possible this is just the pause before the next Big Update.

Mmmhhmmm.....in a few weeks:

95295F5E-D25C-4352-A7E5-235592B476CD.jpeg

Not sure where you are located Bob, but one common thing with the freezing of the screen and rebooting as I see it is these are not US based vehicles. The other thing which US customers won't experience is the hit and miss operation of Spotify, some releases break it totally, others have it sometimes working, sometimes not. Whilst these aren't mission critical they are very annoying and detract from the overall ownership experience when pretty much every other vehicle manufacturer has no problem getting the basics of the infotainment system right.

Exactly, that is a very real situation they need to consider.

I'm in the US and have the MCU crashing issue when I'm not in the car. Tech Support says "it's due to the cold weather" which, uhh, doesn't make sense. Regarding "other vehicle manufacturer has no problem getting the basics of the infotainment system right.", it's two sides of the same coin. If you don't have the ability to update the car, you better make sure everything is 100% before shipping. If you can update the car, shortcuts are going to be inevitably taken, and anything broken "can be fixed (or broken) in the future".

Open beta would be very nice (the MCU GUI etc being open sourced would be even better!), I'm over being told they are a tech company yet software update procedures do not reflect how that is normally done with 'tech companies'.
They could easily choose a very good pool of beta testers outside the company to help them get things sorted before making all owners beta testers. As I mentioned in another post, the update 2018.48.12.1 I knew within 2 minutes of installing it they had broken Spotify (again) and within 10 minutes how bad the freezing screen situation was. If I was an external beta tester I could have reported that right away before they deployed it and upset owners that just want things to work.
I'm not on Twitter but that seems to be the only way to get your message through to the big boss, someone maybe needs to point out to Elon that their software validation before deployment is broken and they should seriously consider setting up some external beta testing for owners willing to be part of that.

Beta testers aren't being utilized properly. When they detect an issue, you write a test case for that issue next time so it'll be checked automatically to ensure it works properly.

The problem isn't sharing source code between S/X and 3, because software can be developed to separate the functionality from the user interface, making it possible for the same app to run on different screen configurations. That's why well designed smartphone apps can support different sizes of displays - and horizontal/vertical orientation - with the same source code.

Last year when S/X and 3 were separate, that resulted in the software developers having to develop some functionality twice - in two sets of source code. Now that a common source tree is used for S/3/X, the developers should be able to develop functionality once, and then have the app displayed correctly based on S/X or 3 displays.

Since Musk was pushing for the Summons+ functionality, and they may have encountered some regulatory barrier in distributing that software, it's possible the delays may not be entirely due to the software developers, or that the additional time is required to address the regulatory (and insurance?) concerns.

Besides the previous recommendations for quality improvements and providing more control to owners, there's really no reason why Tesla shouldn't be more open on what's coming in future releases. There are usually rumors of what Tesla may or may not be developing in upcoming releases. Everyone knows software schedules are unpredictable, but Tesla could still indicate what their plans are for the next major or minor releases, what is likely (but not guaranteed) to be in the release, and when they hope to release it. Many software products/systems follow this practice, so customers know what to expect in the coming months or years.

Is Tesla readying a 9.1 release? What will be in it? What major bugs/design flaws are they planning to fix? And about when are they hoping to get it out? And why not open the testing to more than the small number of hand-picked beta and "early access" testers?

Reactions: P100D_Me
Not sure exactly what you are looking for in being able to switch the screen off at night or for what purpose, but have tried just putting it into screen cleaning mode? Screen is almost all black (granted, not off) minus the dialog box in the middle to be able to exit out.

i want to be able to turn it off period with a button so that i dont have to take my eyes off the road i dont know what the roads are like where you live but here they are mainly unlit and narrow to the point of where you hold your breath when meeting an oncoming car at night and to make it worse the government cutbacks have left the roadmarkings almost non existant on minor roads

have you ever tried to activate sceen cleaning mode without taking your eyes off the road.