Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70 to 75 Who upgraded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that its $500, is it worth it? My 70 (non D) currently charges to 227 with 11K miles on it. How many miles should I expect if I upgrade to 75?

Well, if you hypothetically were able to charge another 20 miles (so your current 100% is now 93%), what ways would that benefit you?

I think that's the $500 question to answer. I feel like for most people, the answer is "it wouldn't".

I upgraded my 70D to 75D at the end of October 2016 for $3,250 (ouch). But I live in rural Washington and those extra 19 miles have actually saved my ass a few times on long trips through the mountains on cold days.

Just depends on your situation. For me, if I were still driving a 70D there are a few (very few) scenarios where I wouldn't have felt comfortable. Those few times where I rolled into a Supercharger with 4 rated miles left probably wouldn't have worked out.

Reactions: Yarder
I have followed Tesla for many years now....embarrassed to say this. I knew some of the batteries were software limited. My 70D I thought was it....is it really a 75? After reading the OP entry again, it sounds like they currently have a Model S 70 and can software unlock to a 75 by paying $500. Does this work for my 70D, can I software unlock it to a 75D, if so how much anybody know?? Very interesting.....

I have followed Tesla for many years now....embarrassed to say this. I knew some of the batteries were software limited. My 70D I thought was it....is it really a 75? After reading the OP entry again, it sounds like they currently have a Model S 70 and can software unlock to a 75 by paying $500. Does this work for my 70D, can I software unlock it to a 75D, if so how much anybody know?? Very interesting.....
It will work sir, and it is $500 dollars, according to other 70 owners. You do have a 75 battery.

If you have the updated front end from April 2016 onwards the you actually have a 75 battery software limited to 70 and can upgrade. If you have the older nose-cone you have a 70 battery.

Damn !!!!! Got an early 70D version !!!! Well guess this gives me ONE thing to bitch about the car...For those interested I looked on the Tesla website and if you have a newer 70D version w/new front end look at your my tesla account and there will be a section "available upgrades".
I didn't see such an available upgrade section on my so assuming I can't do it. Thanks for the heads up MIT_S60.

I upgraded as soon as I found out about the price drop. I had felt that the original price ($3000) was absolutely unreasonable, but $500 was a slam dunk. I have occasionally found myself in situations where the extra 20 or so miles would have made a difference relative to charging time or driving speed, or at least offered some peace of mind. Only you can decide if the same can be applied to your situation.

Now that its $500, is it worth it? My 70 (non D) currently charges to 227 with 11K miles on it. How many miles should I expect if I upgrade to 75?

I upgraded a couple of months ago when it was $3k. (Boo!)

90% went from 205-207 to 218-222
100% went from 223-227 to 242-248
Currently at 16k miles, almost a year old (June 2016 delivery)

I needed it when taking a road trip where I had stretch of 215 miles (Jackson, MS to Memphis, TN).

I think it's TOTALLY worth it for $500. No brainer!!

Reactions: Big-Al
I upgraded a couple of months ago when it was $3k. (Boo!)

90% went from 205-207 to 218-222
100% went from 223-227 to 242-248
Currently at 16k miles, almost a year old (June 2016 delivery)

I needed it when taking a road trip where I had stretch of 215 miles (Jackson, MS to Memphis, TN).

I think it's TOTALLY worth it for $500. No brainer!!
My S60 now S75 only charges to 217 at 90% with 3500 miles. Perhaps it's time for a few 100% cycles to balance out the cells.

I upgraded the night it became available. And I'm glad I did - I'm currently finishing up a cross country round trip and have 9 miles remaining until my next charger and a projected 11 miles of range to get there with. Hit some bad storms and worse headwinds. Without that extra bump I likely would need to stop at an RV park!