Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mine can’t be uncorked.
and I’m not the only in one EU.

I asked at least 5 service centers , several escalations via MyTesla.

no go

vin 140xxx may 2016
75d facelift

Quite a few in the UK are saying the same thing.

The advice I've given

on the UK owners group for what its worth is to keep asking as some have eventually succeeded. The service centres seem to be working from out of date lists and aren;t checking the P value (or whatever it is). Have they actually inspected the car or just gone from the VIN? The only area I wonder is those with the software limited 85 battery - they should be fine anyway but they fall into a different configuration, but they were built mid 17 so doesn't fit your situation.

I am a UK owner and I was told no also at a service (which took 8 days)

75D Battery 1088794-00-A

vin 5YJSB7E20GF165XXX

Delivered January 2017

Is it the case that this car would be unlocked in the USA but may or may not be elsewhere?

I am a UK owner and I was told no also at a service (which took 8 days)

75D Battery 1088794-00-A

vin 5YJSB7E20GF165XXX

Delivered January 2017

Is it the case that this car would be unlocked in the USA but may or may not be elsewhere?

No, the car can either be uncorked or it can't. My first question is how the SC decided your car couldn't be uncorked. Did they perform a diagnostic check or just rely on a VIN and WARP system check? My money is on the latter. My VIN is pretty close to yours (12/16 build 3/17 delivery) and I was originally told no. A few appeals later and turns out I can be, and have been 11/17.

The VIN list is hopeless, you need them to conduct a "PT BMS ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" test. This will deliver a number, and if it is greater than a 3, you are uncorkable.

Hope this helps.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mark77a and hill
No, the car can either be uncorked or it can't. My first question is how the SC decided your car couldn't be uncorked. Did they perform a diagnostic check or just rely on a VIN and WARP system check? My money is on the latter. My VIN is pretty close to yours (12/16 build 3/17 delivery) and I was originally told no. A few appeals later and turns out I can be, and have been 11/17.

The VIN list is hopeless, you need them to conduct a "PT BMS ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" test. This will deliver a number, and if it is greater than a 3, you are uncorkable.

Hope this helps.

Nice, that does help :)

I will ask what they did to determine it wasn't possible.

Who did you speak to and which service center?

Do they need the car to do the diagnostic or can it be done remotely?

Who did you speak to and which service center?

I had 4 rejections from various sources, My Tesla escalation, telephone calls to SC's etc. I had constantly been in touch with Gatwick who were sticking to the "your VIN's not eligible" line until they had a car in that wasn't on the list and they did the diagnostic test and bingo.

My understanding is that all 75D's should routinely have the diagnostic done at service time, but I don't know whther on not that actually happens. The test only takes a short time but the actual uncorking is quite a complicated software process and takes a good 90 mins or so.

I don't think the diagnostic can be done remotely, but Engineering can look at the car in ore detail than the SC can - I think. getting them to do it is not so easy though, resources etc etc.

One more datapoint from UK: 75RWD 184xxx , delivered March 2017, Uncorked OK, West Drayton.
I'm not sure if its significant but it had 'CH04 High Amperage Charger' & 'BTX5 Battery' on options list.

I will try and get android dashboard app to measure 0-60 .... fun in the snow :)

One more datapoint from UK: 75RWD 184xxx , delivered March 2017, Uncorked OK, West Drayton. I'm not sure if its significant but it had 'CH04 High Amperage Charger' & 'BTX5 Battery' on options list. I will try and get android dashboard app to measure 0-60 .... fun in the snow :)
That doesn't sound right, no S75 RWD produced before June 2017 can have the new drivetrain, hence is not uncorkable. Can you send me your complete VIN by PM, so that I can inquire at my contract from our local SC?

CH04 High Amperage Charger & BTX5 Battery are insignificant, BTX5 is the regular 75 kWh 350VDC battery pack, CH04 is the European 3-phase charger (shows up in the option list whether the AC charger is software-limited or not).

Reactions: MIT_S60
One more datapoint from UK: 75RWD 184xxx , delivered March 2017, Uncorked OK, West Drayton.
I'm not sure if its significant but it had 'CH04 High Amperage Charger' & 'BTX5 Battery' on options list.

I will try and get android dashboard app to measure 0-60 .... fun in the snow :)
That doesn't sound right, no S75 RWD produced before June 2017 can have the new drivetrain, hence is not uncorkable. Can you send me your complete VIN by PM, so that I can inquire at my contract from our local SC?

CH04 High Amperage Charger & BTX5 Battery are insignificant, BTX5 is the regular 75 kWh 350VDC battery pack, CH04 is the European 3-phase charger (shows up in the option list whether the AC charger is software-limited or not).
This would be the first report of an S75 RWD pre-June 2017 that is uncorked if true.

My understanding is that all 75D's should routinely have the diagnostic done at service time, but I don't know whther on not that actually happens. The test only takes a short time but the actual uncorking is quite a complicated software process and takes a good 90 mins or so.
Well, they had my car for a week before getting on to doing anything, I had a list of issues including simple chrome trim realignment which didn't get done.

I think they are struggling for time and quite possibly just thought a straight no would be easier if the subsequent uncork was going to take 90 minutes.

Reactions: hill
This would be the first report of an S75 RWD pre-June 2017 that is uncorked if true.
It really sounds too good to be true, but although I wish this became reality for @Mark77a, I rather think that this is a mistake and that the SC didn't realize it's not a S 75D beforehand.

@Mark77a, you wrote that you will not get your car back before Monday. So you are not absolutely sure that they really uncorked it yet, right? Just something your local SC told you? Because in my opinion it's just not possible. If they lookup your VIN in their system, they can see the tags, and absolutely no RWD vehicle built before middle of June 2017 has been tagged for uncorking. That's what my contact at our local SC is 100% sure about. If they really do it, it can only be a mistake then. Too bad that @JonMc isn't around anymore, though he didn't bring clarity to this matter as he promised anyway.

There must be a different explanation than battery configuration since both of the battery types for 75d’s (some people got an 85 battery adjusted to 75) and also the old and new drive units were able to get the uncork.
you're saying some 75's are really 85's? ..... Link? Well ... if there are 75's that are readjusted 85's, wouldn't it be logical that Tesla would AT LEAST offer a 10kWh upgrade?
Thinking here ... in all reality, this whole uncorking thing most likely - came about because it was so assinine AND sucky that the model 3's would have nearly 400hp - & THAT ISSUE virtually make it as (0-60mph) fast as the model S and X's 75's ....
So - that being the case, where is the parody for those of us w/ 10 month old 75D's who according to Tesla, can't be uncork'ed - & we can't get a windshield with no go ghosting, & we can't get the chrome molding aligned so that it's parallel to the parts next to the doors, & we can't get relief from ½ shaft shutter - & we can't get a new headliner (that kept falling off) in less than a½ year, (model X) & can't get the rear camera screen running consistently because we can't get a new wiring harness in less than 3 to 4 months, & we can't get door parts that securely lock until they get here whenever .... & yet we paid at least $50K more - than the way less costly version of the most expensive M3??? would it be wrong to think, "this is F'ing BS .... & maybe we have some seriously bad (un-expressed) thoughts ?

Last edited:
you're saying some 75's are really 85's? ..... Link? Well ... if there are 75's that are readjusted 85's, wouldn't it be logical that Tesla would AT LEAST offer a 10kWh upgrade?
Thinking here ... in all reality, this whole uncorking thing most likely - came about because it was so assinine AND sucky that the model 3's would have nearly 400hp - & THAT ISSUE virtually make it as (0-60mph) fast as the model S and X's 75's ....
So - that being the case, where is the parody for those of us w/ 10 month old 75D's who according to Tesla, can't be uncork'ed - & we can't get a windshield with no go ghosting, & we can't get the chrome molding aligned so that it's parallel to the parts next to the doors, & we can't get relief from ½ shaft shutter - & we can't get a new headliner (that kept falling off) in less than a½ year, (model X) & can't get the rear camera screen running consistently because we can't get a new wiring harness in less than 3 to 4 months, & we can't get door parts that securely lock until they get here whenever .... & yet we paid at least $50K more - than the way less costly version of the most expensive M3??? would it be wrong to think, "this is F'ing BS .... & maybe we have some seriously bad (un-expressed) thoughts ?

If you search the forum or internet there are a number of discussions about some 75’s getting 85 batteries. Here’s one:
Tesla strangely starts delivering new 85 kWh battery packs software-locked at 75 kWh

Also, there’s one video of a dyno test claiming the model 3 has 393 hp. Otherwise there are lots of other sources showing quite a bit less power with closer to 300 hp. The only thing I’m sure of is that the car is software limited to some extent just like the other Tesla. I don’t know if we have reliable specs on the potential power output of the model 3 drive motor.

I have an S75D built in 11/2016 that was uncorked a few months ago. I don’t know the backstory to why yours cannot be uncorked but sympathize with you. If you haven’t escalated all those car problems above your SC I’d do that. It is way above and beyond what anyone would consider reasonable new car problems. I don’t know what sort of legal recourse you have if that fails like lemon laws but others on this forum will know.

The software limited 85 in the 75D shows up as battery code BTX8 rather than BTX5. That BTX8 battery part number matches the P85 battery. Torque is limited the same (first few seconds of acceleration) but the max power for the next several seconds is 10% higher. Also that battery is 400v and much higher current than even the uncorked 350v BTX5 so the decrease in power from BackEMF that happens on the 75D at 70 mph does not happen until much later with the BTX8. Also it charges much faster because it is both 400v and because it is software limited so the charge tapering starts later.

Unfortunately we have not seen a BTX8 delivered in the US. For those lucky foreign cars that received one, Tesla has not recognized the BTX8 and there is no way to currently unlock one.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BartJ and hill
Just to add to this entertainment, my 75D was ordered in that limbo period where they changed from various individual options to the all-or-nothing premium options pack. I ordered at a time when the various premium options were separate checkboxes (but at that stage couldn't get air suspension), but my delivery date was well past the (June 1? July 1? can't remember) cutover date for uncorking. Various anxious e-mails to assorted Tesla staff produced a high affirmative that it would indeed be uncorked.

Took delivery early September '17, definitely not uncorked.

Long story short, in early October I was told to not use the car for a couple of hours whilst the Mothership noodled around with my config. Less than an hour later, I got an e-mail saying they'd essentially downloaded another 100hp into the car and could I test it. I did, and they had :D I was subsequently told this was an oversight that the car had been delivered with the wrong software config. From what I could work out, it was a config change and the staging and install of the latest software - that's it. That process updated the battery's max current limit as well as the inverter power curves, and all was good.

I was then also subsequently told that doing this procedure OTA wasn't recommended, but they'd made an exception in my case as they hadn't delivered what I was expecting.

Massively happy with the car. Only thing I'd have loved is a BTX8 pack and perhaps the 16kW charger, but considering I paid less than the original price in the form of a cheaper premium options pack (mine doesn't have air suspension and therefore a discount was applied) and got the extra performance for free I'm in no position whatsoever to be sore about anything.

• Love
Reactions: Mark77a and Krash
Long story short, in early October I was told to not use the car for a couple of hours whilst the Mothership noodled around with my config. Less than an hour later, I got an e-mail saying they'd essentially downloaded another 100hp into the car and could I test it. I did, and they had :D I was subsequently told this was an oversight that the car had been delivered with the wrong software config. From what I could work out, it was a config change and the staging and install of the latest software - that's it. That process updated the battery's max current limit as well as the inverter power curves, and all was good.

So essentially the car should have been delivered uncorked but wasn’t, so they did it for you. Fair play and quite right, as otherwise cars like mine which are older but have also been uncorked would have a material advantage over yours. And it makes quite a bit of difference to the off the line acceleration!

So my SC told me that it couldn't be uncorked and gave me back my car.

I asked for the logs of what had been done and confirmation that they had done a diagnostic to check that uncorking was not possible.

I got the car back (slightly disappointed that the uncorking had not been possible) and waited for the details.

Yesterday I drove the car for the first time since the snow has cleared and it did feel nippy.

Today I get a call confirming the diagnostic had been done and that the uncork was snot possible.

Shortly after I was sent the service log:

uncork.JPG

I have yet to drive it again but it looks like my drive home may be fun.

Thanks all for the support and advice fingers crossed it really is uncorked.

Alex

I asked for the logs of what had been done and confirmation that they had done a diagnostic to check that uncorking was not possible.

I got the car back (slightly disappointed that the uncorking had not been possible) and waited for the details.

Yesterday I drove the car for the first time since the snow has cleared and it did feel nippy.

Today I get a call confirming the diagnostic had been done and that the uncork was snot possible.

View attachment 284936

Alex
It says, "Isensor" ... anyone know what that is, or what it means if/when it is above, below, or at "4"?

View attachment 284936

Alex

Excellent news! The acid test is the "PT BMS ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER" as you've shown above. That needs to report a number greater than 3 (for a 75D), which it has as shown for you. This means you can be uncorked and have been by the look of it!

You will know straight away when you put your foot down. You could downloadan app that takes the data from the car and measure the kW output, or if you have TeslaFi look at the raw data and "perf config" will be P1, which is uncorked. P3 is corked.