Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upgraded charger??........go one then, enlighten me, what does this do and what do I need to buy (for home charging) to take advantage of it? Sorry to thread hijack
Not positive but I think it allows charging at up to 72A - twice as fast as normal.
72A instead of 48A max (so not 1.5x, not twice). You will need HPWC charger installed on 100A circuit to take full advantage of it or Level 2 EV AC charger that can supply 72A.

72A instead of 48A max (so not 1.5x, not twice). You will need HPWC charger installed on 100A circuit to take full advantage of it or Level 2 EV AC charger that can supply 72A.

There are a fair number of Tesla destination chargers (which are essentially HPWCs) that are set up for 80A, so if you're planning trips that involve stopping at destination chargers, the higher capacity charger might be a good thing, even if you don't have that ability at home.

• Informative
Reactions: sparkypete
upgraded charger??........go one then, enlighten me, what does this do and what do I need to buy (for home charging) to take advantage of it? Sorry to thread hijack

Where is it said the on-board charger was upgraded? I know the DU is upgraded and that includes probably the inverter, but charger? That is news to me.

Can you find the source for this?

I wish Tesla would have at least alerted us folks who just took delivery of our 60/75s that a performance upgrade was in the works. I pray that the software update alone can get us to the high 4s in the 0-60. Or, allow us to pay a small price for the hardware installation at the service center. It's not the end of the world but 1.3 seconds shaved is a lot! I remember when Tesla limited the ludicrous launches and the owners were up in arms. Let's see if we can get enough of the HW2 folks to complain until something is done.

I used to think that they might make old cars faster, but now I know they will not.

They have a history of making old cars slower.. not faster. Why increase the warranty claims?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I've seen a post for a zero to sixty (w/ 1ft roll out) of 4.2 secs for an S85D back in Dec, 2016. So maybe they're just pulling more current from the 75Kwh packs now by using the upgraded inconel contactors and smart fuses to compensate for the lower voltage of the pack. The packs have as many cells in parallel as an 85 or 90 Kwh pack so should be able to source 1500 amps.

Last edited:
For me the motor change makes the base 75 a very appealing sports sedan, with the dynamic benefits of RWD including correct weight distribution and ability to rotate a bit on turns. It's as fast as a 2017 BMW 550i. Someone needs to test 40-60 passing times.
I've driven both and the D is definitely more of a performance car. The 75d actually has close to 50/50 weight distribution. The RWD lacks performance in cornering as the traction control limits power and I don't think you can turn it off without pulling a fuse. It also feels a bit spongy and loose. The one benefit that the RWD has is lighter weight which makes for slightly faster when you floor it on the freeway at say 40mph. In saying all this I still agree that the 75 is an amazing performance car but I bought the 75d as it was clearly better in my opinion

Reactions: DIL
You are right if you print the configured spec sheet it indeed shows the high Amp charger while not changing the spec sheet of the ordered car on MyTesla. The plot thickens. Bit of a surprise package this...
I still have to question this. Indeed my spec sheet has changed from when I ordered the 90D, but only to include free supercharging. Nowhere is there mention of High Amp charger. Or will there be a different spec sheet available once the car enters production?

I've emailed my DS to get clarification, we'll see what happens from there.

Here's what I have for now.
34916371154_e9ea27bfe4_b.jpg
Model S 90D Spec Sheet
Model S 90D Spec Sheet.jpg

I just took my X into service and I believe the loaners are this new X75D and the acceleration difference is noticeable. Much snappier responsiveness and reminds me more of an S90D that I drove last time my X was in for service. Makes you feel more like you are driving a car with the responsiveness. If this is whats in the model 3 with lighter car, its going to be spooky agile.

Reactions: Dan60D
I've driven both and the D is definitely more of a performance car.

I disagree. I drove both and preferred the S. Sports cars are RWD for a reason. It depends on what you're looking for but coming from a Porsche I was impressed with the feel and performance. The steering was certainly not spongy in sport mode. Plenty of traction too. I'd read others saying that and was worried but was very pleasantly surprised when I drove it.

I just took my X into service and I believe the loaners are this new X75D and the acceleration difference is noticeable. Much snappier responsiveness and reminds me more of an S90D that I drove last time my X was in for service. Makes you feel more like you are driving a car with the responsiveness. If this is whats in the model 3 with lighter car, its going to be spooky agile.

According to Tesla this DU has only been placed in cars with a build date later than July 1. Hardly probable that your service center has loaners that rolled off the line just a couple days ago.

According to Tesla this DU has only been placed in cars with a build date later than July 1. Hardly probable that your service center has loaners that rolled off the line just a couple days ago.

It could be that they put the initial run into test drive/demo cars and wanted to set expectations for folks. Maybe there is something wrong with my drive-train. I will ask them when I go to pickup. But to me, it drove more like an S90D that I just had as a loaner and is an X75D, so I would assume its the new DU.