Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that 400kw is not 691hp. That was my whole point. The 691hp is an equivalent. The car is equivalent to 700+hp cars quoted by the rest of the auto industry

Not from 100km/h to 250km/h. From 100km/h to 250km/h P85D is equivalent to 463hp by the rest of the auto industry

beating_a_dead_horse_by_potatoehuman-d3fead4.jpg

(referencing someone else)...tested today 0-100 with my 75D with 85 kWh battery with 95% battery and dry asphalt. I used the Dashboard for Tesla to measure and got 3,844s...

I have the new drive unit and the old BTX5 battery. I am definitely NOT getting sub 5 sec times, much less sub 4.

Incidentally, besides code DU00, my car has code HC00. Anyone know what that is? The inverter code maybe?

I noticed that the car @MrBacardi references has the BTX8 battery but not the new drive unit code.

Last edited:
OK, if there is a rollout it isn't a 0-60 time. By definition "0-60" starts with "0". I don't know what time you get with the rollout, no one does. For some fast cars it's a 6-60 time, others it's a 4-60 time. Each car will be going at a different and unknown speed when timing starts. The only thing known for sure is that absolutely no car can go from standstill to 60 MPH in the 0-60 time that includes that rollout start.

So lets start listing two numbers, the "true 0-60", and then the rollout number.
Companies could still compare their meaningless rollout to 60 times.

Then the rest of us would know how fast a car can go from a standstill to 60 MPH which is the whole idea.

Some poor schmuck is going buy an expensive car actually expecting it to go from zero to 60 in the advertised time. Then he'll call his lawyer.

This is the way it's been for years, and it's a standard by which all cars can be tested. Car & Driver uses the one foot rollout (The Importance of 'Rollout' - Feature) to standardize everything and to ensure accurate timing with electronic optical sensors. It's similar to the 2x4 you buy at home depot that's not actually a 2x4. It is a standard that people know and can understand if they seek out the history of it. As long as all cars use the same standard then differences between those cars can be accurately judged. When companies use different standards then comparisons become difficult.

For real world performance it is probably better to look at the 5-60mph/rolling start which you will see in some car magazines. It's more accurate for real world applications and makes electric cars look even better because manual ICE cars can't drop the clutch.

Reactions: Zoomit
Soo.. I have something to add.

I have a 75D that I picked up in May. I took a picture at delivery and didn't really think about it until now.

The dash is blurry but between the driving log and the dash display at like 7 miles at delivery...

My 75D put out over 900 wh/mi when the factory did the quality control check and motor test. I believe the blurry display shows 967 wh/mi.

It is my belief that the power output of the 75D is definitely software restricted. I think they run the tests then flash the software right away.

I think I can only get a little over 400 wh/mi right now under full throttle going up hill.

Does anyone else have similar results?

Attachments

• IMG_20170725_144431.jpg
    IMG_20170725_144431.jpg
    826 KB · Views: 128

I have a 75D that I picked up in May. I took a picture at delivery and didn't really think about it until now.

The dash is blurry but between the driving log and the dash display at like 7 miles at delivery...

My 75D put out over 900 wh/mi when the factory did the quality control check and motor test. I believe the blurry display shows 967 wh/mi.

It is my belief that the power output of the 75D is definitely software restricted. I think they run the tests then flash the software right away.

I think I can only get a little over 400 wh/mi right now under full throttle going up hill.

It would be funny if the New Drive Unit was just a nerfed old Drive Unit.

Also it appears I have a poor assumption here. Wh/mi is not the same as Kw output by the motors.

Id be curious what the procedure is during preflight testing

There are hypothetically two drivers to the performance increase: Better Drive Units and 85kwh battery. The drive unit and software upgrade is probably the exclusive driver.

1) Better Drive Units. These were released into production mid to late June seems to be the prominent driver since the new batteries are not on all vehicles after July. There was an announcement on July 1 that all vehicles produced after this date had the performance updates. I always thought performance was limited by the output of the battery so the drive unit must somehow use the power more effectively.

2) A new 85kwh battery. 75kwh Tesla's with 85kwh batteries are being slowly released into production. This was shown from the very recent new inventory models with a BTX7 (85kwh) and BR05 (upgradable) codes. The old models have BTX5 (75kwh) and BR00 (non-upgradeable). Since we expect a 5-10% increase in battery sizes per year, this is an expected update for Tesla.
BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

Since not all vehicles produced after July 1 have the new battery, the performance is probably exclusively from the drive unit and possible software upgrade. If you have delivery in July, you will most likely have the better drive unit but not the new battery. I'm assuming on August deliveries and after will have the new battery. Unfortunately, I think I was stuck in this transition period and have the DU and not the battery update.

With the new battery change, it makes sense for Tesla to discount the 90D to below the 75D price range since they will now have similar capacities but the 90D's have less features.

I had an early June loaner X75D that definitely had better acceleration then my Dec. 2016 X75D. It was undeniably noticable and comparable to an S90D loaner I had a week prior. The service center had just recently received 10 of them but it already had 600 miles on it so they must have had for atleast a week, which would have meant it was built in May. Though they might have wanted the first ones to go as loaner/demo cars for the biggest impact and customers orders are were fulfilled after the service centers and stores were stocked up.