Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla when the enhanced performance was announced and Tesla told me I already have the required hardware and will be getting a SW update near future. When I brought in my 75D this morning for an interior problem, the Tech guy tells me there is an Firmware update for Uncorking the performance and I will get it today. I will post the result when I pick up my car.

CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR REPORT SIMON!

That is the firmware already out. This uncorking could be unrelated to firmware like when my 60D was unlocked to 75D -- it was sent OTA but didn't update the firmware. It updated the car's internal system.

Thanks - I didn't think that the firmware version had changed. The car was gone for around 90min while they performed the update.

How do I find the build date of an inventory car? Would be good to understand whether it was made after the motor changes came in mid June.

I picked up my Model S 75D yesterday (UK inventory so unlikely to have been built after 1 July - how do I confirm this?) and was called back by Tesla Service centre today requesting that I drop my car off as they have missed applying a firmware update to 'uncork the performance'. I don't have a huge amount of experience of the performance before upgrade but it definately felt swifter on the way back home.

Firmware version showing as 2017.28 c528869

Interestingly, I've just noticed that my S 75 D seems to be fitted with the 85kWh battery. The same part number as in the Electrek article earlier in the week. At the time, that article said those had only been seen in Norway but they've clearly made it to the UK as well.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
That is the firmware already out. This uncorking could be unrelated to firmware like when my 60D was unlocked to 75D -- it was sent OTA but didn't update the firmware. It updated the car's internal system.
Funny, Tesla is uncorking the performance on my 75D today. Just got a notification on my phone app saying my firmware is updated to 2017.28 c528869 which I already had it on my 75D. I guess the firmware has to be reinstalled after the uncorking? I will validate this when I pick it up from service.

Well what are you waiting for? Put a photo of the battery sticker here! ;)

You mean like this? :)

IMG_0072.JPG

@turbosimon Both Norway and UK...

Could be that Tesla prioritized putting the 85 kWh batteries into international delivery cars, because those are the one's that would otherwise most easily get obsoleted before taking delivery (due to long delivery times that often span two quarters)? In the U.S. they can probably get away with making/shipping 75 kWh a bit longer...

Unless this, of course, is just an exercise to get rid of some old 85 kWh battery stock. In which case your guess is as good as mine...

If new-made 85 kWh batteries really are being sent with international orders (software limited to 75 kWh), then the old-stock theory is out and it is pretty much a sealed deal IMO that 85 kWh Model S/X is coming soon - perhaps as soon as tomorrow on Model 3 launch to keep Model S's edge on range compared to the smaller and nimbler Model 3 (larger battery variant)...

In the meanwhile, Tesla's quarterly optimization operation would have made sure most 75 kWh's in the delivery pipeline are software upgradeable to 85 kWh...

Reactions: Bluejuice
I
If new-made 85 kWh batteries really are being sent with international orders (software limited to 75 kWh), then the old-stock theory is out and it is pretty much a sealed deal IMO that 85 kWh Model S/X is coming soon - perhaps as soon as tomorrow on Model 3 launch to keep Model S's edge on range compared to the smaller and nimbler Model 3 (larger battery variant)...

In the meanwhile, Tesla's quarterly optimization operation would have made sure most 75 kWh's in the delivery pipeline are software upgradeable to 85 kWh...

I agree and hope you are right!

Just received Service Invoice for my 75D with the comment below and I will be on my to pick it up shortly.

Concern: Customer request uncork the battery upgrade.
Corrections: Vehicle Configuration Update performed configured change per article
Pay Type: Warranty

"Customer requests uncork" has to be the best RO in the history of automotive service departments.

Picked up my 75D from service after it was uncorked and drove it home just now.......Oh Yes! Much quicker off the line. Definitely the uncorking did the trick. As I posted earlier, my service invoice shows this. Now I have to be extra careful not to get a speeding ticket.

Corrections: Vehicle Configuration Update performed configured change per article

Picked up my 75D from service after it was uncorked and drove it home just now.......Oh Yes! Much quicker off the line. Definitely the uncorking did the trick. As I posted earlier, my service invoice shows this. Now I have to be extra careful not to get a speeding ticket.

Very lucky guy. The 400V battery is a sweet perk because you can supercharge faster too.