Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Y
@Krash - yes, correct it is not likely on Tesla's radar.

Also, the 85D achieves a ~4 s 0-60 anyway so I don't believe it would benefit. But old non-perf 75 kWh, 85 kWh, and software locked 60 kWh would technically be compatible with this change, no?
Yep. They could unlock a 40, but I don't think they will. The farther back they go the more trouble and warranty liability they incur.

Have you compared max battery power with those that have the new DU?

Here is the maximum battery and motor power for each type of Model S ... :cool: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

upload_2017-8-22_20-6-1.png

I took delivery of my car July 17th, but was ordered late April. They said they can upgrade my performance but need me to bring it in. I have an appointment this Saturday at the service center. They said it was a firmware update and would take an hour to complete and an engineer needs to stay with the car during to update to prevent it from going into sleep mode during the upgrade.

Is this Tesla Highland Park? I was just there, I should've asked them.

Some measurements with the "Dashboard foor Tesla" app for Android:

Specs: S75D, 85kwh 400v battery (BTX8), produced in april, delivered end of June 2017, FW 2017.32
0-100kph: 5,25s
0-60mph: 5,00s
Max power: 298kwh (399hp)
SOC: 70%

So my car doesn't have the updated performance.

Some measurements with the "Dashboard foor Tesla" app for Android:

Specs: S75D, 85kwh 400v battery (BTX8), produced in april, delivered end of June 2017, FW 2017.32
0-100kph: 5,25s
0-60mph: 5,00s
Max power: 298kwh (399hp)
SOC: 70%

So my car doesn't have the updated performance.

Sounds about right. Unless your car is built after mid June, you won't get the new perf. Tesla has officially stated this.

I think the whole "some 75 cars shipped with 85 packs" is a red herring, and probably has nothing to do with the updated perf.

Here is the maximum battery and motor power for each type of Model S ... :cool: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

View attachment 243174

I'm actually interested in the actual measured value for @rsan. He claims his build has the old DU, but has the improved performance. Rather than rely on "approx 4.5 s" I'd be more comfortable seeing that his power performance matches that of uncorked 75 models. Tesla definitely underrated the non-perf models on the spec sheets. For instance the S85 does 0-60 in <5 s, and it is reasonable to expect that the 75 achieved this as well even without the uncork.

It's possible that once you unlock the 85kwh, you will get faster 0-60 without unquorking

Unlikely. The software limited 60 had the same performance of the 75, with or without unlocking.

Sounds about right. Unless your car is built after mid June, you won't get the new perf. Tesla has officially stated this.

I think the whole "some 75 cars shipped with 85 packs" is a red herring, and probably has nothing to do with the updated perf.

Can you please refer to that specific statement and does that include 75d or only rear wheel drive? The latest newsletter stated it differently or a bit unclear. Some tesla owners also states different.

Fyi, just received this email from Tesla.
upload_2017-8-23_16-21-32.png

"In addition new, test drive and inventory Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles received an over‑the‑air software update and now have improved performance, with the ability to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph one second faster."

Reactions: Proxlamus
View attachment 243245

"In addition new, test drive and inventory Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles received an over‑the‑air software update and now have improved performance, with the ability to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph one second faster."
So they actually updated the text since I recieved it. Earlier letters states: "In addition, new Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles received an over-the-air software update and now have improved performance, with the ability to accelerate from zero to 60 mph one second faster."

The updated newsletter actually makes it even more SW leaning in my opinion.

Reactions: Proxlamus
The updated newsletter actually makes it even more SW leaning in my opinion.

I would tend to agree, they realized they needed to move the S75/D inventory and this latest email says they can "uncork" inventory, much of which is probably built way before mid June.

As someone who purchased an inventory 90D recently (build date March 2017), I'd like some increased performance as well. There are obvious forces at play here. Tesla can improve performance via OTA update (They've done so before), but they must weight that option with drive train wear and warranty claim liability. (I'm sure they are tired of replacing DU at this point).

That said, I would love for them to do the math, and then offer some speed upgrades for non P owners at a price that still allows them to come out ahead after the projected increased warranty cost.

Reactions: Swift and Dan60D
From the new email it seems that the cars have already received the update. My July 24th build date car certainly has the new performance.

What's interesting is when I was picking inventory cars to buy, and not all of them were eligible for the perf upgrade. (I specifically picked one that was)

Not sure how they can go back and 'update' those cars except for the fact that if they do indeed need new HW, they will get HW updated before delivery.

View attachment 243245

In Germany / Luxembourg they went even one step further and got rid of mentioning anything about new, etc.. Just received the email yesterday saying:

"In addition Model S and Model X 75 kWh vehicles now have improved performance due to an over‑the‑air software update, with the ability to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h one second faster."

Bildschirmfoto 2017-08-23 um 19.19.30.png

Reactions: Proxlamus and Swift
I would tend to agree, they realized they needed to move the S75/D inventory and this latest email says they can "uncork" inventory, much of which is probably built way before mid June.

As someone who purchased an inventory 90D recently (build date March 2017), I'd like some increased performance as well. There are obvious forces at play here. Tesla can improve performance via OTA update (They've done so before), but they must weight that option with drive train wear and warranty claim liability. (I'm sure they are tired of replacing DU at this point).

That said, I would love for them to do the math, and then offer some speed upgrades for non P owners at a price that still allows them to come out ahead after the projected increased warranty cost.

The 90D has similar, if not better performance than a P85. Even though your car is not labeled as a perf model, it certainly already has the capabilities of one.