Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called the sales number regarding this inventory vehicle. They confirmed the build date was April 15. When I asked about upgraded performance, he initially told me that it would probably not be "uncorked". However, he made a quick call and then confirmed that the performance had been upgraded and was showing it in the system.

Unfortunately, I then asked about getting my newer 75D (May build) upgraded and even offered to pay for it, but was told yet again that it "isn't possible". Seems like a blatant lie at this point. Completely agree with the "got what you paid for" logic, but if older inventory vehicles are being upgraded, then current owners are being penalized for writing Tesla a $90k check (for the exact same vehicle) a few months earlier.

At this point, our best bet is probably to bombard management with support inquiries "escalated for executive review" on the My Tesla site and hope they do the right thing for their "valued" Model S/X customers.

At this point, our best bet is probably to bombard management with support inquiries "escalated for executive review" on the My Tesla site and hope they do the right thing for their "valued" Model S/X customers.
If you can hold off on this for a week I may get an answer. I have an informal escalation going that may shed some light on it.

I called the sales number regarding this inventory vehicle. They confirmed the build date was April 15. When I asked about upgraded performance, he initially told me that it would probably not be "uncorked". However, he made a quick call and then confirmed that the performance had been upgraded and was showing it in the system.

Unfortunately, I then asked about getting my newer 75D (May build) upgraded and even offered to pay for it, but was told yet again that it "isn't possible". Seems like a blatant lie at this point. Completely agree with the "got what you paid for" logic, but if older inventory vehicles are being upgraded, then current owners are being penalized for writing Tesla a $90k check (for the exact same vehicle) a few months earlier.

Which sales number did you call?

More evidence that this is really a software upgrade. Sure they may have made DU changes that allow it to support the power level with higher reliability. They just don't care about making the pot sweeter if they already have your money. My point was that although I got the car I paid for, I would pay more to unlock a little more speed and this could be a revenue opportunity for Tesla (win-win).

Yes the 90D already does ~4.2s 0-60 but how about a little more power? I'd pay 7.5k for an upgrade to put me into the high-mid 3s. This is an opportunity for Tesla to make more money off the existing fleet... They just need to do the math on the extra power vs warranty costs.

It means that ALL S75D, even the pre-june 2017 have the 1s performance increase?

I am going to try to answer questions here rather than on the metrics thread. As many of us have been saying, it is likely any 75 could get an increase, if Tesla engineering enabled it. Tesla has been expanding offering it to a wider group of cars for free and has not elaborated on when or if this expansion will stop and whether, if they stop expanding for free, they would offer a paid performance increase option.

I am going to try to answer questions here rather than on the metrics thread. As many of us have been saying, it is likely any 75 could get an increase, if Tesla engineering enabled it. Tesla has been expanding offering it to a wider group of cars for free and has not elaborated on when or if this expansion will stop and whether, if they stop expanding for free, they would offer a paid performance increase option.

Although a paid option to uncork is better than nothing, there are people like myself who in mid June walked into a Tesla store to order a vehicle only to be persuaded to buy an inventory vehicle with 6 miles for barely a discount. They pressured hard to sell that inventory vehicle, which was similar to one we specced out, so Tesla could make their Q2 numbers. They knew that if I ordered, I wouldn't take delivery until at earliest Q3. Fast forward less than a month later, we found out that the newly built ones come with increased performance. For Tesla to say no more performance upgrade even when there are vehicles made prior having such upgrades miffs me quite a bit.

If there is no HW difference then I would not be happy :mad:paying for the uncorking , if a SC visit is required and some minor FW/HW work is required then I might be willing to pay for the improved performance....should only be a small upcharge ....at a minimum all owners with pre July 2017 75 and 75D builds should be given a clear answer from Tesla whether or not the vehicle can be upgraded...

In the ICE world gaining a second would cost mega $$$. The thought that a few software/hardware tweaks can improve performance so much is a brave new world and will ultimately affect the aftermarket performance shops of the World. As EVs increase in numbers and become the "performance vehicle of choice" what will happen to 1000s of performance shops, companies that produce performance tech and mechanics/tuners?

Or do you think that a new enterprise of tech geniuses will emerge and be able to provide a service outside of Tesla to enable improvements?

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
Yes the 90D already does ~4.2s 0-60 but how about a little more power? I'd pay 7.5k for an upgrade to put me into the high-mid 3s. This is an opportunity for Tesla to make more money off the existing fleet... They just need to do the math on the extra power vs warranty costs.

You might already be there. The S85 is rated by Tesla to do 0-60 in 5.4 s. Turns out, with ~45% SOC, it clocks in at 4.9 s. Your 90D could very well be a half second faster than Tesla claims.

Reactions: Dan60D
Does the dash power gauge display any different with the updated performance cars? Does it still show only 200kw or equivalent like attached?

Power Gauge 75D.png

This! As I understand it, the 90D with a 4.2 0-60 has an exponential scale graded at 75/150/300. If there are 75Ds now showing this new scale, it'd be a great as it should be an obvious "has it been uncorked" check for my as-yet-undelivered mid-June build that I'm picking up on the 5th... Everyone says it is uncorked - both in person at the Tesla store and via e-mail support, but having that visual confirmation would be lovely.

DU00/BTX5, incidentally...

The 90D has similar, if not better performance than a P85. Even though your car is not labeled as a perf model, it certainly already has the capabilities of one.

My 90D is in-transit right now. Unsure of build date, but am checking with OA (if that matters). I'd love to know that my car has P85 levels of performance... is there data/proof of this somewhere I could find?

Thank you.