Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newer packs, including the 100 packs and newer 90/75 packs, have a 12V standby supply inside the pack that is used by the X and newer S's (started a little before the refresh IIRC). This doesnt replace the 12V battery, it just provides separate 12V power to the MCU and the body control module while the main pack contactors are open so that the 12V battery and the main pack contactors don't get cycled as much.

Could you elaborate a bit about this?
Is there a separate (regulated?) 12V feed available from the low voltage connector on the packs?
And it is wired separately from the regular 12V supply (SLA battery, HV DC-DC converter) with dedicated feeds into the MCU and body control module?

disappointing if they don't roll out an update for all 75D owners now there isn't any incentive to nerf us any slower than 4.2s anymore!

PLEASE! You paid for exactly the amount of performance you got in your lower spec 75D. If you wanted the power back at purchase time, you had that choice. Leaning on Tesla now to undo your purchase mistake and otherwise suggesting Tesla owe you something is truly pathetic. Yes, downvote at will, but that is my opinion, just like you have your own opinion.

PLEASE! You paid for exactly the amount of performance you got in your lower spec 75D. If you wanted the power back at purchase time, you had that choice. Leaning on Tesla now to undo your purchase mistake and otherwise suggesting Tesla owe you something is truly pathetic. Yes, downvote at will, but that is my opinion, just like you have your own opinion.

I don't think Tesla owes me anything, other than the EAP I paid for.

IMG_0212.PNG

If an update is available via software, I think this suggests you'd be entitled to it.

Also, I believe the 5B indicates that the front left module in the battery pack is a brick with 5 cell groups and not 6. Supposedly they made a special module for that area that is missing cells in the front to improve performance in the overlap crash test.

I recently tore down a pack that had this... had something like 26 dummy cells with like 5 bond wires on them each for the missing group of cells.

Edit:
Can't seem to find the full res pics of this, but:
75kwh%20front%20left%20module.jpg

75kwh%20dummy%20cell%20bond%20wires.jpg

Initially I was kind of outraged, since Tesla had yet again done something sneaky (reduced pack capacity) without telling anyone. It is true, these newer 75 packs have about 1% less capacity, and Tesla never mentions this to anyone. I do also find it sneaky that they do this with the 75 packs, but none of the others... do the higher end models not get overlap crash tested? And what about an overlap crash on the right side? Guess it doesn't matter since that's not tested... lol

*shrugs*

Last edited:

You are right.

On the other hand it is absolutely, completely, and wholly my car now. It is my battery pack that is crammed with my little batteries, those are my powerful drive motors. I own every wire, nut, bolt, processor, screen, panel, door, window, sticker, and tire in that car. So if my assembled collection of pieces is capable of a little better performance, well I'd like them to go ahead and make it a little quicker.

Tesla is now the previous owner. If they have slowed it down in software, it is time to release the beast so I can enjoy it. I'll take care of it. Like an expensive racehorse, I'll run it but carefully and not too much. I'll not let it get overheated. And I'll appreciate it for the fine machine that it is. But to keep it hobbled, loaded with potential and never able to run full out, that would be a shame.

There are hypothetically two drivers to the performance increase: Better Drive Units and 85kwh battery. The drive unit and software upgrade is probably the exclusive driver.

1) Better Drive Units. These were released into production mid to late June seems to be the prominent driver since the new batteries are not on all vehicles after July. There was an announcement on July 1 that all vehicles produced after this date had the performance updates. I always thought performance was limited by the output of the battery so the drive unit must somehow use the power more effectively.

2) A new 85kwh battery. 75kwh Tesla's with 85kwh batteries are being slowly released into production. This was shown from the very recent new inventory models with a BTX7 (85kwh) and BR05 (upgradable) codes. The old models have BTX5 (75kwh) and BR00 (non-upgradeable). Since we expect a 5-10% increase in battery sizes per year, this is an expected update for Tesla.
BTX8 battery-code on a 75D... or is it a 85D

Since not all vehicles produced after July 1 have the new battery, the performance is probably exclusively from the drive unit and possible software upgrade. If you have delivery in July, you will most likely have the better drive unit but not the new battery. I'm assuming on August deliveries and after will have the new battery. Unfortunately, I think I was stuck in this transition period and have the DU and not the battery update.

With the new battery change, it makes sense for Tesla to discount the 90D to below the 75D price range since they will now have similar capacities but the 90D's have less features.

There are hypothetically two drivers to the performance increase: Better Drive Units and 85kwh battery. The drive unit and software upgrade is probably the exclusive driver.

1) Better Drive Units. These were released into production mid to late June seems to be the prominent driver since the new batteries are not on all vehicles after July. There was an announcement on July 1 that all vehicles produced after this date had the performance updates. I always thought performance was limited by the output of the battery so the drive unit must somehow use the power more effectively.

Hard for me to believe. 75Ds had the same drive unit as 90Ds, which was able to handle the power. I truly think the "old" 75D is simply nerfed via software.

The 100D should have seen a massive gain if the drive unit was that much more efficient?

Hard for me to believe. 75Ds had the same drive unit as 90Ds, which was able to handle the power. I truly think the "old" 75D is simply nerfed via software.

The 100D should have seen a massive gain if the drive unit was that much more efficient?

I would be very happy if there was a software update on all 75D's to increase the acceleration (maybe it will help by .5s)? If there was a limit, Tesla wanted to differentiate the 75D vs 100D. The Model 3 changes this equation.

The 100D is probably limited so it doesn't compete with the P100D. Low 4s is probably a reasonable limit to compete with other vehicles in the class such as the BMW 650i or the Audi S7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anssi
And what about an overlap crash on the right side? Guess it doesn't matter since that's not tested... lol

I can't remember if it was Nissan, or Toyota or Honda, that put re-enforcement on the driver's side to improve the small overlap crash test results, and they didn't do the same thing to the passenger's side. Only the driver's side is tested, and the driver's side is always occupied, but it would make sense that they should do both side for these things. (Of course head on small overlap would be driver's side to driver's side.)

Initially I was kind of outraged, since Tesla had yet again done something sneaky (reduced pack capacity) without telling anyone. It is true, these newer 75 packs have about 1% less capacity, and Tesla never mentions this to anyone. I do also find it sneaky that they do this with the 75 packs, but none of the others... do the higher end models not get overlap crash tested? And what about an overlap crash on the right side? Guess it doesn't matter since that's not tested... lol

Tuning the car to beat the test, regardless of the outcome in the real world... Tesla hired Volkswagen engineers?

I can't remember if it was Nissan, or Toyota or Honda, that put re-enforcement on the driver's side to improve the small overlap crash test results, and they didn't do the same thing to the passenger's side. Only the driver's side is tested, and the driver's side is always occupied, but it would make sense that they should do both side for these things. (Of course head on small overlap would be driver's side to driver's side.)
Prius

Confirmed: Toyota only reinforced one side of the Prius (photos inside)