Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think any SW speed upgrades will be more like 5-7.5k. 2k is a pipe dream, no way that's worth it to Tesla considering the possible warranty liability.

I hope they offer it for a price that makes them some profit and is a win win...

You might be right. But we have no idea what the potential warranty liability is at this point. We're not even 100% sure it's possible, so no way to know the implications. Personally I would not pay $5k. But $1-2k I think I would. It would be hard to convince my wife at $2k, but it would be a non-starter at $5k. "You want to pay money so you can drive like a maniac and risk your life???"

Tesla does have a history of this with the battery capacity, and I'm liking the situation to that one.

Now if Tesla upgraded a big number of older, say all 2017 manufactured S75D, for FREE, then the marketing value around that is enormous. Potentially worth way more than the $2k/$5k/$7.5k/whatever that people might otherwise pay. Imagine the headlines "Tesla increases 0-60 performance by 1s for all 2017 cars on the road, OTA, for FREE!" This would be absolutely groundbreaking in the automotive world. It's one thing to add new features. It's a whole other to make massive performance improvements.

Anyway... all just speculation for the fun of it.

Didn't tesla already clearly communicate that older cars are not upgradable?
Their marketing statements (especially in other geographies) are actually not clear. Specifically as they appear to be inclusive of older new inventory cars.

The fact that they also appear to be updating a number of older new inventory cars would make it seem that they could do the same for customer cars, especially those who bought ones manufactured at the same time as the older new inventory ones that are being updated.

Tesla brings this on itself by not realizing its customers are not stupid and by not anticipating this obvious reaction. No wonder there is a >1,200 post thread as a result.

Didn't tesla already clearly communicate that older cars are not upgradable?

Tesla is incapable of clear communication, so, no.

They merely said the 4.1s time was only available with a combination of hardware and software. 4.4s or 4.6s or whatever is likely with just an increase in amperage from the battery using the same exact hardware. All S75s (and software locked 60s) should be able to do much more with just a flick of a switch.

Reactions: Dan60D and Rbcnr
You might be right. But we have no idea what the potential warranty liability is at this point. We're not even 100% sure it's possible, so no way to know the implications. Personally I would not pay $5k. But $1-2k I think I would. It would be hard to convince my wife at $2k, but it would be a non-starter at $5k. "You want to pay money so you can drive like a maniac and risk your life???"

Tesla does have a history of this with the battery capacity, and I'm liking the situation to that one.

Now if Tesla upgraded a big number of older, say all 2017 manufactured S75D, for FREE, then the marketing value around that is enormous. Potentially worth way more than the $2k/$5k/$7.5k/whatever that people might otherwise pay. Imagine the headlines "Tesla increases 0-60 performance by 1s for all 2017 cars on the road, OTA, for FREE!" This would be absolutely groundbreaking in the automotive world. It's one thing to add new features. It's a whole other to make massive performance improvements.

So much for tesla not having model years. With that statement are they not also telling everyone not to buy in q4?

I think only fix is speeding up 2016 cars too.

• Funny
Reactions: Jack Tripper

Tesla wants you to trade in to boost their quarterly number. That's why they specifically mentioned it's a software/hardware change (bs). Imagine trading in your 2017.5 for a 2017.1 inventory that's actually faster than your newer build. Holy sh*t that's groundbreaking!

• Funny
Reactions: Anssi and Swift
I just took delivery of a new inventory model s 75d built in may vin197xxx. After calling tesla several times and getting different answers I finally decided to get PowerTools and test the car. I'm getting 4.2s 0-60! This makes me feel better after being told a few times from tesla that my car was to old.

Great are you in the US? What's your max kw output? Was it a direct delivery or did you pickup at an SC?

I brought my car in on Saturday to get uncorked but did a test 0-60 run with powertools on my way in before the uncorking and found that I was getting 4.5s 0-60. The car was there all day for the uncorking and when I did a test run afterwards I got the same results. The (somewhat) interesting thing to me is that they didn't seem to have a good way to know I already had the performance and spent the time doing it. It's not as though they told me it wasn't needed. They just confirmed they successfully installed the firmware to uncork the performance.

Attachments

• IMG_3125.PNG
    IMG_3125.PNG
    754.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Informative
Reactions: Anssi
I brought my car in on Saturday to get uncorked but did a test 0-60 run with powertools on my way in before the uncorking and found that I was getting 4.5s 0-60. The car was there all day for the uncorking and when I did a test run afterwards I got the same results. The (somewhat) interesting thing to me is that they didn't seem to have a good way to know I already had the performance and spent the time doing it. It's not as though they told me it wasn't needed. They just confirmed they successfully installed the firmware to uncork the performance.

Do you have any paperwork from the service center?

Reactions: jjh1234
Did you have the climate control on?