Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point is if you can increase the performance on the old drive train, i'm guessing it would be possible on the new drive train.
Well we have a debate running about whether you can get 3.3 second 0-60 times from the new drive unit with a bigger battery. We may know in a few hours when CL600 picks up the 3.3 advertised S100D. My vote is that it does go that fast, just not until a later uncorking.

Had my 75D in for its annual service on Friday (30,000km and 12 months) and was given a brand new 75D loaner VIN201332.

Big difference in performance, wow a second does make a difference!!!!.... so wish I could uncork my older car.

P.S nice to see Tesla extend the range for 60D owners down Florida way to help them get out of trouble!!!!

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Well we have a debate running about whether you can get 3.3 second 0-60 times from the new drive unit with a bigger battery. We may know in a few hours when CL600 picks up the 3.3 advertised S100D. My vote is that it does go that fast, just not until a later uncorking.
I went for a quick service on Thursday and get a loaner 100D for a day with VIN 201xxx. I felt it is much quicker and responsive than my 75D that has the 4.2s upgrade.i can't test using PowerTools, but push the pedal hard and it felt soooo much faster than 4s. I think Tesla is slowly upgrading Model S in anticipation of Model 3 and further differentiate the Model S and Model 3 in the upcoming months as the getting ready to offer performance version of Model 3 in 2018. My 2 cents.

Hello, UK 75D owner here with BTX5/DU00 that took delivery Tuesday last week. My V5C (registration document) turned up today and it has the following little nugget in field P.2 - not sure if this sheds any light or not:

IMG_2737.jpg

Have yet to do a performance run though...

Hello, UK 75D owner here with BTX5/DU00 that took delivery Tuesday last week. My V5C (registration document) turned up today and it has the following little nugget in field P.2 - not sure if this sheds any light or not:

View attachment 247057
Have yet to do a performance run though...

That's the standard max motor power of all of the non-performance D models.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike75d and croman
My Tesla Service Center (Tesla Highland Park) said my car doesn't qualify and only new hardware cars can go faster than mine. I pointed out the Tesla inventory listings and they insisted all cars either had new hardware or were listed with incorrect 0-60 speeds.

My Tesla Service Center (Tesla Highland Park) said my car doesn't qualify and only new hardware cars can go faster than mine. I pointed out the Tesla inventory listings and they insisted all cars either had new hardware or were listed with incorrect 0-60 speeds.

a few owners on here have already disproved this....look back a few pages and you'll see that "Pandamoanium" VIN 191XXX (build of either april or may).....who received the uncorking....apparently a software update at the SC

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Can anyone give me a TL,DR of the past 75 pages of what I should look for to see if my S75D is uncorkable?

Build date is 03/17

Thus far we know that it's probably possible based on a few anecdotes of people buying inventory 75Ds that were built before the June cutoff.

Also given the drive units are likely identical as the old 85D/90D, we know that those motors can handle the power, and we also know from past examples that Tesla can, via software update increase the current flow from the battery to the motors to increase performance.

All this said, so far everyone (who has posted about it) who has already purchased a 75D before the June cutoff is being told no. The main difference is that Tesla already has their money vs opportunity of a new sale.

Tesla Highland Park...said my car doesn't qualify and only new hardware cars can go faster than mine... they insisted all cars either had new hardware or were listed with incorrect 0-60 speeds.
We have runlogs from six older drive unit but now uncorked cars in the Upgraded Performance Metrics Summary.

a few owners on here have already disproved this....look back a few pages and you'll see that "Pandamoanium" VIN 191XXX (build of either april or may).....who received the uncorking....apparently a software update at the SC
And as Canuck9000 points out we also have Pandamoanium's runlog summary.

It will be nice of you to educate the service center, but they will still not be allowed to unlock your car for you.

Last edited:
does anyone else besides me think that this software update for improved performance may be available to us after the quarter ends (for free or not)?
It would make make sense, they have used all kinds of tricks to increase sales before earnings, free supercharging run out etc. It is important for the company to be profitable. I love my car but I would have sold and upgraded to the new performance spec like many people probably have. I've decided to wait and hopefully keep my car and get the 0-60 update. I remember way back in a thread somebody was told by SC that the old cars would be software updated at the end of August, maybe the Tesla staff member was mistaken and meant September.

My Car: S75D, 196xxx, April/May 2017 Build, delivered 15 May.

Here are my results at asking to be uncorked or information on being uncorked:
OA: "No, the change requires both a hardware and software upgrade/update and is not available on cars made before 1 July."
Local Service Center 1 rep 1: "One document says No, another document is more ambiguous, I'll check for you." <no official response yet>
Local Service Center 1 rep 2: "That update only applies to 75kwh and 100kwh batteries." <???>
Local Service Center 2 rep 1: "I believe the upgrade requires a new drive unit. There's a chance that if you ever need your drive unit replaced, you may get the upgrade then." <Not likely avail for me>

A friend's results (after hearing about my efforts to uncork):
Car: S75D (April 2017 build)
Ordered: 20-25 June?
Delivered: 4 July?
He used the 'Dashboard for Tesla' Android App to clock his 0-60 time. After two runs (90% SOC & later at 60% SOC), he got almost exactly 4.2s each time.

So far everything is pointing at this not being an option for my car. The story across the board in my area is that it absolutely IS a hardware upgrade and there is a corporate resource that is available to see if a car is eligible to be uncorked. When I specifically referenced cars with earlier VINs being uncorked to various employees, the answer was the same: That's cool and all, but most likely not an option for me.

To be clear, I'm not upset and love my car, but I wanted to post this as just more data in the quest to figure out what this performance enhancement really entails.

-DJ

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Since I'm unable to edit posts yet (too few posts), I wanted to add that if any Tesla employee who feels they match one of the individuals listed in my post and have been misrepresented, please let me know next time you see me in person, or call me. I can update my post to reflect a more accurate response from you on this topic if I was off the mark in any way.

-DJ

• Funny
Reactions: Jack Tripper