Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recap of what we (mostly) know so far:
  • All ranges of VINs from the earliest 75D builds (May 2016 to June 2017) are eligible for uncorking (though not all cars are eligible)
  • A small number of cars (VIN range unclear) are ineligible for uncorking due to a missing high voltage fuse in the battery pack (early data shows this may be a small amount of factory delivered 60D's)
  • Some cars that have been upgraded from 60D -> 75D have been successfully uncorked
  • As of now 60Ds show up in the WARP database as ineligible, it is currently unclear if upgrading to 75D will unlock eligibility
  • Some SC are still unaware of the service bulletin that came out last Thursday, however during service the bulletin is listed with your service ticket if your VIN is eligible
  • Some SCs will let you come in just for uncorking, some will require you to make a legitimate appointment for something else before performing the upgrade
  • Uncorking delivers the same (or slightly better) performance as new 75D's rolling off the line currently per Krash's data
  • 60/75s that were built before 6/19 are not eligible for uncorking at this time

Rumors
  • Unverified: An OTA update is coming to uncork cars without needing to come into a SC
  • Unverified: Ranger service can perform the uncork process
  • Unverified: The upgrade will eventually be a paid upgrade
I can confirm rangers are able to perform the update, but it is better to have a stable strong internet connection.

(That's straight from the regional service manager for the bay area)

• Informative
Reactions: BWa75D and Bebop
I have an April 2016 70D (later upgraded to 75d), from all reports, I am not eligible?

There are some reporting they have been told yes and others that have been told no. I would keep asking. Maybe try another service center later in the week when things calm down if it seems like yours isn’t checking the WARP system for your exact VIN. Some are still towing the previous company line about July 1st and later only eligible. Good luck.

It is correct. Some cars were delivered with the updated drive unit and hardware but were delivered corked.

oh sorry - that was new to me. So there is no guarantee then that my car is the fast one already, despite seing the new DU number in the parts code.

Sadly the service centers here in Europe are not very often up to date about such things. Seems i need to have a few timed runs then in spring, when I can switch back to summer tires

So my 172xxx MS 75D was in the SC this weekend because of a "low coolent" issue which was resolved. After reading this thread I called them and they said they had already done the performance software update. I was excited!

I picked up my car last night. I returned a new 75 RWD loaner that had much better acceleration than my "updated" 75D.

The SC email said the update was through the latest firmware. Could it be that they just didn't know it needed a different kind of software? I really feel no difference in acceleration. Is there an iPhone app that can help measure?

So my 172xxx MS 75D was in the SC this weekend because of a "low coolent" issue which was resolved. After reading this thread I called them and they said they had already done the performance software update. I was excited!

I picked up my car last night. I returned a new 75 RWD loaner that had much better acceleration than my "updated" 75D.

The SC email said the update was through the latest firmware. Could it be that they just didn't know it needed a different kind of software? I really feel no difference in acceleration. Is there an iPhone app that can help measure?

You can use the Power Tools app on iOS devices. There may be another app as well, but I’m not familiar with it. Power Tools cost a few bucks, but it works well. I had a S75 RWD as a loaner a few weeks ago. I know what you mean about the performance. It was very peppy and responsive. More so than my 75D. My 75D is in the SC right now for a couple issues, one being uncorking. I’m anxious to see what it drives like after. If it’s like the 100D I’m driving now, I’ll be a happy camper. Even the 100D has a different feel than the 75 RWD. The 100D is a little smoother and refined, whereas the 75 was a little more raw. I can see why some prefer the RWD platform.

this too is my question. A 60d 3/2017 build may not be eligible but why not?? A 75d made at same date is simply an upgraded 60d i thought software wise??? So my guess is that they want you to spend 2k more to update to a 75d and THEN you will be eligible?? Thats silly but apart from unlocking the full battery is there other differences if the build date is the same? to make it ineligible??
My car is March 2017 60D. I called sc today and service advisor checked my vin. It's not showing as eligible but was advised to wait until my appointment before I upgrade to 75D as they may know more by then and that this uncorking older cars is very new to them

Reactions: number12
Sitting in Rockville service center now. ETA from the tech (Adam): a few hours. This place is awesome!

-DJ

If you have questions for the staff here, let me know and I'll queue them up. There are lots of folks working today. It's 10am ET and I'm the fourth already for the upgrade.

View media item 117466

Ask them about the 60Ds. Are they eligible and if they can guarantee the performance increase if we do upgrade to the 75?

Reactions: number12
Sitting in Rockville service center now. ETA from the tech (Adam): a few hours. This place is awesome!

-DJ

If you have questions for the staff here, let me know and I'll queue them up. There are lots of folks working today. It's 10am ET and I'm the fourth already for the upgrade.

View media item 117466

Seems like the consensus is that there are two variations of the 75kwh battery. One is uncorkable and the other not as of yet. What's the battery part number of yours that's getting uncorked now? Will the SC know that battery part number for the ineligible 75Ds?

A small unofficial update:

No word on EU cars.

Right now only 75Ds are approved due to sheer volume of cars this impacts. This could be part of a phased rollout of upgrades, as it is a measurable burden on service centers. Don't abandon hope yet.

-DJ

Thanks to JD Taylor (tesla and spacex fan and photographer) and Graham (service center employee) for keeping me company during this wait. My car is still updating.