Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 75D uncorked this week, but it kinda feels half corked still.

I've done a lot of tests and only get 335 kW and 4.75-5.0s 0-100 kph readings. SoC between 50-80%. Using Dashboard for Tesla on android. Its a new car delivered in sept w DU00.

Anybody else expericence this? Any thoughts on what could be the reason for not more consistent 350kW and 4,4s?

Debating if I should take it in for another try...
Charge it to 100%.

Reactions: croman
@DJP31 and @wk057, I had a few questions and it sounds like you might know a little more detail than what Tesla has been telling me so far. I have a 139XX S 75D that Tesla and the SC said was eligible. When they went to do the update they changed their mind and said that it was not eligible anymore. They said that the PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER for my car is 3 and that is why the update cannot be done. Is this the case or should 3 or greater be eligible for uncorking? The car used to be a 70D and then I upgraded it to 75D. Would that make a difference?

Its odd that its showing ineligible as the google doc list shows similar and older VIN's as being eligible. Tesla Uncorking 75D Tracker

Thanks in advance for your experience on this!

@DJP31 and @wk057, I had a few questions and it sounds like you might know a little more detail than what Tesla has been telling me so far. I have a 139XX S 75D that Tesla and the SC said was eligible. When they went to do the update they changed their mind and said that it was not eligible anymore. They said that the PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER for my car is 3 and that is why the update cannot be done. Is this the case or should 3 or greater be eligible for uncorking? The car used to be a 70D and then I upgraded it to 75D. Would that make a difference?

Its odd that its showing ineligible as the google doc list shows similar and older VIN's as being eligible. Tesla Uncorking 75D Tracker

@wk057 is probably the most if not one of the most knowledgeable people on everything Tesla outside of Tesla's engineers themselves. He was the first to fully hack in to their systems and gain full access. Also provided us with true full breakdowns of battery capacities. If I remember correctly, even created a Powerwall with Tesla recycled batteries. If he doesn't know it nobody does. :p

Also if anyone knows what this PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER means/is that would be awesome!

Reactions: Fiver
I'm gonna try this over the weekend, thank you.

Pardon my ignorance, but is it necessary to have 100% SoC for 4,4s and 350-360kW? Or will charging it to 100% fix the issue of performance drop for lesser SoC?

I was under the impression that most of the uncorked drivers felt the performance increase instantly, almost regardless of the SoC.
There is a very noticeable performance difference almost regardless of SoC, but I have noticed that the power difference is more noticeable through SoC than it was corked. I barely noticed a power difference before regardless of SoC but now that I am uncorked it is quite noticeable to me. YMMV though.

Reactions: croman
Also if anyone knows what this PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER means/is that would be awesome!

This seems to be one of the variables that Tesla tracks on the CAN bus. So PT = power train bus 3. BMS means the battery advertises this value. And I sensor I am guessing means current sensor. Presumably this is an easy way for Tesla to check what hardware is present "under the hood" without having to open up the pack.

If you think about it, the D cars should have the ability to put out twice the power. I am guessing the real limitation at this point is how much power the battery can put out at once. (I am not sure what the battery is rated vs what the motors are rated at to be able to tell you what the true bottle neck is). Theoretically as long as the battery cap is higher than that of one motor, there is nothing Tesla can do to make RWD cars as fast as D cars unless the hold the D cars back. If we go off the assumption that the battery cap is exactly that of both motors combined (neither bottlenecking the other) then the D is capable of twice the power of the RWD vehicles.

If anyone happens to have the rated power of each motor and the battery packs then this will help estimate the theoretical max power for each vehicle and compare the two.

What you're saying is not true. The D models have a smaller rear motor, so it cannot have twice the power. Even the P models, which have the larger rear motors, do not have twice the power since they have the smaller front motor.

But in any case, a purely theoretical argument based on just the motor is not that useful. It's never just about the motors but about the motors and battery and all other components working in unison to produce this power.

It’s an honour to be asked something alongside the legend known as @wk057 but my knowledge on these matters is as good as zero. I bow my head in shame as I struggle to remember the difference between amps and volts.

All I can say is that the diagnostic test above needs to report a value above 3 so they are correct. The VIN list of eligible cars has pretty much been proven to be worthless, although more in terms of misreporting ineligible cars than the other way around appears to be the case for you, unfortunately.

If @wk057 or anyone else than elaborate on what the PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER diagnostic actually reports on we will be very much closer to knowing what the component issue is.

Reactions: calif94577
I've been following this thread since day one and had lost hope I'd ever get an upgrade to my Dec 2016 S75D. I took my car in for the 25k mile service yesterday and when I picked it up there was a line on the invoice about "increased performance." Apparently they uncorked it! The car feels insanely faster now. Did Tesla just decide to uncork all 75Ds? I didn't even have to ask for it. Woo Hoo!

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
I've been following this thread since day one and had lost hope I'd ever get an upgrade to my Dec 2016 S75D. I took my car in for the 25k mile service yesterday and when I picked it up there was a line on the invoice about "increased performance." Apparently they uncorked it! The car feels insanely faster now. Did Tesla just decide to uncork all 75Ds? I didn't even have to ask for it. Woo Hoo!

Apparently it shows up on the service bulletin if your car is eligible.

Correct.

Tesla's original plan was to slowly do the 'uncorking' for each eligible car during a service visit.
However they underestimated how eager their customers are :)

Just an update. 3 weeks after being told I’d be uncorked after upgrading to 75, and, $2,200 later, I’m still being fed the runaround.

In hindsight, I should’ve insisted on refund verbiage in my requested confirmation email, but I never seen this variable of BS coming.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
What you're saying is not true. The D models have a smaller rear motor, so it cannot have twice the power. Even the P models, which have the larger rear motors, do not have twice the power since they have the smaller front motor.

But in any case, a purely theoretical argument based on just the motor is not that useful. It's never just about the motors but about the motors and battery and all other components working in unison to produce this power.
I was not aware that the D cars had a smaller rear motor than the RWD cars did. That does change things. I was under the impression that D cars had an identical motor in the front and back as the RWD had in the rear, and that the P cars had a beefier rear motor than all others.

I agree with you that everything has to work together, cables, fuses, etc. I would assume cables/fuses are simple to replace and that they would put in cables more than capable than both their motors/batteries are rated for, or at least for D cars twice the capacity of a RWD car, but again that is an assumption.

Thanks for the confirmation on this! Tesla is standing by their comments that 2016/pre-July 2017 S75 RWD cannot support the increased performance due to the "older" drive unit hardware (pre-DU01). It's driving some of the S75 RWD owners crazy as we would have purchased the 75D with any indication that we'd be ineligible for such a drastic performance upgrade. I'm still holding out hope, but I'm not really expecting them to help us out.
I stopped looking at this thread because once the 75D's got the performance improvement and i got a call from headquarters after over one month on my "executive escalation" that 75 RWD was not getting uncorked.... we really got hosed on this .....i just wish it was disclosed as part of my purchase ... as i certainly would have gone for the extra $5K

Reactions: Foxyboy
I stopped looking at this thread because once the 75D's got the performance improvement and i got a call from headquarters after over one month on my "executive escalation" that 75 RWD was not getting uncorked.... we really got hosed on this .....i just wish it was disclosed as part of my purchase ... as i certainly would have gone for the extra $5K

How would they have known about this when you purchased your car?

I was not aware that the D cars had a smaller rear motor than the RWD cars did. That does change things. I was under the impression that D cars had an identical motor in the front and back as the RWD had in the rear, and that the P cars had a beefier rear motor than all others.

I agree with you that everything has to work together, cables, fuses, etc. I would assume cables/fuses are simple to replace and that they would put in cables more than capable than both their motors/batteries are rated for, or at least for D cars twice the capacity of a RWD car, but again that is an assumption.
RWD has the larger rear motor vs AWD