Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$7500 tax rebate - what proof do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I took Model 3 delivery in 2018, so I qualify for $7500 rebate. I wonder what kind of proof will I need to submit to IRS? Should I get any forms from Tesla? Or is it just by the VIN number?
(If just by the VIN number, then what if someone submits a rebate with my VIN number?)
Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: plasmo
Hello everyone, I took Model 3 delivery in 2018, so I qualify for $7500 rebate. I wonder what kind of proof will I need to submit to IRS? Should I get any forms from Tesla? Or is it just by the VIN number?
(If just by the VIN number, then what if someone submits a rebate with my VIN number?)
Thanks in advance.

It's just the VIN. Which is why you shouldn't post your VIN anywhere. A few years ago there were a few cases of people capturing VINs online and fraudulently claiming the credit, totally hosing up the real owner who subsequently attempted to do so.

It's just the VIN. Which is why you shouldn't post your VIN anywhere. A few years ago there were a few cases of people capturing VINs online and fraudulently claiming the credit, totally hosing up the real owner who subsequently attempted to do so.
Wouldn't it be just as easy to walk up to the car read the VIN?

I have no idea how the whole system works, but I would imagine that they could track the VINs that are registered. If there is a duplicate, then they could request that both filers submit proof, and the person without proof could be convicted of tax fraud which is a serious offense. Not sure how they would catch someone using a foreign VIN (or can you figure out the destination country from the VIN?)

I have no idea how the whole system works, but I would imagine that they could track the VINs that are registered. If there is a duplicate, then they could request that both filers submit proof, and the person without proof could be convicted of tax fraud which is a serious offense. Not sure how they would catch someone using a foreign VIN (or can you figure out the destination country from the VIN?)
Yep, agreed. As mentioned above, the IRS will only request the VIN if they need to verify. I told my CPA I bought a Tesla and he is filing my taxes with the credit and didn't ask for the VIN. It will be up to me to provide it should the IRS ask.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
You'd think Tesla would mail us some sort of tax form with all the needed details on it.
I have applied for the credit for another car a few years ago. It's trivial. All you need is the VIN and the date when the car was put into service. In the unlikely case that you get audited, you simply provide the IRS with a copy of the MVPA.

I have applied for the credit for another car a few years ago. It's trivial. All you need is the VIN and the date when the car was put into service. In the unlikely case that you get audited, you simply provide the IRS with a copy of the MVPA.
This, basically you claim the credit if you qualify and provide proof only if asked for it later. No need to provide VIN at time of filing.

If I remember correctly you actually do have to put the VIN into the tax form, but that's it. No documentation required unless you get audited by the IRS, just like everything else in the tax return.
I didn't even have to do that. At least my CPA didn't ask me for the VIN. At least he hasn't yet, maybe when he files the final return??? But so far, I just told him I bought the car and he has accounted for it. It's not on his list of things needed from me to file.

I didn't even have to do that. At least my CPA didn't ask me for the VIN. At least he hasn't yet, maybe when he files the final return??? But so far, I just told him I bought the car and he has accounted for it. It's not on his list of things needed from me to file.

Unless the form changes from 2018 to 2019, I'm pretty sure your CPA will ask for the VIN at some point :)

Or, even easier, couldn't someone just take the VIN 100xxx and enter any three numbers? I know people hide the last three (myself included), but I would assume Tesla uses all 999 xxx numbers?
In theory, no. The VIN has what is called a check digit; not sure exactly what position it's it (looks up with Google; 9th position). It is used to evaluate that the VIN is valid. Does the IRS validate the submitted VIN? Who knows but I wouldn't want to risk it.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia