Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75D vs 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NicB72

Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2016
Concord, MA
So sorry if this has been discussed many times before but I just couldn't find the thread.

So I know I am going to buy vs lease and I know the options I want, autopilot, premium package, upgraded seats, etc. I am stuck between 75D and 90D.

My daily commute is a round trip of 60miles so both are fine. We travel away one weekend a month to friends who are about 200 miles away (so I believe both would be fine). Twice a year we do a trip about 300miles away so yep I will be charging on that one.

I don't mind stopping at superchargers, the number are increasing and its a good social opportunity !

(some questions...)
1) But how far off the stated range for both is reality ?
2) I have read that the 75D is slower to charge than the 90D, really and by how much.
3) I have read that the 75D battery life is worse than the 90D ie. the pack overall will last less time??

Help I am so close to purchasing. ANother test drive today with the wife arranged.

After the range decision the only last choice is color - but I won't start a thread on that :)

Keep in mind that in cold weather your range will be less than advertised (sometimes significantly less).

I think in cold weather months you might have trouble making your 200 miles without a charge in the 75 kWh.

Also remember that over time there will be some battery degredation - you could have 5 or 10 miles less range after a year or two.

Just some further thoughts to consider if you haven't already.

Mike

Reactions: NicB72
I think we've all agonized about this decision.

I had a S70D on order and changed it to a S90D during my 7 day waiting period before the order was confirmed. With that said and with a whopping two weeks driving experience with one 500 mile road trip under my belt, I'll answer your questions, but recognize that's this is all a newbie's views.

1. Range depends a lot of your driving style and weather conditions. If you have 75 degree weather and are happy moving with or a little slower than traffic, you can actually do better than the rated range. However, if it's 20 degrees outside and you have a lead foot, plan on 75-80% of rated range, if not less.
2. Fastest charging at superchargers happens up to 50% of battery capacity. I clocked one of the superchargers on our trip charging my 30% charged 90D at 100kW, which is roughly the average power consumption of 5 houses. So a bigger battery charges faster for longer. However, the difference between the 75 kWh and 90 kWh batteries at 50% isn't that great (a difference of 7.5 kWh), so the charging time difference won't be huge.
3. No one knows actual lifetimes of battery backs because none of them have worn out since Model S's have started shipping!

I think any EV owner will tell you to buy the biggest battery you can afford. All that said, I would have been fine with the 70D battery because I don't mind managing trips and battery capacity. The reason I bought the 90D is that I share the car with my wife, who has little interest in such things and just wants to drive. Clearly the bigger battery provides more range-worry free time in the car.

A lot of this decision really depends on what your budget is like and how much tolerance you have for making more stops than you might otherwise in an ICE or a bigger battery car. I think most Tesla owners will tell you that you adapt your traveling style to your car's range pretty rapidly, regardless of what size battery you get. Yes, the big battery will save you stops a few times a year. The question is whether that time saved is worth the roughly $13K you'll spend to save that time.

Looking back, particularly given that Tesla upgraded the 70D to the 75D while my order was in progress, I would have done fine in a 75D. The 90D just takes some of the fear, uncertainty, and doubt out of driving a EV. Both are awesome cars and I don't think you'll have any regrets with either.

Just my $0.03 ($0.02 indexed for inflation).

• Helpful
Reactions: NicB72 and Austral
(some questions...)
2) I have read that the 75D is slower to charge than the 90D, really and by how much.
3) I have read that the 75D battery life is worse than the 90D ie. the pack overall will last less time??
All good questions.
1) It depends. How fast do you drive on the freeway? If you drive 90 mph like most people in Utah your range will be less than EPA rated.
On the other hand if you drive 60 mph you can often get more than EPA rated range.
2) I know people that have driven a 60 cross country and done it just fine. Most of the time I charge when I am at home and asleep so I could care less.
3) This is total B.S. All Tesla batteries are very robust. LEAF batteries not so much. See Plug In America survey results for more details on this.

Now then if I were buying today I would buy the 90D because I like to get off the supercharger routes and drive the back roads at times. On those days a 90D is the only way to go.

So sorry if this has been discussed many times before but I just couldn't find the thread.

So I know I am going to buy vs lease and I know the options I want, autopilot, premium package, upgraded seats, etc. I am stuck between 75D and 90D.

My daily commute is a round trip of 60miles so both are fine. We travel away one weekend a month to friends who are about 200 miles away (so I believe both would be fine). Twice a year we do a trip about 300miles away so yep I will be charging on that one.

I don't mind stopping at superchargers, the number are increasing and its a good social opportunity !

(some questions...)

Help I am so close to purchasing. ANother test drive today with the wife arranged.

After the range decision the only last choice is color - but I won't start a thread on that :)

If you don't care for the extra performance get the 75 and save some $. I went with the 90D because I am used to sub 5 second cars, and didn't want to downgrade but after having test driven a 70D for 24hrs it is quite quick and would probably have sufficed.

This presentation done on you tube was very helpful in helping me decide between the 70D and thr 90D. I am very pleased with my decision. He does a really great job at breaking it down in plain language. Great PowerPoint presentation. Also he has updated his videos to include the 60. I was torn between two models, and didn't want to make a decision I regretted. Although it's still too early to tell, since I'm a new owner with a whopping 200 miles, I think the 70D will be a great fit for me. Everyone has their own requirements. The video was very helpful for me.

Reactions: NicB72 and Tellotes
Thanks everyone for prompt and informative replies. Yep I have reviewed ev trip planner and love it.
I currently drive an Audi S5 and previous to that a Boxster S so sub 5 second would be great but I decided in the end to be practical, my commute roundtrip is less than 50 miles a day so the 75D is fine for me. Also gave me more money to fully load the 75D.

I'll update when it arrives and do the usual photo's and 'unboxing' review :)