Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$78k PM3 AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also think it’s a bad idea to bring it up. If they can get reliability equivalent to the best ICE drivetrains then drivetrain failures would be a non-issue.
I tend to disagree. Elon has always highlighted EV features that set them apart from their ICE counterparts.

Dual motors is a significant architectural difference from AWD ICE drivetrains. The latter have a single engine and distribute torque to 4 wheels via various splitting and transmission methods. An engine failure means none of the wheels can be driven.

The Model 3 AWD design allows for a motor to fail, yet the vehicle can still be drivable.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, that doesn't mean there can't be other component failures that might paralyze the car, but a motor failure is one less to worry about.

It's possible the Model 3 has improved on the Model S in this regard.

I tend to disagree. Elon has always highlighted EV features that set them apart from their ICE counterparts.

Dual motors is a significant architectural difference from AWD ICE drivetrains. The latter have a single engine and distribute torque to 4 wheels via various splitting and transmission methods. An engine failure means none of the wheels can be driven.

The Model 3 AWD design allows for a motor to fail, yet the vehicle can still be drivable.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, that doesn't mean there can't be other component failures that might paralyze the car, but a motor failure is one less to worry about.

While in theory true, I have read in the Model S thread that if a motor goes you get an error and the car shuts down. While I would like to think an EV is more reliable I think the data on Tesla says otherwise. For example I have had two issues with my Roadster leaving the car stranded an accelerator wiring issues and the 400v controller in 45,000 miles. Yet have had one ICE failure drive belt, in my last 1,000,000 miles

Reactions: cwerdna
There are other accounts of the S having diminished capability yet still be drivable when a motor has failed. So not just in theory.

So like, I say, it doesn't prevent all possible problems, but helps insulate against one class of failures. And as I also mentioned, we don't know if this architecture has been changed/improved in the 3.

When I saw the tweet it reminded of the fact that Tesla drivetrains have horrible reliability. It suggested to me that he is not confident that the problems have been fixed in the Model 3. I may not be a representative consumer though :p
I'm not saying that they shouldn't put the feature in, just that it suggests that the drivetrain is unreliable. Most people who drive cars with less than 100k miles have never experienced a drivetrain failure in any car they own.

Reactions: cwerdna
... Most people who drive cars with less than 100k miles have never experienced a drivetrain failure in any car they own.
Maybe I have just been jinxed. Still, all vehicles brands have had reliability problems. Tesla has certainly had them, but they also were creating an entirely new category of vehicle. I owned an NSU RO80 (the company failed over that one, brilliant though it was), a Rover 2000TC (brilliant but deeply flawed) and a handful of others that worked (DAF 33) and failed (BMW M3 convertible). Until I bought my P85D I never actually thought I would become a brand loyalist but I did, precisely because it accomplished what nobody else could, had flaws, and fixed them one by one. When mine came along t was pretty much flawless, but then they did the X and started over again.

I do not dismiss the challenges but it still is hard to find owners who do not want to keep in Tesla's. They exist, but have far louder voices than ever did gems like the Chevrolet Nova (the name in Spanish is so descriptive), the AMC Gremlin (another well chosen name), the Mustang II, Buick Special, Oldsmobile F-85, Pontiac Tempest...of course those were older US disasters that never really were changing the world. The automotive world is littered with disasters, including a few being produced today.

Then we have Tesla, that really is changing the world. So why do so many influential voices diss Tesla?
1. zero advertising revenue;
2. no auto dealers;
3. no independent maintenance shops;
4. The highest vertical integration since the original Ford River Rouge plant.

Those four characteristics are enough to make millions of dedicated foes.
That makes every Tesla accident an international story. Not even B787 fires got so much attention.
That makes every production glitch a potent of doom.
That makes a small number of service problems into the stuff of absolute production disaster.

My BMW M3 convertible had a transmission replacement at 5,000 miles, and a short block replacement a few thousand miles later. It was so poorly designed that the cowl shake was so bad that the top disconnected while driving. BMW quietly bought my car back, the model was discontinued the following year and AFAIK there was no press coverage.

I do not say this to demean any brand. I do say that Tesla represents a huge threat to the automotive industry because of the four listed factors. None of them have anything to do with BEV's but the business model itself is a huge affront to the established players.

Not sure if this has been posted already in another thread but Bloomberg Surveillance had some really weird reporting last night/early in the morning (Sunday night/Monday morning) about the AWD Tesla Model 3 announcement. They kept calling it a "price hike" :rolleyes: and said things like the Model 3 will "now cost buyers nearly $80,000". And, "what does the hike mean for Musk and his vision?" They kept repeating weird crap about a "price hike" about every 30 minutes when they'd do their news recaps.

Uhh... it's not a "price hike". The $49K car still costs $49K. Just because a $78K version came out doesn't == price hike.

Don't know if they were clueless, confused or Tesla actually prodded them to say that (for optics w/investors).

I'm saving the recording on my TiVo, for now.

So. No suspension/brake upgrades as part of the performance package? That would sure make the price a lot easier to swallow.

Yeah, I was expecting bigger brakes and better suspension for that price. $20k extra is a lot for going from 4.5 down to 3.5 seconds 0-60, some big wheels, and a carbon fiber spoiler. I don't think it's worth more than a $10k premium. I was fully expecting to buy the P3D, too. I also don't understand how he can make the statement "About same [cost]as BMW M3, but 15% quicker & with better handling. Will beat anything in its class on the track." How can the handling be better than an M3 without a suspension upgrade when the current Model 3 doesn't handle better than an M3? I'll stick with the regular LRD instead of the Performance and save myself some money. The P is well within my budget, I just can't justify it to myself with so little difference.

I feel a little bummed about the pretty high premium as well. I'm most likely going to wait further for the same basic dual motor version now.
I also don't understand the claim of "15% quicker and with better handling." It's so vague. 15% quicker at 0-30? 0-60? 0-100? 1/4 mile? on the Nürburgring? 15% quicker driving to Costco?